I have the worlds slowest fox body

kinda sad but takes quite a bit of dough to get a foxbody in the 12's huh

Not really.
Remember an EFI foxbody is really a 25 year old car. Back then 13's were quick and foxes were only 15k new.

$2000 to spend and some savvy shopping and you will outrun most cars you would ever run into.
Doesn't sound to0 sad to me when most foxes purchased are well under 5 grand.

• Sponsors (?)

Not really.
Remember an EFI foxbody is really a 25 year old car. Back then 13's were quick and foxes were only 15k new.

$2000 to spend and some savvy shopping and you will outrun most cars you would ever run into.
Doesn't sound to0 sad to me when most foxes purchased are well under 5 grand.
Maybe a bit more than $2,000. That amount will get you a decent set of used heads, a nice cam, and a used intake manifold. Then you have to tune the ECU...not to mention injectors and MAF. And even then you're gonna need some good tires and maybe a set of gears. And if you got the car bone stock then you're gonna need an exhaust also. Factor in the cost of labor and you're looking at a good deal of money...

explorer top end can be had for under 500. add a cam and new valve springs and you can have a 12 second capable motor for under 700 not taking into account your 125 shot. while this is old hat and yesterdays combo imho its still a potent street/strip combo and requires no tuning.

I got a buddy tht just built a 347 and has the stock cam still. Imma just put stock cam in, get some gears, a tune and then spray.
No need to go cheap on the cam. Considering all the money you're gonna put into it, the cam will be the least expensive...and most critical considering the time, cost, and labor to swap it out again. You can get a really good (performance wise) cam for a tad over $200. Go used and they can be had for about $125-$150.

Maybe a bit more than $2,000. That amount will get you a decent set of used heads, a nice cam, and a used intake manifold. Then you have to tune the ECU...not to mention injectors and MAF. And even then you're gonna need some good tires and maybe a set of gears. And if you got the car bone stock then you're gonna need an exhaust also. Factor in the cost of labor and you're looking at a good deal of money...

Trust me, it can easily be done under 2 grand.
$700 heads.
$300 intake
$150 cam
$200 in bolts and gaskets
$150 TB and spacer
$200 mass air meter.
$150 for rockers.

That leaves you plenty for the misc to finish.

Tune? These cars do not need tunes.

I've been doing this a long time, you look in the right places you can find good used parts cheap.

As for labor, most people with a fox don't pay people to do their work, especially ones on a used parts budget.

Even without exhaust, the car should make at least 275rwhp with mediocre parts and run easy 12's.

Trust me, it can easily be done under 2 grand.
$700 heads.
$300 intake
$150 cam
$200 in bolts and gaskets
$150 TB and spacer
$200 mass air meter.
$150 for rockers.

That leaves you plenty for the misc to finish.

Tune? These cars do not need tunes.

I've been doing this a long time, you look in the right places you can find good used parts cheap.

As for labor, most people with a fox don't pay people to do their work, especially ones on a used parts budget.

Even without exhaust, the car should make at least 275rwhp with mediocre parts and run easy 12's.
While those are good prices for heads I don't think you're gonna find a good aftermarket head (not talking about E-streets or Flo-Teks) for that low of a price...at least not every day. That may be a once in a long while sale. And even with a good aftermarket head you'd be hard pressed to make 275 rwhp through the stock Foxbody exhaust. And even if you do its not like that's a normal occurrence. And that power still won't get you into the 12s on stock tires and the stock gears.. Granted most of us would prefer to do our own labor. Still you can't ignore the fact that some don't have the time or tools or space or even the know how to do such work. A head swap is not like an intake manifold swap. And a cam swap is even more involved. How many threads do you see on here where someone pulled their engine apart and put it back together and now it won't start or run right? You factor in all the probable costs and you're not going from bone stock to the 12's on a $2,000 budget.

I'm not trying to contradict you, but I am saying that a lot of times people don't factor in all the costs. They think they're gonna spend $2,000 and run 12's. On a car that is already modded a bit and has a driver with the proper circumstances to do his own work then yea I totally agree. But on a bone stock car with a beginner/novice level enthusiast, then $2,000 is merely a starting point.

With that said I'll agree that the OPs car is more than likely about $1500-$2000 away from 12s. But like 90lxwhite said it does take quite some cash to get a Fox into the 12s.

