I need some quick feedback because I want to take my car to the track tonight

tistan2

Feb 29, 2004
I have just pulled my valve covers off of my car. My rockers have been clacking and making noise. Can someone tell me if I am right or wrong in my thinking. If I tighten the nut on my stud mount rocker arms to the point that the pushrod will not spinn and then I give it my half turn while the cam is not on a lobe then when I pull my valve cover off and feel my rocker arms there should not be play in them. I would think that If they have been set to zero lash then tightend then there would be pressure on the push rod from the spring in the lifter and that would keep the rocker arms from having alot of play. Can someone tell me if I am right?

• Sponsors (?)

I loosened the allen set screw on the rocker stud. The adjuster nut on top of the rocker was not even hand tight. What would cause that? I have adjusted everything just like they specified, but I must be doing something wrong can somebody please tell me what.

no u dont tighten then until they cannot turn, by that point, you have already bottomed out your lifters. Loosen the nut,now spin them in your fingers as your tightening them down, once you feel pressure being applied to the pushrod, STOP! At that point, you dont want to go any tighter. Thats where they need to be. Make sure the nut is snug and move on.

if your using roller rockers, loosen the allen bolt a good way,that is used LAST to secure the other nut. The main adjuster nut, 9/16 i think, is the one you should be tightening while spinning the pushrod. Once you feel the pressure being appiled to the pushrod, meaning it just started getting harder to spin, STOP. give them 9/16 nut 1/4 more turn. then lock the allen head nut down.

sirshureshot that is exactly how I adjusted them. I just don't understand one thing. I tighten to zero lash and give a quarter turn then I completely rotate the engine one full turn and stop back on the same point that I just tightened, but I did not tighten the allen set screw. When I checked the main adjuster nut it was loose. I had to give the nut a full turn with my fingers before it got tight again.

Zero Lash is when a valve is closed all the way. You can spin the motor over by hand until both valves are completly closed for one cylinder. (That way you can adjust 2 rockers at a time). Loosen the allen bolt all the way like sirsureshot39 said. Then tighten the 9/16 nut down with your "Fingers" all the way (with a rag so your fingers don't slip because of oil) until you can't turn it with your fingers any more. Then Take your 9/16" wrench and give them an extra 1/4 to 1/2 turn. (Make sure you do all the rockers them same way). This will give some preload on the lifter. Then tighten down the Allen Lock Screw to lock the nut. You wil notice that when you turn the motor over by hand again that the rockers will still have a little play in them. This is normal because when the lifter pumps up with oil it will tighten them up.

I have adjusted them twice now just like everyone has said and I am still getting a clacking sound. I have rechecked my clearances and the geometry of the rockers look good I am just kinda at a loss right now

how freakin hard can this be? I downloaded compcams instructions for the install and i followed them to a t. I put my car back together and fired it up. I really should say tried to fire it up. It finally fired and sounded like a f**king harley davidson. I dont know what the f**k is wrong now. I think I am quitting for they day and drinking myself to sleep.

a friend of mine came over and adjusted the valves and they still have clatter just the same. He said that with the roller rocker you will have some clatter. Does this sound right to anyone?