Hydroboost/calipers for a 79 coupe

• Sponsors (?)

I'd have a full plan in place before buying an entire car. The hydroboost from the new edge is a little more desirable and easier to obtain should the donor cars one leak, the front calipers on a gt aren't the most attractive and the spindles stick out further (94/95 is most sought after) . The rear is wider eliminating quite a few wheel choices.

You may find that buying and stripping down a 96 may be more money and effort than it's worth.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
I'd have a full plan in place before buying an entire car. The hydroboost from the new edge is a little more desirable and easier to obtain should the donor cars one leak, the front calipers on a gt aren't the most attractive and the spindles stick out further (94/95 is most sought after) . The rear is wider eliminating quite a few wheel choices.

You may find that buying and stripping down a 96 may be more money and effort than it's worth.
"Hydroboost from the new edge" years and models please? I'm trying to figure out a parts list. Spindles, hydroboost front and rear calipers. Power steering rack and a rear end. Any thoughts on which years and models I should be looking for to find parts listed above?

New edge is 99-04. It’s the more preferred hydroboost unit for feel and parts availability. The spindkes are the same, front brakes are a little bit better, but the rear axle housing is my really desirable. You want an 86-98 8.8 axle housing. You can swap the rear brakes from the new edge over but you’ll need new axle shafts and offset caliper brackets

I’m in the middle of putting a 99-04 hydroboost on my car

New edge is 99-04. It’s the more preferred hydroboost unit for feel and parts availability. The spindkes are the same, front brakes are a little bit better, but the rear axle housing is my really desirable. You want an 86-98 8.8 axle housing. You can swap the rear brakes from the new edge over but you’ll need new axle shafts and offset caliper brackets

I’m in the middle of putting a 99-04 hydroboost on my car

Any thoughts on power steering? Should I get a rack from the new edge also?

Somebody really really needs to do a sticky on hydroboost.. I'm gnna be doing a big block swap in my 90LX and I'd like to use hydroboost brakes on it as well.. This set-up would benefit other engine swaps as well not just coyote swaps.

Reactions: 1 users
Any thoughts on power steering? Should I get a rack from the new edge also?
The rack won't change anything, it's the supply that's the problem, since all the Coyote cars are electric power steering. There are two options. You can get the power steering pump kit from Power by The Hour, or you can put an electric power steering pump out of a Volvo CX90 in it. Check out the facebook group "Coyote Swapped Foxbodies" for more options.

As for the brakes, I just priced out how to convert a foxbody car to Cobra brakes for around $600. SN Cobra brakes are more than the car will ever need on street tires. Bon Appetite.

rear bracket.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=321889900512
Ford Mustang Cobra 11.65" Rear Disc Brake Conversion 79 93 87 Fox body SVT 5.0 | eBay
Cobra 11.65" Rear Brake Conversion for '79-'93 Fox Mustangs & Clones. Our competitors can only benchmark off of us to try and catch up. Designed off of Ford's own prints & CAD models and analyzed through COSMOS FEA software to confirm our own strain gauge data to produce the best design and highest factor of safety on the market.
www.ebay.com

$104.95

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=274491501675
Brake Rotors [FULL KIT] POWERSPORT DRILL/SLOT -Ford MUSTANG 1994 - 2004 Cobra | eBay
Front & Rear POWERSPORT Cross-Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors. Ford MUSTANG [1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004] Cobra, Bullit, Mach, SVT Cobra & 10th Anniversary Edition.
www.ebay.com

$167.52

Front Calipers
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...34933/1994/ford/mustang?q=brake+caliper&pos=0
BrakeBest Brake Caliper - Remanufactured 18B4655 | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Shop for BrakeBest Brake Caliper - Remanufactured Part #: 18B4655 for your 1994 Ford Mustang. Get product details, choose a store, and get directions. Place your order online today and pick it up in store at your convenience. Visit our site for coupons and promotions. Bracketed Brake Caliper With Installation Hardware
www.oreillyauto.com

$59.99 (x2 for each side)

Rear caliper

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...2514/1995/ford/mustang?q=brake+caliper&pos=15
BrakeBest Brake Caliper - Remanufactured 18B4545 | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Shop for BrakeBest Brake Caliper - Remanufactured Part #: 18B4545 for your 1995 Ford Mustang. Get product details, choose a store, and get directions. Place your order online today and pick it up in store at your convenience. Visit our site for coupons and promotions. Brake Caliper; BrakeBest Remanufactured Brake Cali
www.oreillyauto.com
$60.99 (x2 for both calipers)

Brake Pad front

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...2/4548926/1994/ford/mustang?q=brake+pad&pos=1
BrakeBest Select Semi-Metallic Front Disc Brake Pads SM412 | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Shop for BrakeBest Select Semi-Metallic Front Disc Brake Pads Part #: SM412 for your 1994 Ford Mustang. Get product details, choose a store, and get directions. Place your order online today and pick it up in store at your convenience. Visit our site for coupons and promotions. Disc Brake Pads
www.oreillyauto.com
$39.99

Rear Brake Pads
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../5996819/1995/ford/mustang?q=brake+pad&pos=11
Motorcraft Rear Disc Brake Pads NBR627 | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Shop for Motorcraft Rear Disc Brake Pads Part #: NBR627 for your 1995 Ford Mustang. Get product details, choose a store, and get directions. Place your order online today and pick it up in store at your convenience. Visit our site for coupons and promotions. Disc Brake Pads; The only parts recommended by Ford Motor Co
www.oreillyauto.com
$31.99

Add some bolts and some brake lines.

