I couldn't take the drone....maybe I'm old...

I loved my Spintech 9000s when I first put them on, but they are wearing on me. I am researching my next muffler and realizing it may come down to trial and error. Luckily there are 5 foxes in the family so my Spintechs could move on to better use. We will see, I just installed a Pro-M EFI system and the sound has changed a good bit so I have to see how that goes. The car only sees maybe 750 miles a year so it isn't like I am driving it very much.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAsy9PQdg00

That sounds great man! I like flowmasters also and MAC.

I think I'm going with a MAC 3" cat-back when the time comes. The 3" pipes should give it a deep bassy sound that I prefer. We'll see.

It's all subjective. Buy what you like and what makes you happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sponsors (?)

I had to trash the drone masters that came in my Mustang. It was annoying even around town. I replaced them with super turbo mufflers, and replaced the BBK off road X pipe with a high flow catalytic X pipe. (I should sell the off-road one as it is in good shape.) Now I cam stand the volume on a road trip and hear the stereo. I like how the turbo mufflers are quieter as I go through the RPM’s at full throttle. It is also less advertising to the legal community how fast my car is going.

Reactions: 1 user
Now I’m almost 50. Man, time flies.

I hear that! Time getting faster, and faster, and faster!!

I met an elderly gentleman today and we talked for a bit.... . he said there was an old German saying “got old too fast, and got smart too slow”. Funny!!

Reactions: 1 users
What? I cannot hear your over the ringing in my ears. And get off my lawn!

I hated the melted out cherry bombs on my first car. Almost straight pipe duals on a six cylinder car sound bad, and it cannot move fast enough to escape the sound. Like a poorly played bagpipe.
I hear that! Time getting faster, and faster, and faster!!

I met an elderly gentleman today and we talked for a bit.... . he said there was an old German saying “got old too fast, and got smart too slow”. Funny!!

The problem here is that when you buy what you like based on what you think sounds great, and it’s noisier than fck, that “ choice” infringes on others people right to not have to tolerate it.
( It’s the rules that grown people use to get along)
Most things that somebody can do to their car to personalize it based on the “ It’s your money, and it’s your car” rule do not impact the other people on the road,..but a loud assed car is different.
Its the same way when dude comes sailing up to the gas station playing hip hop at 120 dB with the windows up, gets out of the car with that sht blaring, goes inside, pays for his fill up, and then fills his freakin tank, listening to “Pants on the Ground, pants on the ground, Hat turned sideways, looking like a fool with your pants on the ground” is goin on inside the car at fire truck siren volume.

Mac pro chamber, Spintechs, and/or Flow masters sound exactly like that when you’re in front of somebody.

Last edited:
I did not know you wrote that hit! I hope you are getting money from Pandora for playing it.
Edit with related short thoughts: I really like this analogy, Mike. If I was rocking Toccata and Fugue in D minor or something polytonal by Charles Ives then went into the store with it loud enough to still enjoy, it would also irritate the snot out of some people.
A prototype seat for the Fiero had speakers in the head rest. (I cannot remember if it made it into production, but they were not there on Dad’s later ones.) With a floor shaker sub right below the seats, the driver could have the full experience, ruin his/her hearing and have much less public sharing.

I have laughed at the stereo systems that would rattle body panels and the rear window louvers. It was like the car was giving the owner the raspberries.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with loud exhaust, my cars usually have a x pipe with macs but given I own a few rattle trap 80's mustangs I don't expect them to sound like a tesla and ride like a m series

Old age too, ran cut outs in the day. Can't take drone anymore, these are plenty loud enough.I like a mufffler you can see through, reminds of the old Cherry Bombs but they don't burn out as quickly. That's the old stock muffler, what a difference. Couldn't beat the price too.
IMG_1930 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1854 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1915 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1930 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1854 - Copy.JPG
Yeah I got killer price on offer up.BBK shorties,x pipe and loudmouth catback for $160.00,only used catback as I have long tubes and catted h pipie.

The problem here is that when you buy what you like based on what you think sounds great, and it’s noisier than fck, that “ choice” infringes on others people right to not have to tolerate it.
( It’s the rules that grown people use to get along)
Most things that somebody can do to their car to personalize it based on the “ It’s your money, and it’s your car” rule do not impact the other people on the road,..but a loud assed car is different.
Its the same way when dude comes sailing up to the gas station playing hip hop at 120 dB with the windows up, gets out of the car with that sht blaring, goes inside, pays for his fill up, and then fills his freakin tank, listening to “Pants on the Ground, pants on the ground, Hat turned sideways, looking like a fool with your pants on the ground” is goin on inside the car at fire truck siren volume.

Mac pro chamber, Spintechs, and/or Flow masters sound exactly like that when you’re in front of somebody.
Yes, but do said Mac, Spintech, and/or Flow masters have an album out yet?

Last edited:
I have some super old flowmaster 44 with flowmaster high flow cats and an X pipe. all behind the 1-7/8 longtubes on the 393... it is fairly quite actually. thats what i want though.. tame sound with a rumble.
I think long tubes are usually quieter than short tubes and the cam lift, duration and lobe separation plays a part too.

I like my ride to always be faster than it sounds
Just purchased super turbo mufflers for my supercharged 306 with Shortys and 2.5” over axle with @5.70 lift 222 / 232 duration and 115 lobe separation
Hope it’s quiet enough for me.
If not I’ll install resonators before the mufflers
I’m 45 years old but when I had my 89 GT in my mid twenties I had three chamber flowmasters and they were definitely quieter than all my friends mustangs.
Quiet and smooth with good deep sound makes me happy

For those that have done the resonator. I have a 93 lx with bbk shorties, o/r x pipe and American thunder flowmasters. The drone is bad. I've done a lot of searching on the resonators and they seem to work. My question is, does the outside exhaust sound cut out at the certain rpm range that you canceled with the resonator? For example, if I cancel the drone at 2k rpm, when I rev the engine will the exhaust sound outside the car get quiet at 2k rpm?

Last edited:
I recently put some flowmaster 40 series on my coupe. They were free, so I figured why not? Well, they sounded good at idle, but after that it just wasn't me. The looks from people as I cruised through a parking lot, the unbearable drone on the freeway, and not being able to hear the stereo just wasn't cutting it. I just replaced them with Dynomax Super Turbo's. The sound difference is unbelievable. It is just the right sound for me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnw0PdwPCyI

Chris

Do you have any drive by or revving clips? I’m interested in getting rid of the drone (flowmasters too) on my fox eventually.

I had the Super Turbos on my car with a off-road h pipe for a few years. They sounded awesome with the stock heads and shorty header, but when I changed the heads to AFR and installed a mild cam they sounded horrible IMO. Idle wasn’t good. Kinda sound like they were “plugged” for lack of better words. They also had a odd sound around 3k RPMs.

I swapped them with Flowmaster 40 series w/ Delta flow tech to help with the drone. Much better. Like I remember in the 90s. A little to loud thought. Might add cats or a resonator at some point.

At the opposite end of the dB scale, the new gas powered crossover that about ran me over in a parking lot today was quieter than the shopping carts and my tinnitus. That’s too quiet.
I really like the idea of the mufflers with an automatic flap that switches between quiet (stealth mode?) and performance flow. Has anyone used them, and how do they flow?