And a car with heavy mods does need a tune. Even if you're simply adjusting a FPR, turning a distributor, and keeping a proper AFR through a wideband gauge that is still considered tuning. Otherwise you're gonna run rich and bog down the quarter, or you'll run lean and blow a piston.

Reactions: 1 user
Disagree. With minimal outlay and putting money where it COUNTS, with a good driver, a stock motor Fox can run 12s. Been done a million times.

This is Sharad 's car:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0812_1989_ford_mustang_lx/index.html
Did you actually read that article Nik? He barely squeaked into the 12's and put out plenty of cash and did away with all kinds of amenities to do it. Not to mention he had to run the car within and inch of it's life to do it.

Nothing about that read sounded simple.

No a/c, power steering, or smog equipment. No swaybar, removal of various front end bracketry (safety concern). Stripped interior components, etc.

Just look at what he stripped out of the car!?!

m5lp_0812_19_z+1989_ford_mustang_lx+removed_components.jpg

He then added an electric fan, battery relocation kit, aftermarket CAI with MAF meter, O/R mid pipe and dumped exhaust system, gear swap with drag wheels and tires, upper and lower control arms, etc.

Right there is not only a list of parts I would not consdider removing from "my" car, but over $3,000 worth of parts and labour just to do the deed.

Running 12's is possible with a stock-ish Fox body, but I wouldn't consider it easy, or cheap.

Ummmm, I think it's easy and cheap. Anyone looked to see what a trick flow top end kit cost new?

Find the parts used and you're well under 2k. Seen several of my friends do this with STREET TRIM lx's and gt's. 12's all day.

/thread.

Ummmm, I think it's easy and cheap. Anyone looked to see what a trick flow top end kit cost new?

Find the parts used and you're well under 2k. Seen several of my friends do this with STREET TRIM lx's and gt's. 12's all day.

/thread.
If you think $2,500 for a top end kit, plus another $1,000 and 10-15 hours in labour to have it installed (assuming a person hasn't the know how, or the facilities to do it themselves) is cheap and easy, then more power to you.

Also...I've not yet seen one run 12's with just the top end kit alone. Top end kit with gears, exhaust, intake mods sure....but that adds thousands to the over all cost of taking a "bone stock Fox body" into the 12's.

Again...show me the "cheap and easy".

Nitrous is ones best and only bet on hitting the 12's for minimal cash and labour outlay....now you can "/thread"!

Did you actually read that article Nik? He barely squeaked into the 12's and put out plenty of cash and did away with all kinds of amenities to do it. Not to mention he had to run the car within and inch of it's life to do it.

Nothing about that read sounded simple.

No a/c, power steering, or smog equipment. No swaybar, removal of various front end bracketry (safety concern). Stripped interior components, etc.

Just look at what he stripped out of the car!?!

m5lp_0812_19_z+1989_ford_mustang_lx+removed_components.jpg

He then added an electric fan, battery relocation kit, aftermarket CAI with MAF meter, O/R mid pipe and dumped exhaust system, gear swap with drag wheels and tires, upper and lower control arms, etc.

Right there is not only a list of parts I would not consdider removing from "my" car, but over $3,000 worth of parts and labour just to do the deed.

Running 12's is possible with a stock-ish Fox body, but I wouldn't consider it easy, or cheap.

Brian, he never even cracked a valve cover. I'd say considering the outlay, to be running 12s, that's hard to beat. Also I don't think comfort and luxury were ever in question here.

I literally think i have the worlds slowest foxbody. I bought the car a few months back. The owner said it was stock longblock with a b303 cam. Its got longtubes, an full exh, a cai, 3.55s, electric fans, and a short throw. I just put a 125 shot on it and i took it to the track sunday and ran horrible. The first pass was on motor and ran a 14.8:shrug: . Im a pretty good driver so i know thts completely out the question . I got the timing set at 12 degrees when i put the nitrous on. On the bottle it ran a 13.9. I mean it should run tht on motor and was hoping for 12s on spray. Idk what to try to fix i mean the car runs good. Any suggestion?
Gearbanger 101 are you reading AT ALL?!

I said used, so scratch your 3500 estimate, and this OP shows he has full exhaust, Cai and gears already.....