Total $586.41

Kurt

The rack won't change anything, it's the supply that's the problem, since all the Coyote cars are electric power steering. There are two options. You can get the power steering pump kit from Power by The Hour, or you can put an electric power steering pump out of a Volvo CX90 in it. Check out the facebook group "Coyote Swapped Foxbodies" for more options.

As for the brakes, I just priced out how to convert a foxbody car to Cobra brakes for around $600. SN Cobra brakes are more than the car will ever need on street tires. Bon Appetite.

rear bracket.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=321889900512
Ford Mustang Cobra 11.65" Rear Disc Brake Conversion 79 93 87 Fox body SVT 5.0 | eBay
Cobra 11.65" Rear Brake Conversion for '79-'93 Fox Mustangs & Clones. Our competitors can only benchmark off of us to try and catch up. Designed off of Ford's own prints & CAD models and analyzed through COSMOS FEA software to confirm our own strain gauge data to produce the best design and highest factor of safety on the market.
www.ebay.com

$104.95

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=274491501675
Brake Rotors [FULL KIT] POWERSPORT DRILL/SLOT -Ford MUSTANG 1994 - 2004 Cobra | eBay
Front & Rear POWERSPORT Cross-Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors. Ford MUSTANG [1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004] Cobra, Bullit, Mach, SVT Cobra & 10th Anniversary Edition.
www.ebay.com

$167.52

Front Calipers
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...34933/1994/ford/mustang?q=brake+caliper&pos=0
BrakeBest Brake Caliper - Remanufactured 18B4655 | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Shop for BrakeBest Brake Caliper - Remanufactured Part #: 18B4655 for your 1994 Ford Mustang. Get product details, choose a store, and get directions. Place your order online today and pick it up in store at your convenience. Visit our site for coupons and promotions. Bracketed Brake Caliper With Installation Hardware
www.oreillyauto.com

$59.99 (x2 for each side)

Rear caliper

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...2514/1995/ford/mustang?q=brake+caliper&pos=15
BrakeBest Brake Caliper - Remanufactured 18B4545 | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Shop for BrakeBest Brake Caliper - Remanufactured Part #: 18B4545 for your 1995 Ford Mustang. Get product details, choose a store, and get directions. Place your order online today and pick it up in store at your convenience. Visit our site for coupons and promotions. Brake Caliper; BrakeBest Remanufactured Brake Cali
www.oreillyauto.com
$60.99 (x2 for both calipers)

Brake Pad front

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...2/4548926/1994/ford/mustang?q=brake+pad&pos=1
BrakeBest Select Semi-Metallic Front Disc Brake Pads SM412 | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Shop for BrakeBest Select Semi-Metallic Front Disc Brake Pads Part #: SM412 for your 1994 Ford Mustang. Get product details, choose a store, and get directions. Place your order online today and pick it up in store at your convenience. Visit our site for coupons and promotions. Disc Brake Pads
www.oreillyauto.com
$39.99

Rear Brake Pads
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../5996819/1995/ford/mustang?q=brake+pad&pos=11
Motorcraft Rear Disc Brake Pads NBR627 | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Shop for Motorcraft Rear Disc Brake Pads Part #: NBR627 for your 1995 Ford Mustang. Get product details, choose a store, and get directions. Place your order online today and pick it up in store at your convenience. Visit our site for coupons and promotions. Disc Brake Pads; The only parts recommended by Ford Motor Co
www.oreillyauto.com
$31.99

Add some bolts and some brake lines.

Total $586.41

Kurt
That could be a sticky?

I would consider the electric power steering. But that all depends on what you are doing with your car. I ran my coyote swap with manual brakes and manual steering for the last year and a half. I hated the manual steering the brakes did not bother me. I am currently swapping to the volvo eps and seems to be pretty easy. You can use factory lines if desired and its only 3 wires to get it running. Key on power, power and ground. Once I get in to it I will update my build thread.

Check out the facebook group "Coyote Swapped Foxbodies" for more options.

That's the group I've been getting all my hydroboost install info from.

The forums lack info because it is outdated. The maximum motorsports hydroboost kit is a relatively recent kit, but rather expensive. Prior to that, people were taking pedal boxes and making hybrid boxes by cutting and welding and combining the two to make a sort of Fox/SN95 hydroboost pedal assembly. Plenty of write-ups on how to do it, so it really comes down to a time vs money thing with regards to the MM pedal setup. The only think I don't like about the MM kit is the pedal itself. It's fugly. But, I have an idea on how to fix this later.

9A640BCD-43D7-4D41-AE2E-699CF7766421.jpeg.jpg

Ive actually had a conversation with the people from LMR about changing the high pressure hose over to fit the power steering pump from a F-350 that came equipped with hydroboost. Said pump will bolt up to my factory mounting bracket and adequately supply a hydroboost system. Only issue I have is I don't have a complete hose shop in my little garage/shed and I'm still about a year or so away from dropping the bug block in my car.. Gotta get it ready ya know... So it doesn't necessarily have to be electric or a PBJ system to work, there are other power steering pumps that work, it's just a matter of finding what fits..

That could be a sticky?
If you want it to be a sticky I'll add context to it. There's some tricks in there you have to know, like those rear calipers that come with the brackets from O'Reilly's are actually for a Mustang GT, and aren't identical to the Cobra ones, but function the same. The Ford Cobra upgrade kit for a GT actually re uses the factory GT calipers. You also have to know that there are core charges on all this stuff. So don't be an idiot and bring old calipers with you. Buy the calipers first, pay the core charge, and then return the boxes with any junk yard caliper in them. The parts guy doesn't know the difference between a Cobra caliper and one off a Dodge Colt. Moreover, as soon as he slaps a core return sticker on the box, it's someone else's problem, and there is no reason to argue with a customer over it.

Kurt