I guess this is my 04 GT progress thread

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Savoy TX
Well, it's all stuff that's already been done, but it's as close to a progress thread that I'll ever have.

Pics taken by the car lot before I bought it, 100% stock besides Flowmasters:

04front.jpg

04leftside.jpg

04rear.jpg

04rightside.jpg

Stock, but at home:

IM000345.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

After a couple of weeks, with a Mach 1 grill delete and with my buddie's car he had for a couple of days:
bb1.jpg

004.jpg

Then I put wheel spacers on back with stock wheels and ride height. It was a good improvement in looks until I could get new wheels and new stance.

005-3.jpg

Then it got backed into by a crazy bitch right before Mustangs Across America 45th anniversary cruise:
000_0002-1-2.jpg

The front before the cruise, car 617:
000_0002-2.jpg

At the cruise next to a nice Roush 427R:
MAApic.jpg

Next I tinted the tailights, followed by the black tail panel overlay the next day:

100_0564.jpg

100_0754.jpg

Then it stayed like that for a while, until I polished the headlights and put on a Mach 1 chin spoiler, which I don't have any pics of, because a few days later this happened:

100_0800.jpg

Now we begin the rebuilding.

1200$ later got me this:

100_0908-1.jpg

And with my new fenders and the spare hood of a 96 I had (just to keep the elements off the motor), and a new gas door my wife bought:
100_0902.jpg

100_0903.jpg

Threw the old beat up cover back on:
100_0907.jpg

The next weekend, I scored this hood and got the cover on good enough to drive it, which I've been doing pretty often the last couple of months.
100_0921.jpg

100_0920.jpg

100_0917.jpg

Then I bought this:

100_0981.jpg

And put in the fogs and bezels:

100_0991.jpg

Oops, double post.

Anyways, I'm almost done now, and it will look better than it did before. I should have the fenders and hood painted within a couple of months. I think I'm going to have the recessed part of the hood done in black also.

Also, what I didn't take pics off is the off road X, BBK plenum, CAI, drilled and slotted rotors, caster/camber plates, some misc. Energy Suspension bushings, new gauges, and misc interior stuff that I've done to it. I'm constantly trying to improve this car, even if it's little stuff.

Wow, much respect for rebuilding her. Good job dude, keep it up.

Thanks. I owe a lot of that to my wife. She WOULD NOT let it go. You should have overheard the conversations between her and the insurance co. that wanted to keep it.

It was her decision as much as it was mine to fix it. I didn't realize we were that attached to the car. We bought it right after we got married, and it's been through a lot just like us.

Oh, if the right deal comes along on a Sonic Blue 03-04 Cobra this one will be gone though, lol!

Did they total it and you buy it back? Nice work, definitely not a light hit to replace yourself.

Yeah, it was totaled and we bought it back. It really wasn't near as bad as it looked. The buckled hood made it look way worse than what it was. But I did have a pro replace the radiator support, front fender aprons (everything behind that was fine), and frame horns, basically all the stuff I couldn't do.

That guy specializes in Mustangs for a living though, so he really knows what he's doing. He did an awesome job except for the paint looking a little too purple, but since it's all under the hood and it's not popped that much, it's not a big deal.

Nice job putting her back together! Way to persevere with the insurance company.

Question about the '96 hood - how close was the fitment on that? Is it just sitting on there or did you (or would it) bolt up? I wouldn't have guessed a 94-98 hood would have been that close on a New Edge, I always assumed the fender and nose profiles were different.

Nice job putting her back together! Way to persevere with the insurance company.

Question about the '96 hood - how close was the fitment on that? Is it just sitting on there or did you (or would it) bolt up? I wouldn't have guessed a 94-98 hood would have been that close on a New Edge, I always assumed the fender and nose profiles were different.

It bolted up to the hinges, but that's about it. The fenders and the hood slope down/forward differently so it doesn't really match up there. The length was also a little off.

I had it laying around, and the other hood was ****ed, so I stuck it on there to keep the rain out until I got my other hood.

I could swear I've either seen an SN95 with an entire new edge front clip or a new edge with an entire SN95 front clip. It seems like everything bolted up just fine if you did the whole front end, but the lines were way off for the doors, obviously.

It bolted up to the hinges, but that's about it. The fenders and the hood slope down/forward differently so it doesn't really match up there. The length was also a little off.

I had it laying around, and the other hood was ****ed, so I stuck it on there to keep the rain out until I got my other hood.

OK, that's what I was expecting. It actually looked pretty close in a couple of those pics.