i HATE my resonating exhaust! PLEASE HELP!!!

forrealb50

May 5, 2003
VA
I got an 89 GT, with FMS shorty headers, Basanni X-pipe, Dynomax super turbo mufflers. Driving around the city isn't that bad but when I get on the high way, HOLY HELL, my head feels like its going to explode between 65-90 mph! The resonation doesnt go away and after driving an hour my head is killing me.

Why does my exhaust resonate so much? I had flowmasters 2 chamber on their before and it didn't resonate this much. The dynomax did make it a lot quiter, but when I get on the highway the resonating is worse!

What are the quitest mufflers I can buy? I want it to sound absolutly silent inside the car!!! I can't take this anymore!

:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

forrealb50 said:
I got an 89 GT, with FMS shorty headers, Basanni X-pipe, Dynomax super turbo mufflers. Driving around the city isn't that bad but when I get on the high way, HOLY HELL, my head feels like its going to explode between 65-90 mph! The resonation doesnt go away and after driving an hour my head is killing me.

Why does my exhaust resonate so much? I had flowmasters 2 chamber on their before and it didn't resonate this much. The dynomax did make it a lot quiter, but when I get on the highway the resonating is worse!

What are the quitest mufflers I can buy? I want it to sound absolutly silent inside the car!!! I can't take this anymore!

I'm right there with you on not wanting to put up with the drone, since I have 3 chamber flows. The drone at highway speeds is very annoying. The DynoMax mufflers are supposed to be quieter than 3 chamber flows, and you tell me that they still drone too much for comfort.

Steeda makes a stainless steel sleeper muffler that isn't supposed to drone until you reach 3500 RPM. At least that’s what the sales guy told me...

The catch is that they are $126 each for 2 1/2" exhaust. The 2 1/4" ones are $100 each. Right now the $252 + shipping + new flow pipes and probably new tail pipes puts it out of my price range. I totaled up the numbers for all the above parts and it was like $436 for everything. Maybe the local auto parts could beat the prices for the tail pipes & flow pipes by a few $$$, but it is still expensive.

I have given some thought to adding sound deadener insulation to the car. At $436, I could buy a lot of sound deadener sheets and still keep the "Mustang Rumble". A sheet that is 35 square feet is $100. That's 2 foot wide by 17 1/2 feet long. That should do the hatch area and most of the passenger compartment. See http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html for more info.

forrealb50 said:

I have magnaflow and it sounds pretty good, it's not loud unless you really get on it, I have a bassani x as well with a complete maganflow cat-back system, it's a little louder than stock at idle and doesn't really open up til 3500 or so, so you should be fine with highway driving..

I got 2.73's in there and and I can't go above 65 or I get really bad droning. Once I get to around 70-75ish Im around 2000 rpms and it drones really bad. Maybe the exhaust is touching the body somewhere because this is just crazy. The mufflers are so quite until I hit the droning on the highway.

If your bassani X-pipe is an off-road model, then getting a catted pipe would quiet it down to pretty much stock levels with your Dynomax mufflers. Dynomax mufflers are known as one of the quietest mufflers you can get, so if the noise is still too loud for you, I would guess it's the off-road pipe making it still too loud for you. But I realize that if you've spent the money on a Bassani X-pipe (I have the same one), then getting another one probably doesn't sound too good to you. The only muffler I've ever heard of that's quieter than a Dynomax is like a stock-style muffler, like Maremont or something.... and the biggest, longest one you could fit under the car.
If your Bassani IS a catted one, and is too loud for you with Dynomax's, then I don't know what to tell you. I don't know how you could get it any quieter than that, besides the Maremont stock-style mufflers I mentioned.
Hope this helps and good luck with it! :)

One thing you could try is replacing most of one of your flowtubes with a Dynomax Race Bullet or a resonator or small glasspack. Thats using the same tecnique the factory had of making one muffer a little larger than the other.

I know the feeling. Flowtech Shorties/X/Flows. The headaches, ringing ears, and rattling interior trim gets old really fast.

You'll hate it, but cats get rid of the drone. They destroy the exhaust pulses, and quite the exhaust down a lot.
I have a 2.3 with a full 2.5" exhaust and a superturbo (no cat) and I definatly have a bad drone at 2500rpm. Good thing highway cruise is 3000rpm. :D

I read this on stangnet, forget who wrote it. If you look at a stock stang, one muffler is 3" or so forward of the other. This slight change in distance from the header is enough to stop the drone. This would be relatively cheap to try considering what you already spent. I know a guy who has the same mufflers as me and his are offset, mine are side by side. Night and day difference, his car is so quiet and mine drones badly. I am like you, I like the sound of my car, till I hit the highway.

Yup, Super turbo's are the quitest mufflers outside the car, but drone like hell, depending on your application at 1800-2000 rpm. With the stock gears and speed your turning around 1800rpm, right in the "drone zone". I had the same problem.
So I added a higher gear ratio, 3:55's and it quited it down on the highway now, traveling at 2200rpm, but I now have it in town cruising around 35mph. Not as bad.
So it's your choice, gear swap or play around with new mufflers. I'd keep the X-pipe.

Been there, done it, got the T-shirt on this one! I was really disappointed when I put Dynomax Super Turbos on my otherwise stock 89 GT--I ended up cruising in 4th on the highyway to save my hearing!! Drone is not the same as a loud exhaust note and it's not pretty. I shopped long and hard for my current exhaust setup because I swore that I would do anything to avoid another droning exhaust system.

My current setup is MAC unequal shorties, a Pacesetter off-road X-pipe and a Bassani Street Thunder cat back. Bassani puts resonators inside the tips of their catbacks to eliminate drone and I can attest first hand that it really works!

This combo = NO DRONE--just a great sounding exhaust.

Good luck!