I got a P0103 code! What does that mean?

TheSalad

Aug 3, 2003
Utah
Right,
So I have pretty modded setup here. I was dinking around with my Super-AFC computer, but I didnt change anything.
Anyway, after a while of my car sitting, I went out to it to start it up, and as I put it into first, and gave it gas to go, it wasnt taking the gas, the RPMs dived, and it started to buck. I know the code has to do with the MAF, but I am not sure how, or what is going wrong. So, I pulled out my code reader, found out that it is the p0103, and the erased it, and my car ran fine all the way home. Didnt drive it today, but as night came, I needed to go out. I started it up, and it did the same thing, give it a little gas, and the revs died, and it started bucking.
Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? What can I do to fix it?
Any help would be nice...thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I havent messed with anything under the hood, I also last night, pulled it out, then hooked it back up, but not sure if that resolved the issue...anyone else seen this before?

TheSalad said:
Well, I havent messed with anything under the hood, I also last night, pulled it out, then hooked it back up, but not sure if that resolved the issue...anyone else seen this before?
Ok did you pull it out before or after the code? If before it might have thrown the code when you plugged it back in.
Have you cleaned the MAF yet? again just an idea.

I took out the MAF, and it appears to be pretty clean.
What are the chances that a can of that stuff will fix it? Or do you think it is the actual part, like the whole black sensor thing?

What should I do? I am tempted just to buy a whole new assembly..

TheSalad said:
Right,
So I have pretty modded setup here. I was dinking around with my Super-AFC computer, but I didnt change anything.
Anyway, after a while of my car sitting, I went out to it to start it up, and as I put it into first, and gave it gas to go, it wasnt taking the gas, the RPMs dived, and it started to buck. I know the code has to do with the MAF, but I am not sure how, or what is going wrong. So, I pulled out my code reader, found out that it is the p0103, and the erased it, and my car ran fine all the way home. Didnt drive it today, but as night came, I needed to go out. I started it up, and it did the same thing, give it a little gas, and the revs died, and it started bucking.
Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? What can I do to fix it?
Any help would be nice...thanks!

1. you could remove the super afc and see if you still get the code and rough running engine. that would help you see if its your super afc is the culprit.

2. clean the maf. i dont know about spraying anything on the maf. usually remove the maf and go with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol to clean. i generally have to do this when a car sits for months with the maf exposed to dust and dirt because i had the air filter off. but since your car has been running before this happened, this probably wont do anything.

3. just replace the maf. problem is the maf itself.

I am glad that this story has a happy ending. I got to thinking, and trying to figure out what had gone wrong.
I thought, and thought, and decided to look at the "Super AFC" stuff on google. I got there, and found out that you have to set a mass air flow setting, whether it is pressure, flap, karman, or whatever. I remembered tinkering with that, so, I got up, and set it to the right setting, started it up, and let the beast roar!

It's all good now.
Thanks for all your help.

Now just to figure out where the coolant is coming from...it is on the drivers side, behind the block. Just a little bit comes out. When the engine is hot, 3,500rpms, it starts to steam as the coolant gets on the L/Ts....

Any ideas?
Just about to jack it up and get under the bad boy.