I got a Lawyer for us on the Tremec 3650

I have a 2003 GT I got it at the end of may. It only has 2200 miles on it so far the only thing i notice about the tranny is that gear are so close that you could shift in 4th instead of 2ed and i hear that alot from people. I also noticed that coming out of 2ed that car jump out of gear hard. Let me tell you this, now dont get me wrong I love my new GT but its a ford. I knew before I bought the car that ford used junky trannys. If you think that 2ed gear is hard to get in go over to a dodge dealer and test drive a SRT-4 the gear box is so stiff and dont even think about down shifting. If you want a great shifting tranny go buy a honda, VW etc. get an import if you want perfect other wize you better be happy with what you bought because if that is design flaw and not a something that breaks on 1 out of every 3. You realy think ford would recall your car to change the tranny. Even if the tranny was so bad that you had to double clutch all the time i dont think ford you do anythink beside telling you that its ok. I wanted a rear-wheel drive V-8 coupe whats left beside Vette and Viper(both borg-Wagner trannys) I payed 21k for mine so if it get sticky I would expect it.

Anyway how much torque can these trannys take?

• Sponsors (?)

Stang2003GT said:
I have a 2003 GT I got it at the end of may. It only has 2200 miles on it so far the only thing i notice about the tranny is that gear are so close that you could shift in 4th instead of 2ed and i hear that alot from people. I also noticed that coming out of 2ed that car jump out of gear hard. Let me tell you this, now dont get me wrong I love my new GT but its a ford. I knew before I bought the car that ford used junky trannys. If you think that 2ed gear is hard to get in go over to a dodge dealer and test drive a SRT-4 the gear box is so stiff and dont even think about down shifting. If you want a great shifting tranny go buy a honda, VW etc. get an import if you want perfect other wize you better be happy with what you bought because if that is design flaw and not a something that breaks on 1 out of every 3. You realy think ford would recall your car to change the tranny. Even if the tranny was so bad that you had to double clutch all the time i dont think ford you do anythink beside telling you that its ok. I wanted a rear-wheel drive V-8 coupe whats left beside Vette and Viper(both borg-Wagner trannys) I payed 21k for mine so if it get sticky I would expect it.

Anyway how much torque can these trannys take?

Supposedly around 400 ft/lbs

I dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but the shift forks were an issue a while back. I think it's been like a year and a half now. Anyway, when the issue started becoming really big with the 01 Cobra guys, Ford issued a TSB that called for either tranny replacement (for ones with improved shift forks) or tranny rebuilds (for improved shift forks, but SVT reccomended complete replacement).

I had three 3650s under warranty. They can't take much power. I definitely don't believe 400 ft-lbs. The things should never have been used. The synchros and shift forks suck and the input shaft is the same garbage that came with the T45. My sister has a 2002 GT and I think her tranny is begininng to have issues and she hasn't even tracked it yet...

Well as I said earlier, I've been researching this for a long time now and with working at an assembly plant I have people to help me get in touch with people at Dearborn.

One of the main concerns right now is the 3650 has brass synchro sets as apposed to the carbon/paper type material on earlier trannys.

The problem is when the tranny gets warm the brass gets even warmer causing the brass to warp thus causing grinding issues and popping out of gear and the notchy shifting depending on how bad the warping is.

This is straight from a Tremec Rep at Dearborn. I asked him about a recall and he said he couldn't talk about it but that it is probable.

psnous said:
Well as I said earlier, I've been researching this for a long time now and with working at an assembly plant I have people to help me get in touch with people at Dearborn.

One of the main concerns right now is the 3650 has brass synchro sets as apposed to the carbon/paper type material on earlier trannys.

The problem is when the tranny gets warm the brass gets even warmer causing the brass to warp thus causing grinding issues and popping out of gear and the notchy shifting depending on how bad the warping is.

This is straight from a Tremec Rep at Dearborn. I asked him about a recall and he said he couldn't talk about it but that it is probable.

AT LEAST FORD USES BRASS , I HAD A 1985 MONTE SS WITH ONLY 19,000 MILES ON IT AND A LITTLE OVER 1 YR OLD . THE OVER DRIVE TRANS WENT . THE GM PEOPLE USED NYLON BUSHINGS IN BETWEEN THE CLUTCH PLATES . WHEN HEATED UP STARTED TO BRAKE DOWN AND GO THREW THE TRANS FLUID AND WEAR OUT THE CLUTCH PLATES ON MY AUTO . THEY HAD A ALOT OF TRANNYS TO REDO AND MANY CUSTOMERS PAID BECAUSE THE WARRINTY WAS OVER, BUT NO RECALL .!!!! THATS IS A JOKE ... ON YOUR 3650 HAVE YOU DRAINED YOUR GEAR BOX AND PUT IN A GOOD SYNTHEIC OIL .THAT WOULD DO WOUNDERS I BET .

SHAKKER said:
AT LEAST FORD USES BRASS , I HAD A 1985 MONTE SS WITH ONLY 19,000 MILES ON IT AND A LITTLE OVER 1 YR OLD . THE OVER DRIVE TRANS WENT . THE GM PEOPLE USED NYLON BUSHINGS IN BETWEEN THE CLUTCH PLATES . WHEN HEATED UP STARTED TO BRAKE DOWN AND GO THREW THE TRANS FLUID AND WEAR OUT THE CLUTCH PLATES ON MY AUTO . THEY HAD A ALOT OF TRANNYS TO REDO AND MANY CUSTOMERS PAID BECAUSE THE WARRINTY WAS OVER, BUT NO RECALL .!!!! THATS IS A JOKE ... ON YOUR 3650 HAVE YOU DRAINED YOUR GEAR BOX AND PUT IN A GOOD SYNTHEIC OIL .THAT WOULD DO WOUNDERS I BET .

