I need help SVT TECH, airbag problem!

02GTRX

I told an admin to shut up...now I live with the S
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
is it normal for airbags to deploy under 5mph? i bumped my friend going under 5mph and both airbags deployed.

• Sponsors (?)

You know what I say ? Replace the covers and leave the air bags out. Air bags are a danger to everyone they deploy into. Spend the money on a good set of 4 or 5 points and never worry about those stupid things again.

You know what I say ? Replace the covers and leave the air bags out. Air bags are a danger to everyone they deploy into. Spend the money on a good set of 4 or 5 points and never worry about those stupid things again.

Where on earth did you get this misguided information? I'm surprised you even advocate using seat belts as everyone knows how dangerous they are...:rolleyes: :nonono: :rlaugh:

OK, but seriously folks - I need to bring this old thread up again - I did a search and this was the closest match.
My question - you're involved in an accident, at what minimum speed will the airbags deploy? In my accident in my 02 GT, the posted speed limit was 30 MPH and I believe I was under this speed, and the airbags did deploy, but I wonder what the airbags activation parameters are...

Any help?
Thanks!

Where on earth did you get this misguided information? I'm surprised you even advocate using seat belts as everyone knows how dangerous they are...:rolleyes: :nonono: :rlaugh:

OK, but seriously folks - I need to bring this old thread up again - I did a search and this was the closest match.
My question - you're involved in an accident, at what minimum speed will the airbags deploy? In my accident in my 02 GT, the posted speed limit was 30 MPH and I believe I was under this speed, and the airbags did deploy, but I wonder what the airbags activation parameters are...

Any help?
Thanks!

Different cars and different years its different, I'm pretty sure.. I know in my dads last audi it was something like 14mph (he was stopped) and the guy who hit him in the acura was like 25mph or something (he was speeding lol).

ok let me educate some of you on how airbags work. there are at least 2 switches in every airbag equipped car called "inertia switches." all these things are are a gold plated ball that sits in a tunnel setup. now when you get in a head on collision or even sometimes side collsions depending on how hard it is it causes the ball to move forward in the tunnel and make contact with a circuit. that allows voltage to pass through the switch and through the airbag system. there is usually a switch in the front of the car and another one in the passenger compartment somewhere. depending on the manufacture the balls may move easier or harder therefor causing certain cars airbags to deploy sooner than others. moral of the story dont bumb your friends ride at any speed lol! :rolleyes:
and to the doofus who said airbags are useless....wow dude. apperently you have never been in a serious accident involving airbags. yes, if you dont sit properly in your seat...aka gangsta style(laying down), or grandma style(way to close to wheel), they can have bad effects but they save lives every day! :nonono:

ok let me educate some of you on how airbags work. there are at least 2 switches in every airbag equipped car called "inertia switches." all these things are are a gold plated ball that sits in a tunnel setup. now when you get in a head on collision or even sometimes side collsions depending on how hard it is it causes the ball to move forward in the tunnel and make contact with a circuit. that allows voltage to pass through the switch and through the airbag system. there is usually a switch in the front of the car and another one in the passenger compartment somewhere. depending on the manufacture the balls may move easier or harder therefor causing certain cars airbags to deploy sooner than others. moral of the story dont bumb your friends ride at any speed lol! :rolleyes:

GREAT POST - Thanks! So are you saying there is no set speed? Surely there must be an intended speed, right? I dunno. I just want to put to rest any possibility of an argument that I might have been speeding from the guy that pull out in front of me.:nonono:

and to the doofus who said airbags are useless....wow dude. apperently you have never been in a serious accident involving airbags. yes, if you dont sit properly in your seat...aka gangsta style(laying down), or grandma style(way to close to wheel), they can have bad effects but they save lives every day! :nonono:

Couldn't agree more. :hail2:

Well actually the gold ball and tunnel system was the 1st generation system.
On first generation systems there is no control module. The system uses a diagnostic monitor which has the following functions and characteristics:

Monitors the air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) for faults. It does this by checking the resistance and voltage to/of crash sensors and air bag module circuitry.
Illuminates the air bag indicator if a fault is detected.
Flashes the air bag indicator to indicate the lamp fault code (LFC) detected.
Diagnostics may be performed by initiating self test with a diagnostic tool through the self test connector.
Contains an internal safing sensor which is not serviced separately.
Backup power supply provides sufficient backup power to deploy the air bags in the event the battery circuit is damaged in a collision before the safing and air bag sensors determine that a deployment is required. The backup power supply will deplete its stored energy approximately one minute after battery power is disconnected. Electromechanical primary Crash Sensors react in a collision to provide a ground for the air bag deployment circuit.
Depending on the system, there may be between one and three primary crash sensors at the front of the vehicle.
Each sensor has a rear-mounted magnet that holds a gold-plated steel ball in place.
When there is a strong enough collision, the ball breaks away from the magnet and travels down a guide tube toward a pair of electric contacts.
If the frontal impact is severe enough - greater than 14 mph (or 22 km/h into a rigid barrier) - the ball bridges the contacts to close the switch. Which then deploys the air bags.
This system was primarly used in the 90's.

The newer systems or 2nd/3rd generation which is type system on an 02 model uses a RCM(restraint control module) Which determines vehicle's deceleration rate. It will also usually have a front crash sensor which determines crash severity(by g-force) to determine when and how fast to deploy air bags. There is no set speed for deployment on this system,it is done by a pre-determined parameters programed in the RCM for deceleration and severity of impact.

To repair yours you will need to replace the deployed bags, RCM, clockspring, impact sensor,and seat belt pre-tensioners if equipped.

Wow - great info, thanks Chuck!
Mine wouldn't be repaired, it was declared a total loss. The power steering reservoir was pushed into the valve cover, breaking it open and likely damaging the cam gear - it was a freakin mess, and knowing that, I'm glad they decided it total it out - It would never be the same.