I know the main differences, but can someone explain.....

1987Rock

May 2, 2007
I know that everyone says the 4.6 sucks compared to the 5.0, and that the older the 4.6 is, the worse it is.
I know no one wants 96's compared to 98's, but what's so bad about the 96?
I also know that in 2001, Ford came out with the PI heads, but how much better are they?
Also, is there anything to be aware of when buying a 96-98 Stang?
I'm about to buy my first mustang and any help would be great. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The 4.6 in the '96 & '97 Mustang GTs (215hp/285lbs) had about 15 less hp than the '87-'92 5.0s (225hp/300lbs). The '98 4.6 is supposed to have 225hp, but i've driven a '98 GT and it didn't seem very noticeable at all.

Other than the 15hp increase, there are no other differences between the 1998 Mustang GT and the 1996-1997 Mustang GT, except i believe they got rid of the clock pod on the dash (which i like!) lol...

However, once you start modding, it doesn't really matter much anymore...

I prefer the 4.6L engine over the 5.0L because it runs a lot smoother. The two engines sound a tad bit different. The 4.6 is a more advanced overhead cam engine.

They're all good IMO... If you want more performance strap on a s/c or do a PI swap and you're done.

PI heads made by Windsor came out in 99, PI heads by Romeo came out in 2001. No difference in performance. There's nothing wrong with the 4.6, in my mind it's a superior engine for efficiency, tunability, and streetability. Just cuz the 96-98 came with less than great heads/cams n such doesn't mean the block/engine platform isn't great. No one buys a 5.0 to keep it stock anyways, so if you buy a 4.6 and have the same mentality you wont be disapointed

i dont think it sucks compared to a 5.0 and i hate when ppl say that.Also i've never heard anyone say they didnt want a 96 compared to a 98,if anything it was a 96-98 compared to a 99-04.The 4.6 in many ways is better than a 5.0 but in any case the 96&97 mustang was rated at 215-220hp and 98 225,not a significant diff. and the only reason for that is from a more aggresive tuning otherwise they are pretty much the same except the clockpod and 98 was the first year for the cupholders in the center console.really that hp difference is nothing and if your like any other mustang enthusiast your prob going to be changing tons of things on it anywa.also pi headed mustangs came out in 99,they were not on crown vics till 01.

I'll try and snap some for ya.i dont have any of it in the process but pretty much your gunna need a dremel and the cupholder piece from a 98,i actually think i have an extra one.looks just like it was made to fit there in mine.

I prefer a modular engine.

Who wants to have to buy a race block for 4k and then forged the internals just to make 500 hp reliably? It would cost 6k all together. I have 3100 in my Sb shipped.

Also you don't see to many stock heads and intake 5.0's breaking 500rwhp @ 12-13 psi.

I have a 98 GT and i just bout a 2003 GT. The 98 GT is not a bad car at all, if its a clean mustang your gonna buy, then it prolly looks sexy, the new stangs are quicker, but what can you do, technology has advanced between these two different types of cars. If you want a good starter car, the 98 is the way to go, I have the mods listed on my sig for my 98 GT and to me its fast enough, idunno what else you can do but just be happy is a nice car man, good luck with whatever u do.

Well, the only reason I ask is I live in Georgia and know some people that work for Dugan's and they said they prefer the 5.0's. I guess just cuz it's the traditional pushrod vs. SOHC. Whatever I decide to get, I'll be sure to get pics up ASAP.
By the way, are there any differences in the Romeo heads vs. the Windsors?

I have a 98 GT and i just bout a 2003 GT. The 98 GT is not a bad car at all, if its a clean mustang your gonna buy, then it prolly looks sexy, the new stangs are quicker, but what can you do, technology has advanced between these two different types of cars. If you want a good starter car, the 98 is the way to go, I have the mods listed on my sig for my 98 GT and to me its fast enough, idunno what else you can do but just be happy is a nice car man, good luck with whatever u do.

How about a 5.0 LX as a starter car:nice: The one with the trunk not the hatch:drool: :drool:

I think one of the main differences in the 5.0-4.6 is the after market. Ford nailed it with the 5.0 bringing back power in the 80s-90s. the foxes have a huge aftermarket with cheap bolt ons. when the 4.6 came there was high expectations that were left unfulfilled at first as many people were disappointed. that being said the aftermarket wasnt nearly as good for the 4.6 in 96-98. but people evolved and found ways to improve on the 4.6 I still dont think the aftermarket is great for 94-04 4.6s. especially when you think that the 05+ have nice aftermarket base to start out with.