I got bored last night and took it out on my Son's antenna.

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Pensacola FL
I have a habit of docking the antennas on my cars, and I was bored while dinner was in the oven last night, and modded the 94 GT's antenna.

I usually cut the antenna and top it with a sterling silver bead from a necklace kit I found years back.
The kit had all sorts of funny shaped beads in all different sizes.
I particularly liked the little "flying saucer" shaped beads.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the stash of beads, so I topped the antenna with a stainless steel ball that was originally the knob on a cable operated side view mirror of a Ford Fairmont.

Didn't turn out too bad IMO...
0206131414-01.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Funny thing. I started the antenna docking on my Foxes back about 1995. I would buzz them off with a cut off wheel about roof height or a little less. Then my topper is a rubber cover from the trip odometer reset from a 96-02 Chevy truck with a little black rtv inside. Works every time. My current car has a full length as I have grown out of the phase.

Neat. I always chop the antennae on a Mustang too. I take the original ball off by slamming it through a vice really quick. Then I cut the antennae and file it down till it almost fits back in the ball all the way. Then with the ball in a vice, I heat it with a torch until it turns red and expands. Then I tap the antennae into the ball a few times on the ground until it seats all the way. When it cools and contracts it's on there really tight. Then of course a quick paint job. It actually doesn't take as long as it sounds.

Kurt

Neat. I always chop the antennae on a Mustang too. I take the original ball off by slamming it through a vice really quick. Then I cut the antennae and file it down till it almost fits back in the ball all the way. Then with the ball in a vice, I heat it with a torch until it turns red and expands. Then I tap the antennae into the ball a few times on the ground until it seats all the way. When it cools and contracts it's on there really tight. Then of course a quick paint job. It actually doesn't take as long as it sounds.

Kurt

That's a good idea.
I tried getting the ball off this last one since I didn't have any beads, but I guess I didn't slam it hard enough to pop it off.
I think it took maybe 1/2 an hour to do, and most of that is getting the paint dry enough to lightly set it back into the fender.
Then I screw it in tight the next day.

Very good point! If I could have afforded to put a cowl hood on my GT at 19 I most likely would have too. Mine was an '89 GT and was completely stock on the outside minus a Mach 1 style Cervini's hood that the previous owner had installed. It made the whole car to me, so I can understand.

Very good point! If I could have afforded to put a cowl hood on my GT at 19 I most likely would have too. Mine was an '89 GT and was completely stock on the outside minus a Mach 1 style Cervini's hood that the previous owner had installed. It made the whole car to me, so I can understand.

My 66 GT has a cowl hood that I thought looked awesome when I was 16 and built the car. Now I can't wait to put the stocker back on. What a mistake.