I need serious input guys...

AmBo

Feb 3, 2004
New Jersey
Okay, here is my dilemna. I am going to drop some money into the stang this summer. I was thinking anywhere from 2 to 4k. Now, here are my dilemna. Keep in mind, I'm not looking for the fastest car on the street, but a spirited car that is a blast to drive.

Forgive me if I get winded. Here are my options.

Option 1: Full Bolt-ons in prep for a KB NEXT year
  • Magnaflow Cat-back $350
  • Magnaflow Catted X $400
  • Demolet CAI $170
  • Accufab 75mm TB/Plenum $420
  • SCT2 Tuner $400
  • 3.73s $350
    [*]Total: $2,090

Option 2: Vortech + Gears
  • Vortech SQ Tuner Kit $2,300
  • LMAF 90mm $90
  • 42# Injectors $250
  • Focus Fuel Pump $100
  • SCT2 Tuner $400
  • 3.73s $350
    [*]Total: $3,300

Option 3: KB 6# + Gears
  • Kenne Bell 6# base kit $3,800
  • 3.73 gears $350
  • SCT2 Tuner $400
    [*]Total :$4,550

Give your input on what YOU would do if you were to drop the amoutn of cash I'm planning. Now PLEASE don't just say "OMGz! KB! KB!" Because keep in mind it's near $1,200 more than the SQ and will yield similar results. Also, keep in mind the car is a DD! That means (yes, I'm in NJ) it WILL see snow! :nono:

Thanks for all your help guys!
:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

if that cars gonna see snow, i would reccomend a centrifugal, and above the vortech, iwould reccomend the Paxton kit from mph. it comes with the following
Novi 2000--crazy power/psi capabilities
Xcal2 with the great MPH tune
Focus fuel pump
42# injectors
90mm MAF
Spark Plugs
IAT sensor

That all for 4250

I run my paxton kit with my stock gears, and its pretty stinkin quick, so if you dont do those right off the bat then dont worry about it. My dyno #s on 6psi with mods in sig were 345hp and 350 lbft

I am pretty sure the KB kit comes with a handheld tuner...

Also before you go modding your car best to get it in absolute top running condition. How many miles are on it and how are you set on preventitive maintenance?

As much as i'd like to say KB or AED since you have a heavy vert I do think a Vortech S-Trim would be the best all around choice for a DD here in Jersey. If I drove my car in the rain/snow I would have went that route myself but i only drive it when its nice so I wanted the low end boost from a Positive Displacement blower.

2002tj said:

^^ And this helps me how? Thanks? :shrug:

Anyways, so to reiterate, as much as I'd love the KB, I just don't think it's a practical blower for a DD that will see snow.

Also, I'm told that once you boost, your car becomes a timebomb and will just start falling apart on you little bits at a time. Is this the truth? :shrug:

Kilgore, the car has 31,000 miles on it. I'm pretty up to date on preventive maintanence. I'll be doing a full tuneup early June (new belts, fuel filter, clean air filter, oil change, etc). oil gets changed every 3,000 miles and I stay up to date with what Ford recommends at my mileage. Except the diff fluid swap. :notnice:

So, it looks like the consensus here is the novi2000 MPH Mongoose kit? How difficult are these things to install by myself? I haven't done much research on this blower at all. Can I run it safely on a stock motor? How much psi will it run at? I'm scared...:rlaugh:

Yeah, it sounds like your car is suitable for f/i with the low miles and the level of maint.

I am going to have to agree with SaleenGT2001 mainly since I have seen many including the great Gearbanger make the same recommendation in these circumstances...

You and I both know that deep down inside you long for teh KB though :hail2:

Kilgore Trout said:
You and I both know that deep down inside you long for teh KB though :hail2:

You have no idea...:hail2:

Maybe one day when it's my weekender I can take off the Novi and put the beast on. :nice:

So to reiterate again, I shouldn't worry about the minor bolt-ons? Do the blower first, then add bolt-ons as I see necessary? Won't the novi want a 75mm tb/plenum? Headers? Mid-pipe? Catback? :shrug:

See my dilemna? Yes, I could slap a blower on, but I won't yield good results and then if I go adding bolt-ons after the blower, I'll be running to get it tuned every weekend! :nono:

You don't need to spend the extra money on the Novi2000. The S-trim is plenty capable of making 500rwhp. The novi2k is a blower capable of making alot more boost and i don't think you have those goals with this car. And quality isn't an issue either since they are the same company. Go with the cheaper one.

droptopponynj said:
You don't need to spend the extra money on the Novi2000. The S-trim is plenty capable of making 500rwhp. The novi2k is a blower capable of making alot more boost and i don't think you have those goals with this car. And quality isn't an issue either since they are the same company. Go with the cheaper one.

You the man Bob! You know me too well. Like I said, I'll never look to hit over 400rwhp. Noooo thanks! 330-350 is more than enough. SQ Trim it is!

Bob, think I need the basic bolt-ons as well to hit 350rwhp?? Accufab TB/Plenum, mid-pipe, catback? :shrug:

AmBo said:
You the man Bob! You know me too well. Like I said, I'll never look to hit over 400rwhp. Noooo thanks! 330-350 is more than enough. SQ Trim it is!

Bob, think I need the basic bolt-ons as well to hit 350rwhp?? Accufab TB/Plenum, mid-pipe, catback? :shrug:

exactly what i was gonna tell u--plus i've heard some mention on the MPH forums that the paxton seems to have more belt issues...

Yea, I've heard that Novi's tend to throw belts quite often. So I'm going to budget myself at $4,000 for the blower. That's not including the gears.

I figure $3,300 for the basic hardware, then I have to get new plugs, guage pillar, guages, dyno tune, etc.

AmBo said:
Yea, I've heard that Novi's tend to throw belts quite often. So I'm going to budget myself at $4,000 for the blower. That's not including the gears.

I figure $3,300 for the basic hardware, then I have to get new plugs, guage pillar, guages, dyno tune, etc.
I'm just quoting the last thing you said but anyway, don't get gears with a blower if your going to drive in the snow, you won't be able to go anywhere

droptopponynj said:

tomustang said:
I'm just quoting the last thing you said but anyway, don't get gears with a blower if your going to drive in the snow, you won't be able to go anywhere

Not even 3.73s? Centri's don't even begin to make boost until 3,000. As long as I drive like Kilgore I should be fine. No? :shrug:

AmBo said:
Not even 3.73s? Centri's don't even begin to make boost until 3,000. As long as I drive like Kilgore I should be fine. No? :shrug:
i had 3.73's in my GT, whenever i went to jersey (hunterdon co) for work i always got stuck at a damn light just spinning, that was with 16's :D

AmBo said:

A high flow mid pipe should be on your list, it is a cork in the system. You will be @ 330rwhp as you are now with a Blower-8psi. Add the mid-pipe/plenum/tb and you will easily hit 350-360rwhp...

You should be ok with 3.73's as long as you take it easy and don't get into boost when its wet/snowing.

but kilgore has an auto...pooo. ive never thrown a belt on my novi, and with my mods put down almost 350, so if thats what you want you should be good, and if you dont wanna go forged internals anytime soon, you dont need a novi 2k, get the vortech.