I killed it :-(

The capri is out of commission. Did an oil change saturday and after firing it up, it had a nice metallic "clack" to it. Goes away after 1500rpms and gets quieter once its warm, but its coming from the bottom end. After disconnecting one spark plug at a time, I found that the clack goes away when the #2 plug wire is disconnected, thus indicating a rod bearing failure. When the PCV air inlet line is plugged so the crankcase gets a vacuum in it, the sound also get much louder. What's strange is that it sounds like it's coming from the valve cover area, but it's also easily audible under the car. I think the sound is resonating up through the block. With 218K on the origonal bottom end, it was on borrowed time, so I kind of was anticipating this sometime soon. So, I called a local garage and am having them write up estimates for me (One for just bearings, the other for rehoning the block, new piston rings, and bearings). Guy said it shouldn't come out to more than $1500 either way. Wish me luck!!

• Sponsors (?)