I Am New!! And Have A Mustang With A Couple Of Questions

Mr. POOPY

Jul 16, 2005
I am NEW!! and have a mustang with a couple of questions. I have a 2.3L mustang. Now the thing stock from my understanding has about 80 HP. If I slap a straight pipe on there, headers, port and polish it, put a cold air intake, K&N air filter, and a turbo II muffler what would my HP be? I am guessing 105.

• Sponsors (?)

Things are a little better but not by much. Your motor came with a whopping 88hp, and you will only need one header. There is a lot of money that would be needed to be thrown at the 2.3 to get a good amount of power out of it. Most will concur about the possibilities of a turbo motor. It’s the best bang for the buck. I have a 92 and I got an 86 Turbo Coupe motor to replace my motor. But the mods that you have listed are a good start to getting more hp out of the 2.3. You might also want to try a cam and a few other tricks for more hp. Hope this helps
Dan

Try here its a good place to start:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=154674

Dan P. said:
Things are a little better but not by much. Your motor came with a whopping 88hp, and you will only need one header. There is a lot of money that would be needed to be thrown at the 2.3 to get a good amount of power out of it. Most will concur about the possibilities of a turbo motor. It’s the best bang for the buck. I have a 92 and I got an 86 Turbo Coupe motor to replace my motor. But the mods that you have listed are a good start to getting more hp out of the 2.3. You might also want to try a cam and a few other tricks for more hp. Hope this helps
Dan

Try here its a good place to start:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=154674
Not to be mean but you really didn't answer my question. I want to know how much Horse Power I will get by adding a K&N air filter, cold air intake, straight pipe, turbo II muffler, and header. And I port and polish. Doing all of that will take me from 88 to? What 115 I am guessing. Turbo is down the road.

Mr. POOPY said:
Oh come on WTF I expected more replys than this!

Be carefull junior. Speak like that and no one is going to want to help you.

Most of us have ran the 2.3 n/a and done this and that to it just to play around. Not many have ever tried to get serious power. it just costs to much. Most of us plan on or have already done the 2.3t swap.

Yes you will see about 115 hp. more if you plan it right. (being EFI)

Carb motors are a bit easier to work on, but are harder to get running right with lots of power.

2.3's are a strongly built motor and can have the piss ran out of them as long as they are maintained. down side is that they dont make power the easiest. newer Ztec motors and such make 200hp in a n/a form.

have fun and welcome to the forums.

TF

TurboFlush said:
Be carefull junior. Speak like that and no one is going to want to help you.

Most of us have ran the 2.3 n/a and done this and that to it just to play around. Not many have ever tried to get serious power. it just costs to much. Most of us plan on or have already done the 2.3t swap.

Yes you will see about 115 hp. more if you plan it right. (being EFI)

Carb motors are a bit easier to work on, but are harder to get running right with lots of power.

2.3's are a strongly built motor and can have the piss ran out of them as long as they are maintained. down side is that they dont make power the easiest. newer Ztec motors and such make 200hp in a n/a form.

have fun and welcome to the forums.

TF
Jr.? How do you know that I am a young one? anyways thank you for your help. :hail2: But I do believe that you can get tons of horsepower out of a 2.3L but it will be costly, also alot of people have gotton serious power out of those engines. Last but not least the new Vtec motors are in the focuses and they produce 151 HP not 200.

Mr. POOPY said:
Jr.? How do you know that I am a young one? anyways thank you for your help. :hail2: But I do believe that you can get tons of horsepower out of a 2.3L but it will be costly, also alot of people have gotton serious power out of those engines. Last but not least the new Vtec motors are in the focuses and they produce 151 HP not 200.

wow.. there is no VTEC in fords period! Zetec, and they can easily be modded to 200 and up.

MagnaflowGT said:
, and they can easily be modded to 200 and up.

My point.
and yes I know that the 2.3 can be modded to get lots of power. however my point was that the motors were designed to be strong (they put them in tractors). they didnt worry about the efficensy (SP) so much and the power rattings.

I must of missed the point that it would cost lots of money to build one up. It does.

i did sum info about my car my 89 2.3 came w/ 115hp and a 190lbs of torque don't know if it is true or not but in my moms 90 ranger it has the 2.3 and i can spin the tires in 2nd gear and its all stock but the tail pipe came off and it sounds like there is a fart can on it it gets up there pretty quick and its so fast

Mr. POOPY said:
I am NEW!! and have a mustang with a couple of questions. I have a 2.3L mustang. Now the thing stock from my understanding has about 80 HP. If I slap a straight pipe on there, headers, port and polish it, put a cold air intake, K&N air filter, and a turbo II muffler what would my HP be? I am guessing 105.

I must have missed this but what year of 2.3L do you have?

up to 90's came with 88 hp and the 91-93's came with 105 -110 hp. The main difference between the two motors is the cam shaft which is a roller shaft on the newer motors. Just swap follower/cam shaft from a 91-93 2.3L DP or Ranger 2.3L DP and this should get you pretty close to 105 with out doing anything else pervided you got the older 2.3L. They also make a nice cam for these motors called a 237a I think but can't remember. The answer to your CAI/K&N question is, about a .5 rwhp gain. I did notice my higher rpms was nicer than the stock set up but nothing else. I'm a little lost on the Headers part since this is an inline 4 banger which only has one manifold/header avaible for it. Anyways, people has notice a nice little gain using a Pace long tube header with a 2.5" exhaust system. There was also a factory header off a Ranger 2.3L but I think the Pace header is better. This whole new exhaust system will probaly net you around 5hp. Now if your using the older 2.3L motor (non DP head) try porting/polishing the head and intakes. Also mill the head a little ( I forget how much) and you should be close to 150hp pervided you did the stuff like cam swap. I also heard of people having good luck with swaping in a set up 19lb injectors out of a stock GT.

PS don't get the Limas ( I think taht is what it's called) verison of the 2.3 mixed up with the Zetec 2.3L. These are completely two different designed motors.

darkstanglx said:
i did sum info about my car my 89 2.3 came w/ 115hp and a 190lbs of torque don't know if it is true or not but in my moms 90 ranger it has the 2.3 and i can spin the tires in 2nd gear and its all stock but the tail pipe came off and it sounds like there is a fart can on it it gets up there pretty quick and its so fast

No, an '89 2.3L would have 88 hp and 132 ft-lbs of torque like all other pre-DIS models.

A '90 ranger would have a DIS engine in it which is rated for 105 hp and 135 ft-lbs. Also a ranger doesn't have much weight over the back tires. My friend in high school had a ranger with a 2.3L in it and it would spin the tires like it was nothing.

Red_LX said:
No, an '89 2.3L would have 88 hp and 132 ft-lbs of torque like all other pre-DIS models.

A '90 ranger would have a DIS engine in it which is rated for 105 hp and 135 ft-lbs. Also a ranger doesn't have much weight over the back tires. My friend in high school had a ranger with a 2.3L in it and it would spin the tires like it was nothing.

gear ratios are also very different!

I am also new with a 91 2.3l. I am wondering what the pipe off the Header manifold that goes to the bottom of the stock intake is? Can anyone help with this.
I'm not talking about the egr pipe

I am also new with a 91 2.3l. I am wondering what the pipe off the Header manifold that goes to the bottom of the stock intake is? Can anyone help with this.
I'm not talking about the egr pipe
Holy crap! 12.5 year old thread back from the dead!

(Answered your questions on your other post.)

Reactions: 1 user