I need to pass emissions (car has x pipe)

1eo

Jun 8, 2007
I bough a 2001 Mustang GT conv. a couple of years ago that had some type of offroad x pipe, no cats, and I think a flowmater catback.
Anyway, I moved from Miami to Delaware and now I need to pass emissions. What would be the cheapest way to get some cats under my car... Aftermarket? factory?

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I'd look around on craigslist, see if someone is selling their stock H pipe.

Buy it for a few bucks, and keep it for passing emissions if you can. Not sure if you have O2 sensors to deal with as well.....

You can try some universal cats from, say Magnaflow. A local muffler shop should be able to configure them to be clamp on (instead of welded...)

You can try to find an OE 99-04 H-pipe at a wreckers or in the classified and put it on the car for the emissions test.

As for cheapest, I'd ask around about these two options first. Cats aren't cheap: A Magnaflow 94205 2.25" in/out cat lists at ~$191 at PlanetMagnaflow (though they're on sale at the moment for $75...) Wreckers yards know the value of OE H-pipe and will likely want a premium. Maybe you can find a midpipe in the classifieds or on eBay...

I bough a 2001 Mustang GT conv. a couple of years ago that had some type of offroad x pipe, no cats, and I think a flowmater catback.
Anyway, I moved from Miami to Delaware and now I need to pass emissions. What would be the cheapest way to get some cats under my car... Aftermarket? factory?

thanks!

i sent you a PM

spacers work. they screw into your pipe and basically pull out your O2 sensors to trip the code. CEL will go off, emissions fooled = pass. works for me.

This won't work in jurisdictions like Delaware that put a sniffer in the tailpipe and actually check the vehicle emissions. Delaware's testing looks pretty comprehensive. For this type of regimen you need the emissions systems actually working, not just masked by spacers, MILs or tunes that "turn off" rear O2s.

thanks guys... this are the solutions that I have found so far:
Have an exhaust shop put some cats to my x pipe
I saw this one in summit racing:
MagnaFlow 59956 - MagnaFlow Universal Spun Catalytic Converters - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Look fairly small, which is good as I know my ground clearance is a concern. However, I'm not sure how efficient they are.
I used to have a lt-1 camaro with an lt-4 hotcam and two highflow cats (don't remember the brand) and it was a bitch to pass emissions, I had to rev the piss out of the engine before entering and put a whole bunch of heatgas bottles on my gas tank :p

#2 get an aftermarket one:
cheapest that I have seen is like $500
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0408499267&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

#3 find a used one... I looked on ebay, but no luck yet

--------
BTW, I just noticed I only have one post (since 2007) I guess I never posted pics or videos of my car

enjoy... :D
YouTube - Mustang GT (First Ride of Spring)

I'd look around on craigslist, see if someone is selling their stock H pipe. Buy it for a few bucks, and keep it for passing emissions if you can....

You can try to find an OE 99-04 H-pipe at a wreckers or in the classified and put it on the car for the emissions test....

That's what I do. I found a place that passed me :) and didn't need it until one day some new guy decides to go by the book. :( I'm glad I kept my stock midpipe. I've since found a new place that will pass me.

:flag:

Come on, it's a convertible. You are driving it on the street. It's not a race car. Get an old stock midpipe and keep it on, or spend some coin on high flow cats. Jegs has a pair of magnaflow cats for less than $200. An exhaust shop should be able to pop them in and put bungs after the cats for the o2 sensors for not too much money. Some states will give you a whopping fine if you drive without cats. See the orange car in my avatar? It's got cats. Cats are cool.

If its 96 or newer they will just plug it into your OBDII interface and if no codes are seen they kick you out the door. I just passed last weekend with my Pypes O/R with no problem, using only MIL eliminators. The inspection guy gave me a second look when I started the car to leave and it roared to life with that loud exhaust but passing is passing. I am not aware of any state that uses a sniffer on 96 and newer OBDII cars. Checkout Americanmuscle.com and pickup a set, $80 + 15 minutes to install and your good to go.

Thanks guys
Come on, it's a convertible. You are driving it on the street. It's not a race car. Get an old stock midpipe and keep it on, or spend some coin on high flow cats.
I gree, the car is too loud and resonates at highway speeds... I honestly wouldn't mind a more quite inside cabin. But I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to
On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) - There are two steps in the OBD II inspection. With the key on and the engine off, the inspector confirms that the MIL is functional. The inspector connects the inspection tool to the OBD II system to check the status of the system. The following is a typical OBD II connector. This test takes approximately 2 minutes to complete. The OBDII test method will replace the Division’s tailpipe test (and pressure test) for 1996 and new gasoline powered vehicles and 1997 and new diesel powered vehicles with MGVWR less than 8,500 pounds registered in New Castle County and Kent County.
Back when I used to pass emissions in Delaware (I had a cammed '93 Z/28), They used to check with mirrors under my car :shrug:
I hope they don't do it in 96 and newer :D
I don't get any codes, so I imagine whoever installed the x pipe got it tunned

If its 96 or newer they will just plug it into your OBDII interface and if no codes are seen they kick you out the door. I just passed last weekend with my Pypes O/R with no problem, using only MIL eliminators. The inspection guy gave me a second look when I started the car to leave and it roared to life with that loud exhaust but passing is passing. I am not aware of any state that uses a sniffer on 96 and newer OBDII cars. Checkout Americanmuscle.com and pickup a set, $80 + 15 minutes to install and your good to go.

I think, I'm going to take it first and if I fail, I would buy a factory H pipe that I saw on craighlist

Thanks guys!

BTW how many post do I need before I can post pics and videos of my car