I know sounds are hard to diagnose but I need help

Recently I started hearing a strange noise when I rev the car up with the clutch in. If I rev it, right when I let off the gas I can hear a whirring/rattling/loose sounding something or other sound for a brief moment and then it goes away as the revs start to drop back down. I can only hear it for the brief moment between letting off the gas and the revs dropping back down, like at the peak of whatever RPM I revved it to. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with ECU. There are some interesting moment forces occuring when you go from load to no load (approaching the apex of RPM's, hitting the apex and starting back down).

As you said, this is kinda tough from a keyboard.

Good luck.

Alright when it is idling I can kind of hear it, it is hard to tell becasue my car has a rough idle so it is constantly revving itself up a little, but it is loudest and most obvious when I rev it even a tiny bit. I replaced the throwout bearing when i replaced my engine...so about 7000 miles ago. So that would suck if it was that. The sound doesn't seem to be affected by what I do with the clutch...does that mean its not the throwout or no?

If the clutch pedal position/PP engagement has nothing to really do with it, I would be checking other things.

An exhaust leak, vac leak, etc can make some funny noises (not that this is what it is - but an idea of other things to check).
Good luck.

These mufflers have never been used with cats so its probably not that. Is it possible for anything in the shifter to make that noise? Now that I think about it, I've been having some recent problems with that. Can the stops come loose somehow or anything like that?

PrimerdFury said:
anyone??...shifter noise or no?
Does the noise occur while revving with the car in neutral? If so, that rules out the stops. There is a bushing in the base of the shifter and if it is missing, it will allow metal to metal rattling.

Good luck.