I Need A Decent Head Unit

Maryland Stang

Aug 21, 2002
Greenville, NC
I'm looking for a decent stereo for my '92. Right now I have a hi-def radio in there and it sounds terrible. The factory cassette deck sounded 10 times better. I've replaced the speakers and added a small sub trying to get a decent sound and it's just not happening. I listen almost 100% to classic rock. The freakin radio in my '95 F150 sounds way better and it has the factory speakers in it.

I have a budget of $150 for this. The stereo only has to play the radio and the rare CD. It also has to sound good without equalizers and subs.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Well typically the speakers are to blame when the end result sounds bad. You really can't have a "healthy" head unit that just sounds bad,....it has to have something wrong with it if it sounds as bad as you say.

Asking for a brand choice on here will get you a dozen different opinions. And everyone of those opinions come from people that didn't know what they wanted until some salesperson helped them decide.
I'd say go to Crutchfield and solicit the opinion of the guy that sells that stuff.

I'm kind of jet mechanic on the alpine, but going to be hard to get a decent one in that price range. This is where you get into all the opinions now, because for a cheaper brand name I've always preferred JVC if i was paying for them, but the pioneer he suggested is a good one also.

To go to the stereo though, if it has a aftermarket head unit already, have the factory speakers ever been changed? If not, for the sound you're looking for i would start there instead of the radio. For your year of car, it should have 6 x 8s in the rear, 6.5s in the front door, and 3.5s in the dash, that's my .02 though

For you price range, since i haven't owned a jvc since the kamelions were out, I'd honestly go with a pioneer which you can pick a decent one up at walmart for around 100

I've had the following decks with the same speaker system: Pioneer, Alpine, Blaupunkt, Eclipse, Clarion, Sony, and Kenwood.

The alpine had hands down the best sound quality and by far the best build quality of all of them. If/when I buy a deck again, it will be an Alpine :nice:

Reactions: 1 user
To go to the stereo though, if it has a aftermarket head unit already, have the factory speakers ever been changed? If not, for the sound you're looking for i would start there instead of the radio. For your year of car, it should have 6 x 8s in the rear, 6.5s in the front door, and 3.5s in the dash, that's my .02 though

It has brand new Kenwood speakers in it now with a JVC powered sub. The head unit is a JVC hi-def.

Sony head units sucked in the 90's. Then they sucked in the 00's If I was a betting man, I say they probably still suck. They always sounded good, but they literally fell to pieces. Junk, junk, junk.

Reactions: 1 user
In my Bronco, I have 2 Power Acoustik 15's with a 1000 watt Memphis amp, also I also have 2 Rockford Fosgate Punch Series 12's powered by a 400 watt amp. 2 Power Acoustik 6x9's in the back and two Kenwood door speakers (swapped em out because the Power Acoustik speakers weren't as nice as the Kenwoods)
Now you're probably wondering why I'm saying all this, correct? I say this because I love a good sounding stereo system. I absolutely love my Pioneer head unit. Decent price, good quality, and easy to navigate through the menus. My car will be getting a Pioneer head unit when I get started on the interior
BASS CANNON.jpg
And the picture is so I can basically brag ;)

Oh and BTW, my Bronco doesn't have a 3G alternator. It can barely handle all of this.