Hydraulic Roller Lifter Install Clearance

GT1966

Sep 26, 2002
Maine
OK, so I have an '87 roller motor in my '66 GT that was built with a flat tappet cam....don't ask why, I have no idea. Well, the flat tappet cam now has one lobe that's wiped-off. I want to go back to a roller cam that I spec'd through Comp Cams. Engine has World Products Windsor Jr. heads that I've been really happy with. The question: I know I will be changing out valve springs, but can I sneak the roller lifters into their bores without pulling the heads?....Looks pretty tight on the end cylinders just eyeballing it. If I have to pull the heads, then I'll just pull the motor and call it a winter project. If not, I'll just remove the shock tower supports and work on engine in the vehicle. Opinions welcome! Thanks for help on this. GT1966

• Sponsors (?)

why not just pull the intake to change the lifters? Also, what about the metal in the engine from the cam lobe? Might want to tear it down anyways.

Hi,
I've gone through those iterations in lifter changes. But, as was mention, if you wiped a lobe, then by all means tear it down, thoroughly clean and re-build. No question!
As far as the roller's go, you can either go the spyder route or link bars. They both will work, the "links" are more expensive of the two. But the bigger story here is, again, tear it down, otherwise, you'll have no O/P if any now.
BTW, I ran those heads, as well. They help me make 348 RWHP at one point.
Have a nice winter!