I just got a STOCK '06 Mustang GT what can I do about the car sound?

bbull3t

Jan 15, 2010
By sound I mean the vroom vrrom the car; The stock is pretty fine but I want it louder and stronger sound what is best? STRAIGHT PIPES NO CATS? EXHAUST SYSTEMS? Im new to this!

PS.....I have the 5 speed manual!:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

If you want obnoxious loud, use a straight through or muffler delete setup (SLP, Pypes mid mount, straight pipe).
If you want the deeper tone, stick to a chambered muffler (Flowmaster, MAC, Magnaflow).
All the systems will get louder upon removal of the cats! O/R X pipes tend to be raspier sounding and offer a bit more power than the O/R H. Headers will add more sound/power as well.
I have Stainless Works LTs, O/R X and MAC mufflers and like it as it is loud outside and not too bad inside with no drone.
In car vid at the track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7fYKW0xsac

Out of car vid at the track:
NVMC 4-4-09 :: Picture037.flv video by PRO50SC - Photobucket

I don't know about going without cats, that can get way too loud and drone when you're cruising. If there are any hang outs in your area where Mustangs hang out you may want to hear what they have before you make a choice, remember to stick to S197 Mustangs, mufflers for older cars will not sound the same on these due to their location.

Check out Boomtubes if you want loud with no rasp. Very refined sound with little drone. Also keep in mind, a lot of Mustang owners have changed thier axelbacks and are willing to sell them used on the forums here and even ebay. If you're new to the S197's, and expecting a power increase from the axelback/catback, you will not see/feel it like previous mustangs. The stock system flows very well. Many advise against the catback because the only advantage in flow is the small bend over the rear axel. The 3" systems are just too much unless you're pushing some major power. Good luck with your exhaust choice; you tube and an exhaust sticky (on this site) will give you a good idea for the system you want but hearing a system in person is the way to go if you can.