I know this is a dumb question but...

twogts4us

15 Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
Dunedin, FL
Are brake pads sold in pairs or a full set of 4? I'm looking to buy new pads for the rear of my Mach 1...and it seems everywhere I've looked it says, "a set". Well what the hell is a set - one wheel's worth or both rear wheels?

Thanks!
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Full set of four. Especially good since if your not at the part store, you can't open the box before you check out!

I have Mach 1 Calipers and stock rears. I'm running BrakeMotive's Slotted rotors all around, and Hawk HP+ fronts and BM's Ceramic rears. For four rotors, rear set of pads and shipping, it was around $150. The rotors are coated and the pads are almost dustless and super quiet. The HP+ on the other hand, grab darn hard but dust like crazy.

They have an ebay store, or I have a number if you'd like to order by phone!

Your welcome man, I was worrysome about ordering Drilled and Slotted, and I had to order a special kit since they dont sell Mach fronts/GT rear's on Ebay.

If you really want just slotted PM me for their number!

When I purchased my Hawks from AmericanMuscle it said they were sold as a pair (I was doing just my rears). I realized this before they came in the mail and ordered another set on impulse because I didn't want to wait another 3-4 days after those came in if I really did need another box.

Long story short, it came with 4 so I ended up losing out on shipping and sending the other ones back.

These are what I have on my GT, $80 shipped.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ceramic-9404-cobra-rearpads.html

When I purchased my Hawks from AmericanMuscle it said they were sold as a pair (I was doing just my rears). I realized this before they came in the mail and ordered another set on impulse because I didn't want to wait another 3-4 days after those came in if I really did need another box.

Long story short, it came with 4 so I ended up losing out on shipping and sending the other ones back.

These are what I have on my GT, $80 shipped.
Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads (94-04 Cobra, 01 Bullitt, and 03-04 Mach 1 Rear Pair) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

How do you like the ceramic Hawk pads? I need to replace my front pads, and was looking at those. Some of the reviews on Tire Rack were discouraging, and saying they didn't bite very hard, and you really have to stand on the brakes. Now I'm considering Motorcraft pads because I want low noise and low noise.

How do you like the ceramic Hawk pads? I need to replace my front pads, and was looking at those. Some of the reviews on Tire Rack were discouraging, and saying they didn't bite very hard, and you really have to stand on the brakes. Now I'm considering Motorcraft pads because I want low noise and low noise.

To be honest, being the rear brakes, with cheapo rotors, stock calipers, and the Hawk pads I didn't notice too much of a difference. However they are quiet and I haven't noticed any dust. Car definitely stops when I need it to :)

Had some squeaking coming from the brakes but it existed even after I installed these and sounded the same so it's gotta be my fronts, which is what it sounds like listening out the window anyway.

I was just looking at BrakeMotive on EBay - thanks bro!

I ordered a full set of drilled/slotted rotors and pads from them on Ebay as per joshjwc9's recommendation. I am very happy with them. I've had them on for a couple of months now. They make no noise whatsoever; the stop very well (will lock all 4 of my tires on my 98 GT's stock brake system); they dust a little more than OEM, but it isn't a big deal because it isn't dark black like most pads, and it will wipe right off with a dry paper towel.

My only complaint is that the rotors are already starting to look bad. It's not rust, it's something else. It isn't a big deal, and you don't notice it unless you look right at it, but they aren't like they were when they were new.

All in all, for the price, you absolutely cannot beat them.

I ordered a full set of drilled/slotted rotors and pads from them on Ebay as per joshjwc9's recommendation. I am very happy with them. I've had them on for a couple of months now. They make no noise whatsoever; the stop very well (will lock all 4 of my tires on my 98 GT's stock brake system); they dust a little more than OEM, but it isn't a big deal because it isn't dark black like most pads, and it will wipe right off with a dry paper towel.

My only complaint is that the rotors are already starting to look bad. It's not rust, it's something else. It isn't a big deal, and you don't notice it unless you look right at it, but they aren't like they were when they were new.

All in all, for the price, you absolutely cannot beat them.
Zinc plating will rub off, nothing can be done about that, but does not affect the stopping.