I hope I don’t get squished

Jester67

Sep 21, 2004
TN
I Just bought this gadget that is suppose to allow you to role a car on its side so you can work on it standing up. It is differs from a rotisserie in that you do not have to pull the engine or anything all you have to do is drain the gas tank remove the battery and make sure the transmission does not leak. Eastwood just started re-offer a similar gadget but I think this is a better design and the price was right. I will let you know how it works if I don’t get squished in the process.
tilter15c.jpg

tilter17c.jpg

tilter19c.jpg

tilter21c.jpg

Edit:
Photos supplied form venders website

• Sponsors (?)

I seem to recall an article in a magazine a few years back where they used one of these 'tilt' rotisseries to sandblast a car. The article wasn't about the rotisserie, obviously, but I wouldn't think that they would use one if they were unsafe.

Then again, I could be wrong.

I'd be more concerned with it rolling over toward the roof, then back on to its wheels. But also, wouldnt that put a ton of stress on the frame? It looks like its a "twist" to get it on its side.
If it works tho, I'm happy for you.

It goes over dead center by a couple of degrees and rests on the bars in the third photo and it has safeties that keep it form rolling back on its wheels. It is heavier made than the Eastwood one but the act of deliberately rolling a car on it side is unnatural to me.
Eastwood use to get theirs from Germany but they now make it in the USA for $150 more.http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?...DUCT&path=1,2,607,619,622&KickerID=142&KICKER

If it works tho, I'm happy for you.

I ask about this a couple of month back and no one had tried one. So I thought I would give it a go. It should making blasting and painting the underside easer as well as changing the brake lines and exhaust. I also intend to seam weld as much of the seams as I can before paint. I think it would have made finish welding the floor pans easer as well. We shall see.

Not me dude. That thing look like it's bending after the truck is tilted. I'm not getting under anything I see stressing while performing its job.

I have a different lifting jack than the one in the photo that has the tower bending. The one I have also has additional bracing in other areas on the carriages. And it is lifting a 4X4 bronco that think has to weigh twice what the Mustang weight.

Seems like an awful lot of stress on a already weak mustang frame. I can't imagine a shocktower supporting all that weight wouldn't crack. I say don't do it. This may be ... far from ideal... for a full frame car but our shock towers wern't suppose to be stressed that direction.
Kevin

Sicarious

thats deff food for thought on this one. What exactly would keep the upper control arm assembly (basically everything) from rotating out of the spring pocket under that kind of load? Aint no way those cheap stamped steel lower control arms wouldn`t buckle holding all the weight.

Seems like an awful lot of stress on a already weak mustang frame. I can't imagine a shocktower supporting all that weight wouldn't crack. I say don't do it. This may be ... far from ideal... for a full frame car but our shock towers wern't suppose to be stressed that direction.
Kevin

My thought are the other way I would think that if the car can take a pot hole or cornering forces at speed then it should be able to easily support its own weight on 2 tires. I do have a Monte Carlo bar export brace and Maier sub-frame connectors just in case

The monte carlo bar isnt that structural. It keeps the flexing of the shocktowers from bowing in at the top. It relies on the opposing shock tower for support. Not to "box" the engine compartment. The shock towers are meant to support the weight vertically with the spring doing much of the work. Horizontally the shock tower isn't suppose to support the weight rather than hold the upper control arm in place so it can pivot. The whole shock tower works together to support the engine compartment as the unibody would to support the whole car. This setup negates some of the vital supports that our cars in particular need for structural integrety. I think it is a bad idea and chances are you may buckle your poor shock tower thus crushing the subframe too... not to mention which way the damn thing will land if and when it does come down. Either way be safe.
Kevin

I think that something like this, if properly designed should be fine. My main gripe with it is that you would have to remove the fluids and battery from the car before working on it... at least thats what the Eastwood website says. Most of the cars that I work on don't merrit that kind of service. As for my "favorite car", as D.Hearn called it, I really don't get to work on it a lot and provably wont until I'm done with calc and wrestling season is over. Once I'm done with that I'll have a lot more time on my hands to play with my Pony.

The monte carlo bar isnt that structural. It keeps the flexing of the shocktowers from bowing in at the top. It relies on the opposing shock tower for support. Not to "box" the engine compartment. The shock towers are meant to support the weight vertically with the spring doing much of the work. Horizontally the shock tower isn't suppose to support the weight rather than hold the upper control arm in place so it can pivot. The whole shock tower works together to support the engine compartment as the unibody would to support the whole car. This setup negates some of the vital supports that our cars in particular need for structural integrety. I think it is a bad idea and chances are you may buckle your poor shock tower thus crushing the subframe too... not to mention which way the damn thing will land if and when it does come down. Either way be safe.
Kevin

Please don’t get me wrong I appreciate your concern for both me and the Stang. I to want to be safe and not kill myself, my car, or my house in the process. That is one of the reasons for posting this because I value the opinions of this boards members and want to make sure that I haven’t completely lost my mind. Because of some of the concerns I have decided to take a lot of measurements before using this so I will be able to report back conclusively as to any change that occurs.

Please don’t get me wrong I appreciate your concern for both me and the Stang. I to want to be safe and not kill myself, my car, or my house in the process. That is one of the reasons for posting this because I value the opinions of this boards members and want to make sure that I haven’t completely lost my mind. Because of some of the concerns I have decided to take a lot of measurements before using this so I will be able to report back conclusively as to any change that occurs.

Totaly understood. Please don't take it personal because I was not attacking you. I wish nothing but the best of luck, safety and results for anybody here because we are all hobbiest and always looking for better/easier ways to continue our hobby. You definately came to the right place for opinions. hehe.
Kevin