I Like And Respect My 4.6l Mustang

Robert Arco

Jan 28, 2017
This is a post of love for the style and performance of my Mustang. Some people go crazy for the newer models, the bigger horsepower, but I have to say, I would not switch (and I could if I wanted to). Many tend to look down on the 4.6L 3v as the shortchanged older brother to todays 5.0 Coyote motors (and no disrespect to the 5.0 lovers), but my S197 has something I think they lack - Mustang style..I will explain

In October of 2009, I was looking for a new car at a Ford dealership. I didn't find what I wanted, but the salesman pushed me toward a leftover 2008 Mustang GT California Special Convertible. I was not interested in that as "my car" but of course loved the way it looked. He convinced me to test drive, I did and he said he could get me the best price ...I said well, you will have to take a lot off...they did ...I grabbed her and a new love was born I hadn't felt since muscle car years in the 70's.

Now I said I really love my S197 but why? The lines, the shape, the lights identify to me - Mustang. I am not impressed with newer styles where they have tried to follow the "sleek" lines of other cars to appeal to the masses. Its not a question of being resistant to change; I like sleek cars. But for the Mustang, the nose should be squared as should be the tail. This is part of what made the Mustang iconic.

So I am sure people who one Foxbodies, older models, newer models, etc. may feel the same way. Why else would you own one ? (though I really don't get Mustang II people...lol).

Call it underpowered and I will come back and say "Well, let me take you for a ride and you tell me if it feels like enough". I throw my top down, crank up the Shaker 1000 and roll through the gears and I am a happy man and isn't that what its all about ?

Thanks for listening...

• Sponsors (?)

I'm with ya. I bought a 2010 GT with the 4.6 and 5spd in June 2010, having already driven a 2011 with the 5.0/6spd combo. The 5spd alone was so much better and the 4.6 sounded so much better that I decided I'd make up the 97hp later with a blower.

If you don't get II people... Well.. You probably never will. That's okay. We don't want you to get it.