Brian, he never even cracked a valve cover. I'd say considering the outlay, to be running 12s, that's hard to beat. Also I don't think comfort and luxury were ever in question here.
You guys are looking at extremes and saying that it can be done. Sure if I had a Fox as a project car with the sole purpose of running a 12 second 1/4 mile then I could strip it down to barely streetable and rip everything out of it and run a 12 second quart on a stock motor. But that also assumes I have a place to do all the stripping and to store all the parts along with the time and tools and know how to effectively accomplish this task and still make it track worthy. And EVEN then it will BARELY make it into the 12's, the motor will be shot to crap, and you're still gonna spend a decent amount of money. Unless you're a very experienced mechanic with a welder, mandrel bender, a lift, power tools, extra time to spare, a few friends to help, etc, etc.

For the kid who is the OP, this is not the case. And for most of the members on this board, this is not the case. Most people are using their car as their DD or maybe a weekend hotrod. Most don't wanna (or can't) give up heat, A/C, power steering, a sound system, door panels, head lights, etc. So in the average, everyday, enthusiast, DD car...then yes it will most definitely cost a bit of money to have a Fox in the 12s and be reliable and somewhat comfortable/streetable/track worthy at the same time.

Gearbanger 101 are you reading AT ALL?!

I said used, so scratch your 3500 estimate, and this OP shows he has full exhaust, Cai and gears already.....
What used heads are you gonna find for less than $900? Certainly not anything good. But let's entertain your previous estimate of $1850 total. Well this OP is probably not gonna be able to do a HCI swap. So figure in another $1,00 for labor...and that's a VERY low price. So now you're at $2800. Add a set of injectors for another $100 and your total becomes $2900. If he feels lucky enough to put the combo together and run it then he should play the lotto if he makes a 12 sec pass...because the engine is either gonna run soo rich that it'll foul the plugs out, or it'll be soo lean that it'll blow up at the end of the pass. But more than likely he's gonna need a FPR, a wideband AFR gauge, and a fuel pressure gauge. So add another $450 (conservative) to that cost and now you're at $3350. And thats if he's lucky enough to just so happen to find all these items at all these incredible prices all at the same time. For craps and giggles lets say he spends a bit of money on shipping and you'll easily make it to $3500...easily.

So your estimate leaves a bit of necessary items out...unless you're just building a quart bomb with the sole intention of making a do or die give em hell 12 sec pass.

What used heads are you gonna find for less than $900? Certainly not anything good. But let's entertain your previous estimate of $1850 total. Well this OP is probably not gonna be able to do a HCI swap. So figure in another $1,00 for labor...and that's a VERY low price. So now you're at $2800. Add a set of injectors for another $100 and your total becomes $2900. If he feels lucky enough to put the combo together and run it then he should play the lotto if he makes a 12 sec pass...because the engine is either gonna run soo rich that it'll foul the plugs out, or it'll be soo lean that it'll blow up at the end of the pass. But more than likely he's gonna need a FPR, a wideband AFR gauge, and a fuel pressure gauge. So add another $450 (conservative) to that cost and now you're at $3350. And thats if he's lucky enough to just so happen to find all these items at all these incredible prices all at the same time. For craps and giggles lets say he spends a bit of money on shipping and you'll easily make it to $3500...easily.

So your estimate leaves a bit of necessary items out...unless you're just building a quart bomb with the sole intention of making a do or die give em hell 12 sec pass.

Mine isn't theoretical or hypothetical. It's been done so many times I couldn't count that high. I have seen it done many times with my friends cars and watched them go down the track. If someone bought a tf top end kit brand new for 2500, what are you willing to pay for it used????

I don't even have a wideband or half the :poo: you guys claim is necessary. How many factory boosted cars do???

My car nor these other cars I've ridden
In, worked on and seem make 12 second passes are bombs or 1/4 mile specific. Read my posts again. They were street trim. As is mine. I have AC, power windows, locks, mirrors etc etc thus showing you I know what street trim is. And for that matter, my 88 GT I bought factory had no AC or power windows, thus also meaning street trim doesn't necessitate those.

Lastly, he's owned 4 stangs. If Hes owned Legos and 4 stangs he has the skills to put a top end kit on. It's not rocket science.