I miss my fox

Bolt on 5.0

Founding Member
Jun 26, 2002
Suffolk, NY
Guy I must be crazy, I sold the fox, put money down on the '07 Gt, drove it for a few months and got bored. I sold the new GT and now looking at the fox bodies again. They are just so damn nice, fun, cheap and no warranty to void by doing upgrades.

Anybody know a good shrink?

• Sponsors (?)

I seriously considered getting an 00 and up car with my new job. But those things are just too common. Plus they are heavier and the aftermarket is tiny compared to fox bodies.

Im the same way...I love foxes. My buddies think im nuts for still driving a "80' square box car with less saftey, rattles, sqeaks, etc.......The main reason why I like foxes over any newer stang is because foxes are straight Raw, Kinda hard to explained... new cars are more refined on the power and less raw....My fox is Raw in other words...Some Kind Of monster.:hail2:

I drove my buddies '07GT and it is definitley a nice cruiser. They finally got the seating position/dash layout right again. He previously owned a 95GT and an 04GT, both of which I absolutely hated sitting in (no offence to my SN95/NE bretheren :D). I wouldn't mind a new bolt-on 5speed GT for a daily but I would still have my '90 when I need something to thrash on.

I hear all of you! I miss my old 92 GT from when I had that way back in 2001. I miss my 91 GT from 2005. Now I have to make a decision of which notch goes. MY 91 5.0L 5spd, or my 81 which is a 87-93 lookalike with the 01 drivetrain.......

Damn that will suck.

Im the same way...I love foxes. My buddies think im nuts for still driving a "80' square box car with less saftey, rattles, sqeaks, etc.......The main reason why I like foxes over any newer stang is because foxes are straight Raw, Kinda hard to explained... new cars are more refined on the power and less raw....My fox is Raw in other words...Some Kind Of monster.:hail2:

Not hard to explain. I understand you fully.

When i bought my 93 Cobra I bought it over lets an 04 GT at the time. (I could finance either one). When people asked why i went for the older car i would simply say "They dont make em like they used to". To me that statement is dead true. I like the simple pushrod motor thats easy to work with. 5.0's are easy to fix and performance parts are cheap. Theyre not complicated, just straight to the point cars. Besides i think i got more tail with the 93 cobra then the 04GT, and plus id always love dropping the line "Yeh i drive a Mustang Cobra"

i prefer driving my 93 over my dads 00 GT. Sure the GT revs like crazy and is probably faster, but only if youre WOT in a low gear. if you punch it at 2000 rpm in third, the 5.0 will still dig down and pull pull pull. the 4.6 just makes more noise and eventually gets up to 3000, but by that point youre either mad at the stupid engine or happy because 3000-5000 is really strong in those cars. Regardless, so is the 5.0. Also, i have a steeda Tri Ax and SLP Loudmouths, whereas my dads car is stock. the shifter feels decent, but nowhere near as direct as the Tri Ax, and my oh my does the 5.0 make some sweet noises with loudmouths. Its just alot more engaging to drive. Its kind of weird, too, because my dads car would not only spank my 5.0 on a track (due firstly to the brakes, secondly to the higher revving engine) but its also a better daily driver. On paper, its a better car in every category, which is all people want out of new cars. Cars arent about driving anymore, fellas. The only thing people care about with new cars is gas mileage, track times, and price. Its all magazine racing. so when someone asks you why you chose a old POS 5.0 over a newer 4.6, you already know theyll never understand. Its the guys who come up and say "Hey thats a sweet car" that understand.

I hear all of you! I miss my old 92 GT from when I had that way back in 2001. I miss my 91 GT from 2005. Now I have to make a decision of which notch goes. MY 91 5.0L 5spd, or my 81 which is a 87-93 lookalike with the 01 drivetrain.......

Damn that will suck.

The only way to avoid these difficult decisions is to stop building such sweet new rides!

I love my Fox, but it's not going to last forever, and I know eventually it's going to have to be sold. I'm 19 now, so the car isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I know what you guys mean, the car is just simple and fun to drive, and it also holds a lot of sentimental value in my family. You just get in, start it up, and drive. Sure there's some squeaks and rattles, but I'm used to it, so it doesn't bother me. And there's the rare occasion my dad let's me drive his 2001 Cobra. Now there's another animal. And right now I'm dead set on getting a '98 Cobra, but hey, I might be looking into getting another Fox in a few years.

I can relate. I have no desire to own any mustang other than a fox. As sad as this is, when I bought my car these were my only requirements: I wanted something cheap that would be more fun to drive than my truck, something American, rear wheel drive of course, weigh less than 3500lbs, and a five speed, and easy and cheap to work on with parts available.
Since I don't care for F-bodys (even though I have always owned GMs) because they just aren't good drivers in my opinion--That really only left me with a Fox.
Smart move as far as I am concerned

I can relate. I have no desire to own any mustang other than a fox. As sad as this is, when I bought my car these were my only requirements: I wanted something cheap that would be more fun to drive than my truck, something American, rear wheel drive of course, weigh less than 3500lbs, and a five speed, and easy and cheap to work on with parts available.
Since I don't care for F-bodys (even though I have always owned GMs) because they just aren't good drivers in my opinion--That really only left me with a Fox.
Smart move as far as I am concerned

Same here, im a Chevy guy at heart, but Fox's are just bad ass. Too bad Ford's crate engines arent as cheap as chevy :(

Man i feel for ya. I have an 98GT And a 89GT. My foxes engine went last weekend. it wasnt a daily driver for me but, MY GOD do i miss it. Im saving every penny to get her rolling again. Bigger, Better , Badder this time around of course...

TRUE

+100 Well said.