Hydraulic Roller Lifter Kit

hivewax

Jan 1, 2006
Miami, FL
need some feedback for the conversion from flat tappet to hydraulic roller for a orig 289 block stroked 347...

will the Comp Cam retro-fit kit p/n 31-1000 for ~$50 get the job done?
or is the Crane hydraulic roller lifters p/n 36532-16 for $500 the greater deal?

• Sponsors (?)

The Comp Cams retro kit isn't all you'll need to do this. You'll also need custom length pushrods, a reduced base circle cam (Comp makes these too), then drill and tap the block for the spyder retainer bolts (carefull you don't drill or tap too far and screw up the cam bearings, if you do, then you'll have to disassemble the motor to fix it) The Crane lifters work with all the std base circle 5.0 roller cams. Not sure what pushrods you'll need though with em. Anyway you choose, it's going to cost you $600 at a minimum to convert to a roller cam.

D.Hearne is right. If you decide to do it anyway (i.e., despite cost), then get the Crane roller lifters so that you can use a std base circle cam - it's stronger and you have better choices in profiles.

D.Hearne is right. If you decide to do it anyway (i.e., despite cost), then get the Crane roller lifters so that you can use a std base circle cam - it's stronger and you have better choices in profiles.
:D Plus you have the choices of numerous, used and second hand cams to choose from, a look thru the classifieds here will net you choices everyday. I've bought a B303 for $50, the Z303 I have in the 331 cost me $115 shipped to my door. That one was NIB second hand. Greet thing about the SN classifieds is there seem to be lots of guys selling there, who buy parts, then change their minds before using them.:rlaugh:
Bought a nearly new set of Ford Y303 heads from there a few months ago for $600
:hail2:

A reduced base circle cam is just that - reduced diameter of the cam core. This weakens the cam and allows it to flex, especially as RPMs climb and more stress is placed on the cam. That's not a big deal if you choose a tame grind and don't plan to wind up the motor. Personally, I know it's dang hard to keep my foot off the accelerator and regularly hit my 6K rev limiter. I would never consider a reduced base circle cam in a "recreational" vehicle.

In addition to Crane, Comp also makes really spendy drop in hydraulic roller cam lifters. Part number 8931-16 at Summit for a 351W and $589.

If you go roller cam, you will most likely need custom length push rods. Crane is able to offer pushrods in any length you need. In my case, I needed different length pushrods for the intake and exhaust, 7.555 and 7.560. Comp could not make these (only offer 1/100 not 1/1000 of an inch) but Crane could and did.

Crane made my PRs in less than a week. When you call, ask for Barbie Coon. I think her extension is 4205.

Update

the Crane lifters should come in this week. the shop is taking their sweet time. they are also getting a custom grind cam not higher than 274. i told him about the 303, but seems too much for street. also, Scorpion roller rocker arms are being used (made in the USA - scorpionperformance.com). what's the news on Scorpion products - good/bad?? any feedback is appreciated...
20080329-scorpion.jpg

I've heard good and bad about scorpion, but those rockers look pretty sweet. Looks like they can package real nice. My trickflow ones arrived with the rockers and locks in random places in the box.