I crashed my stang today (PIC)

gigaman

Jan 23, 2006
So I hit some one in the rear, I tried to stop but these breaks suck lol

no one hurt and the other people didnt want to do insurance stuff as nothing happened to the other car involved...

Anyways it is at a body shop and needs a bumper, hood, radiator, fan, ac condeser, etc... car still runs fine

what would you guys estimate repairs to be about?

Attachments

• crash.jpg
    crash.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 299
  • Sponsors (?)

Ouch. That sucks. :(

If you're anywhere near AZ, I have a hood you're welcome to have for free, just needs paint and a bit of Bondo. Frankenstang also has a complete Aero LX nose with lights and header panel and all (also needs paint) that I'm sure she would be happy to part with for little or nothing. I don't think it would be worth shipping either item if you're too far away to come get 'em, though, as it would become cost-prohibitive... :shrug:

I had a accident with much of the same damage when a hit and run driver cut in front of me. The insurance company totaled the car, and I ended up stripping it for parts and having it towed off.

Unless you have agreed value insurance or you are really good buddies with the insurance guy, they will probably total the car. They will give you a check for what they think they car is worth. When you sign the check, the car becomes their property. You can negotiate to buy it back for a few hundred dollars. To do this, you have to get them to agree to it before you sign the check. However, the car will not have a clear title and you will not be able to register it and get license plates in many states. The insurance company will not insure the car if you buy it back, leaving you with a car you can't get plates for or drive on the streets. Hello race track only car that gets trailered to and from the race track.

Much of this is dependent on the claims adjuster and the state you live in. Once the insurance company receives your claim, they basically own your car title. You cannot take the money and fix the car yourself, it has the be repaired by a commercial auto body repair shop.

not to thread jack.
but i want to know this for myself:

if you wreck, and the car needs towed and its clearly gonna be totaled by the insurance or whatever. they take to your house or what? can you request this and then the insurance adjuster comes and looks at it at your house? my cousin flipped his car it was towed off to a yard.

basically if i do something similar to the op. and i know they will total it cause the bluebook on my car is nothing. how do i buy myself some time to strip it. or are you allowed, especially if the insurance company is cutting you a check(assuming you have the comprehensive):shrug::shrug::shrug: sorry so many questions and for jacking the thread....but if i wreck my 5.0 the parts alone could at least buy me another roller or project add that to a lil insurance check and you could be back in the 5.0 game asap....:flag:
knowledge is money in cases like this. and i want to know...lol

+1

If some bastard destroys my car, salvage title or not, you'd better believe I'm stripping that sucker to the bone and salvaging every last little part off there before I ever let some insurance company basically steal it from me! I don't care if I don't get but a couple hundred bucks for it from the insurance company after buying it back from 'em. My notch might not be worth diddly-squat to them, but I have MORE than a fair amount of good parts in/on there that would be some junkyard owner's wet dream if they carted that thing over to 'em. They would have every goody plucked off of there in a day and slapped on their own personal cars before that thing even spent its first day being available to others for pickin' and pullin'. :mad:

Ditto for my '84 ... although, since it's my DD, the more likely scenario would be that some uninsured crackhead or some illegal Mexican would destroy it for me, in which case I'd probably just pull the remaining good parts off and put teh Notch back on DD duty as I cry over a large pile of salvaged remains sitting in my spare room ... and maybe even dig a really big hole and bury those parts in a memorial service. :cry:

if you line up all the panels and install everything yourself, then its gonna be around 2k by the time its painted. if your radiator support needs to be done, which it looks like it does, well good luck, i could see that being 3500-4000 bucks if a shop did 100% of the work

If you are relying on a body shop to do it all from start to finish that fix is gonna be pricey no doubt. If I had that car here with the help of some friends it could be fixed very cheap. Even then you're still talking $1500.

not to thread jack.
but i want to know this for myself:

if you wreck, and the car needs towed and its clearly gonna be totaled by the insurance or whatever. they take to your house or what? can you request this and then the insurance adjuster comes and looks at it at your house? my cousin flipped his car it was towed off to a yard.

basically if i do something similar to the op. and i know they will total it cause the bluebook on my car is nothing. how do i buy myself some time to strip it. or are you allowed, especially if the insurance company is cutting you a check(assuming you have the comprehensive):shrug::shrug::shrug: sorry so many questions and for jacking the thread....but if i wreck my 5.0 the parts alone could at least buy me another roller or project add that to a lil insurance check and you could be back in the 5.0 game asap....:flag:
knowledge is money in cases like this. and i want to know...lol

You can keep the wrecked car anyplace you wish. Mine sat in my carport for 1 1/2-2 months before I had it towed off. The claims adjuster came to my house to write up the claim report, and had no problem doing that. Most of the time the tow truck driver will ask you were you want the car towed to.

Your best bet is to reach an agreement with the insurance as soon as they decide to total the car. Usually it is $200-$400 to buy the car back, and they take that out of the check they send you. No money out of your pocket and no problems when the wrecker guy asks you for the salvage title.

I took a lot of parts off mine after I bought the car back. No rear axle, no drive line, no transmission, no wheels, no computer or wiring harness, etc when they towed it away. The only things I missed removing were the rear hatch and the side 1/4 windows. The only reason the wrecker truck was able to get the car on his flatbed was I put and empty 20 gallon propane tank under the car to act as a big roller. He took the propane tank with him, saving me the trouble of having to dispose of it.