I created a Monster

mwzimmerman

Dec 21, 2003
I have a 65 Mustang Convertable I've been working on for YEARS. I finally got serious about showing last year and did fairly well, but my engine compartment was always the difference between 2nd and first place.

So I pulled out all the stops, stripped the entire compartment, replaced all old parts with chrome, and went over everything with a fine tooth comb. Around 3-400 hours...

Problem? I think I've created a MONSTER. I've lined the compartment in mirror finish stainless steel, and now the problem I'm having is that ANY little bump or knock scratches...I mean this thing is going to take more care than a newborn.

For those show veterans out there...Is there anything to put onto this stainless to put a protective finish on it to help with this? What would you put on to clean it? I've use the best polish I could find, but it still dulls and scratches. Also, is there anything that I can put on the new paint to give it a harder finish? I've put about 4 coats of clearcoat, but it also is still very vulnerable. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Pic998.jpg
    Pic998.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 259
  • Sponsors (?)

Well, if you've gotten into showing, then do what hardcore show guys do... don't drive the car anywhere, trailer it everywhere, cover yourself with Nerf when handling the car, and frighten people away from coming near the car. This should prevent the car from being in danger of getting damaged, as well as prevent the car from functioning as, well, a car. But hey, at least you'll never have to worry about scratches, dents, etc, or wind in your hair or that annoying feeling of having the steering wheel in your hands...

Seriously though, anything that is mirror polished is typically difficult to maintain. With stainless, you should be able to remove it and have it professionally buffed periodically. If that sounds like a hassle, consider the stuff I mentioned above... :rolleyes:

There is a clearcoat that can be put on the stainless steel....I think its called ZOOP seal or something. NOt suppose to dull the shine and it protects the finish. Sure would be nice if we saw a pic of that engine compartment

Sure, I posted a pic.
ZOOP huh? Thank you I will research that.

I still have the hood to put on. It also will have stainless steel on the underside with a mural of a P51 Mustang in the center.

(My uncle trained for P51's in WWII, but never got a chance to fly)

Thank You

mwzimmerman said:
Sure, I posted a pic.

I still have the hood to put on. It also will have stainless steel on the underside with a mural of a P51 Mustang in the center.

Thank You

Here's the direct link to the site:

http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp

zoopseal-packaging.jpg

quote:

Protect all your polished aluminum, stainless steel and chrome parts from oxidation and eliminate the need for repeat polishing. A kit covers 75 square feet. Easy to apply when following the instructions (and video) provided. Formulated for use on cars, trucks, boats motorcycles, engines, wheels and interior accessories. When applied properly ZoopSeal™ will:

Prevent dulling and oxidation
Retain the polished brightness and luster of aluminum
Eliminate the need for repeat polishing
Be long lasting*
Will work on aluminum, brass, and stainless steel
Be safe to use and environmentally friendly
Eliminate undesirable powder coating or chrome to chip, peel, and yellow
ZoopSeal™ is available in kit form, complete with instructions for only $129.95*

*Plus shipping and handling: $15.00 first kit; $6.00 for each

It's actually one of the best things on the hot rod market right now.

Attachments

• zoopseal-packaging.jpg
    zoopseal-packaging.jpg
    43 bytes · Views: 75
mwzimmerman said:
Sure, I posted a pic.

Thank You

Uhhh....where's your export brace? or at the min your shock tower braces?

And where is all the stainless? I see an engine compartment painted body color...am I missing something :scratch:

Looks purdy though.

dodgestang said:

And where is all the stainless? I see an engine compartment painted body color...am I missing something :scratch:

Looks purdy though.

I don't think he's totally done with it in that pict, notice no distributor cap.. I was expecting a lil bit more stainless also, but I would hate to clean all that on show day even if it's pretty.

oboebrian said:
I don't think he's totally done with it in that pict, notice no distributor cap.. I was expecting a lil bit more stainless also, but I would hate to clean all that on show day even if it's pretty.

I must just be lazy. I never put on my shock tower caps without the export brace in...I hate having to push the shocks down twice :) plus every time I do, I scratch up my caps more so I try to minimize the in and out times on them :nice:

The engine compartment is lined with stainless steel...i mean...around the fenders, over the rad support and against the back firewall. It looks like one of those $300+ kits that mustangs depot sells. Nothing like taking some 18 guage steel, polishing it, cutting it, and selling for $300....hmmmm, i think i have an idea :)

I don't know what's going on, but recently I can't pull up pics for squat. When I hit the link, it just goes to a blank stangnet page with a stangnet logo in the upper left corner.

That said, I'm sure it's freakin amazing, fantastic, solid, bad ass, cool, kewl, hip, hep, groovy, sic, phat........ Or in the parlance of middle aged white guys an outstanding execution.

dodgestang said:

Looks purdy though.

AHHH...Actually a sore subject. I did purchase one of the one-piece chrome export braces, but did not want to get rid of the finished shock tower pieces already welded to the now painted and finished inner shock columns. I was hoping to cut and notch into those existing welded stock pieces...Problem was the new export brace met the Shock tower column at a MUCH steeper angle. So the original two piece tower braces are out at the Chromers, who I talked to today said it will be 12 WEEKS before I see them back...Sheesh...

The engine compartment chrome pieces in question can be seen in the lower left. Sorry for the slightly dark garage pic.

Regards,