I Have A Gift For Those Seeking Knowledge.

89SportVert

Jun 29, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Greetings fellow members of Stangnet,

First I must say that I was unclear which forum I was to put this information nor if this information was even allowed on this site. I have acquired MVMA sheets for the FOX years of Mustang. I have posted them to a non-profit site. Yes I volunteer for the site, and yes we offer paid subscriptions. However there is a ton of factory Brochures, Cards, Posters, Ads, Specification sheets and more that is completely free. As will be all the AMA/MVMA sheets we provide. If you don't know what a AMA/MVMA sheet is, here is the definition used by us on the site:

Automobile Manufacturers Association (AMA) - Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association (MVMA)

The Automobile Manufacturers Association was a trade group of the major automobile manufacturers which operated under various names in the United States from 1911 to 1999.

In 1911 the Automobile Board of Trade was formed, and in 1913, this became the National Automobile Chamber of Commerce. In 1934, this group renamed itself to the Automobile Manufacturers Association. In 1939, it moved its headquarters from New York City to Detroit, where most manufacturers were based.

During the early stages of World War II, the association played a role in adapting American automotive manufacturing capabilities towards arms production efforts, especially regarding large aircraft engines. Some 654 manufacturing companies joined, and produced nearly $29 billion in output for the Allied military forces.

Following the horrible crash in 1955 at Le Mans disaster and the 1957 NASCAR Mercury Meteor crash into the grandstands, the Automobile Manufacturers Association placed a ban on factory-supported racing. The ban began to ebb in 1962 when Henry Ford II announced that the Ford Motor Company would again begin participating openly in racing.

In August 1972, the group changed its name to the Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association, to reflect the growing importance of truck makers. In 1986 the association ruled that foreign transplants had to manufacture half their American sales within the country in order to join. In . By 1992, Toyota and Nissan were able to meet the membership mark and qualify to join.

In late 1992, the group changed its name to the American Automobile Manufacturers Association, and moved their headquarters from Detroit to Washington, D.C., in order to have a stronger governmental presence.

The DaimlerChrysler merger of 1998 meant there were only two American-only manufacturers, too few for an organization. Thus the Association closed in January 1999.

Part of the requirement of membership was that the manufacturers were to submit a fact sheet called "AMA Specifications" on each make and model car. These sheets are 10 - 30+ pages in length and provide almost every significant specification on the model. They were completed by the engineering departments first-hand and the manufacturers were required to update these during the year if changes were made.

These AMA spec sheets can be found in this Factory Publications Specifications Section. All are in PDF format and can be downloaded.

I have started with;
1979 - FORD - Mustang - Ghia

1985.5 - FORD - Mustang - SVO

1989 - FORD - Mustang - LX - GT

1993 - FORD - Mustang - LX - GT - Cobra

All of these and can be seen at:

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-bin/pub9990334158924.cgi?categoryid=9990563992329

It takes me about a week to sort, clean, organize.

We have almost 600 of these multi-page documents from 1947 thru 1999. We have only uploaded roughly 100.

I hope you all will find these interesting and helpful. I will post as I add years.

John Winn
Automotive History Preservation Society

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

That's very good info. I downloaded and saved the 1989 pdf as it's probably closest to my '88.

But cool info to see the various specs on the various components in the car

And here I thought there was gonna be some path to enlightenment, or something....only to find a bunch of stuff about a mustang.

Tip?....

Oh there'll be no tip. But when you die, on your death bed, you'll receive total...consciousness.

So I got that going for me,......which is nice.

Very neat, thanks for sharing.
Curious about all the missing info. on the '93 cobra?

That is because 80% was factory 5.0L LX/GT fare. Where it was different is usually indicated by a small dot next to the specific item. Then, in the description, it is indicated what is cobra and what is std. 5.0L for that specific item. If these are wrong shoot the engineers that filled them out back in the day.