I need some practice

I went to the track for the first time yesterday to infineon in Sonoma. It was a really hot day and I had driven up from Monterey which is about 3 hours away so I hope that the heat and not letting my car cool off made a difference on my times. I was only able to get 2 runs and my second one was my best.

The track was alot stickier than i had expected I hooked alot better than i thought I would and bogged both of my launches

temp 110
relative humidity 54
absolute barometer 29.98
R/T .635
60' 2.255
330' 6.077
660' 9.165
mph 79.66
1/4 14.048
mph 100.74

I had been hoping for 13s and was soo close to that. I think with a couple more runs I would have improved my times alot more.

So whats next ? I still have stock 245s. I am planning on getting some 285s in the back, 3.73 gears and lower control arms. Will these help me out alot at the track and what would be expected from these?

• Sponsors (?)

Anyone have any advice for getting better 60' times?
I launched around 2500 and slipped the clutch a bit but I let it out fast enough that it spun a bit then just bogged. Whats an ideal launch rpm for stock gears and tires and would having wide tires without gears make me bog off the line?

I would say that is a pretty good run for your first time out! When I ran my best 1/4 mile, I left the line at 2000rpm and eased off of the clutch. I pulled a 2.019 60ft. that way. I did have 4.10's to tho. I never ran my car at the track with the stock gears.

All three of the additional mods you listed should help you at the track. The tire compound will make more of a difference than the size. The control arms would also be a good move. I just purchased a set and I'm putting them on this weekend.

I would say that was a pretty good time assuming you are stock (make a sig, pi-non pi, auto 5sp, stock or modded)

I launch between idle and 2500 depending on track prep. I cut a 1.90 60' on 245/45 street tires, but thats with 3.73 and mods in sig.

I would say that was a pretty good time assuming you are stock (make a sig, pi-non pi, auto 5sp, stock or modded)

I launch between idle and 2500 depending on track prep. I cut a 1.90 60' on 245/45 street tires, but thats with 3.73 and mods in sig.

The thing is Im not stock. I have a few bolt-ons and had been expecting some better times. Im hoping that next time getting there early and giving my car a chance to cool off and getting some better launches will help some. I noticed some other cars were getting some bad times too though another 2002 5spd gt with a JLT intake and some catback got a 14.839 at 93.63mph (went against me), a C5 corvette was running high 13s and a few ls1 camaros were in the 14s as well and a stock 5sp s197 was in the mid 14s

Just work on that 60'....thats where the ET is at. Weather, humididy, elevation all play a part of ET also. I've had a bunck of 14's slips and 9's (1/8), you just gotta find a way to get outta the hole good, DR's would prob work for ya:nice:

ya its actually not too bad of i time. wish i could have gone with you guys.

get those mods and work on perfecting that 60 foot time! im sure you could get it down to high 13's. the heat and the long drive up there probably didnt help too much.

ya Infenion gets wicked hot out there, wait till mid October, till then install your parts and pratice lauching on empty roads.. trust me it will help !

Yea that sounds good but I wanna keep goin everychance I get It was alot of fun up there. I got a few nice empty roads I mess around on but it was nothing like the track I launched how I was used to on the street but I never expected the track to be so sticky an make me bog like I did

110 degrees? 245's? first time out? dont worry about it man, Infineon can be hard on the car sometimes - im out there all the time and see disappointed people. Still a good track tho

Thanks. Yea that track is really nice .

Next time I go I want to get a lot of my friends to go and have a group of us from stangnet go and meet up there and hangout