I got popped by police for my exhaust

mpeach1976

Feb 14, 2014
My exhaust isn't super loud... I have a '14 Mustang GT with 40 series flowmaster axle backs and resonator delete... other than that the exhaust is stock. Has anyone else had a problem with a similar set up or had a similar set up tested... and what were the results? I want to get it tested on the flowmaster so if it does pass, I won't have to pay any violation fees. Funny enough nobody has complained about exhaust except the cop... maybe he's not a car guy, or likes camaro or ricers... who knows. Anyway thanks for any feed back in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

mpeach1976,

Location: CA is pretty persnickety about sound levels. If you can find a decibel meter, you can collect your own readings and go to court to fight the ticket. The resonator deletes add more dB to the exhaust so an option is to install some round straight-through mufflers to tone it down a bit. IIRC, MBRP makes M80 mufflers that fit and reduce the sound level without restricting flow. Maybe Flowmaster has something a little more mellow than the Series 40's? That may be a cheaper and/or simpler option than installing M80's.

Throttle: If your car has a free-flowing exhaust (i.e.--loud) then you have to drive kinda like grandad around town or the police will notice you and may want to have a conversation.

Hopefully, somebody will chime in and give you the info you need. :D

Chris

mpeach1976,

Location: CA is pretty persnickety about sound levels. If you can find a decibel meter, you can collect your own readings and go to court to fight the ticket. The resonator deletes add more dB to the exhaust so an option is to install some round straight-through mufflers to tone it down a bit. IIRC, MBRP makes M80 mufflers that fit and reduce the sound level without restricting flow. Maybe Flowmaster has something a little more mellow than the Series 40's? That may be a cheaper and/or simpler option than installing M80's.

Throttle: If your car has a free-flowing exhaust (i.e.--loud) then you have to drive kinda like grandad around town or the police will notice you and may want to have a conversation.

Hopefully, somebody will chime in and give you the info you need. :D

Chris
Thanks for the feedback... I've since aquired a decible meter and it read 104db (while legal is 94db) at up to 4,000 rpm... with that I'm going to put my stock mufflers back on and once it passes, I'll start over... maybe some mock resonators like you suggested and a more tame muffler.