Yes, I put 3 quarts of Royal Purple tranny fluid in it along with about a 1/4 tube of friction modifier.

Is this still ongoing? I hadn't checked the 4.6 forum in a while. I have major problems with teh 1-2 shift in my car, it just doesn't like going into 2nd. I've had the dealer look at it twice, both times they 'fixed it' but the problem persisted.

They notice the problem, claim to replace 'broken' parts but it persists.

If this is still ongoing, let me know and I will fire an email.

I put a B&M shifter in at about 1000 miles. I thought the tranny whine was kind of normal - at least that's what everyone said at the time. On cold days the whine is more noticable and the shifts harder. 2002 GT 13500 miles.

Manu said:
Is this still ongoing? I hadn't checked the 4.6 forum in a while. I have major problems with teh 1-2 shift in my car, it just doesn't like going into 2nd. I've had the dealer look at it twice, both times they 'fixed it' but the problem persisted.

They notice the problem, claim to replace 'broken' parts but it persists.

If this is still ongoing, let me know and I will fire an email.

It appears to be losing steam. You may want to try to find the thread starter, haven't had an update in a long time.

GiddyUp!

:nice:

Ok I hate my car!!!!!!!
I factory orderd my 02 GT last year and I noticed that the trans shifted very poorly, and yes 1st to 2nd gear felt horrible, but ok when the car warmed up.
Then a few monthes later no matter how slowly you let the clutch up during a shift the trans would clunk.

That trans was replaced by Ford a month ago and the new one feels worse!!!!!!
I never would have thought that Ford would mass produce such a poorly engineered transmission.

I now hate driving the car because I just expect the trans to shift poorly and it does so and then some! :bang:

I think I'am going to sell it and take a loss because I can't take this anymore.
ps. The car also has a ton of other little issues that are driving me NUTS!!!!!!!!
Thanks Bill for a great product! :notnice:

hardrock said:
Ok I hate my car!!!!!!!
I factory orderd my 02 GT last year and I noticed that the trans shifted very poorly, and yes 1st to 2nd gear felt horrible, but ok when the car warmed up.
Then a few monthes later no matter how slowly you let the clutch up during a shift the trans would clunk.

That trans was replaced by Ford a month ago and the new one feels worse!!!!!!
I never would have thought that Ford would mass produce such a poorly engineered transmission.

I now hate driving the car because I just expect the trans to shift poorly and it does so and then some! :bang:

I think I'am going to sell it and take a loss because I can't take this anymore.
ps. The car also has a ton of other little issues that are driving me NUTS!!!!!!!!
Thanks Bill for a great product! :notnice:

You and many others are in the same boat. Thats why I am not having mine worked on until something serious happens. Seen too many times where reaors / replacements were done with the outcome being worse! Thats what warrenties are for I guess.

By the way, Ford didn't mass produce them. They are made by Tremec.

GiddyUp!

psnous said:

:bs:

TKOs and 3550s also use brass synchros people with these transmissions are not having problems. Only problem with brass synchros is that they wear down faster due to poor driving.

Bill

Silly34
I emailed the web master with the T-3650 issue. He said he has heard lots of complaints, but hasn't got any dirt on it.

Mustang92
It is far too many people to blame it on bad driving. I have driven a standard car since I got my license. I have been to a 3-day racing school and 3 years of SCCA solo2 driving. I have not abused this trans at all and it has had problems from 8000 miles on. Some people are having issues from almost day one, less than 1000miles.

Twisted said:
Mustang92
It is far too many people to blame it on bad driving. I have driven a standard car since I got my license. I have been to a 3-day racing school and 3 years of SCCA solo2 driving. I have not abused this trans at all and it has had problems from 8000 miles on. Some people are having issues from almost day one, less than 1000miles.

Did you hear me blame all the problems on bad driving? No. I said brass syncros go bad quick with bad driving and that brass syncros are not the issue. This isn't the first tranny with brass syncros so this is nothing new to the transmission world. My TKO has brass syncros and my car is having a severe heat problem but yet amazingly it hasn't "warped" them. Is there and issue with the tranny maybe but it's not because brass warps. You have 250 people on your list thus far but out of the thousands of cars with the 3650 trans that's still pretty insignificant.

Bill

Mustang92

Bill,
Yes 250 out of 300,000+ is a small number. What really counts is the one person who hasn't abused their trans and is having problems. The little person has no power against Ford. Now we have 250 little people with the same problem. I understand that there is a good chance that many of those 250 beat the ****e out of there trans or don't know how to drive. For me, I know how to drive, I spent 22K+ on a brand new car and the trans shifts worst then my older cars with 164K and 250+k on them. Maybe I got a bad trans, maybe there is a problem. Either way Ford is straight out lying to my face that this "IS NORMAL."

The fact that they say this "is normal" means they are hiding something.

Twisted said:
Bill,
Yes 250 out of 300,000+ is a small number. What really counts is the one person who hasn't abused their trans and is having problems. The little person has no power against Ford. Now we have 250 little people with the same problem. I understand that there is a good chance that many of those 250 beat the ****e out of there trans or don't know how to drive. For me, I know how to drive, I spent 22K+ on a brand new car and the trans shifts worst then my older cars with 164K and 250+k on them. Maybe I got a bad trans, maybe there is a problem. Either way Ford is straight out lying to my face that this "IS NORMAL."

The fact that they say this "is normal" means they are hiding something.

How many dealers have you taken it to? When you refered to the "many of the 250 who beat the ****e out of thier trans", those are the people you should be upset with (as well as Ford). They are the one's making it difficult for others to get legitimate serivce done on our vehicles. They do this by abusing the trans and claiming Ford should repair / replace under warrenty. Good luck.

GiddyUp!