I need tranny help ASAP!!!!!

Brando5641

Jul 21, 2009
FT Gibson OK.
i have a WC t5 that i just rebuilt and on the bench it will no go into 2nd 4th or reverse.... It is acting like the forks are not hardly moving backwards but it shifts into 1st 3rd and 5th great....:nonono:. can some one help me plz i was wanting to get it put in today.

I had to change the 1-2 shift fork. Is it possible that i put it back together rong?

Brand new 1st gear, 1-2 rev. slider,2nd gear and 1-2 shift fork with a rebuild kit.

• Sponsors (?)

no one has had this problem???

It feels like you cant pull the shifter back far enuf. If you spin the shaft you can feel the syncros working but no gear. I also cant get it to spin in rev. at all not even off the syncros.

Can you install the top plate rong? Tranny is in neutral when top is put on. I have pulled it all the way apart and done it over and still the same problem.

I have pulled the top off prob. 5 times and same prob. every time. It has to be in the shift forks b/c everything inside works fine. Sliders move free... I just dont know.:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Pull the top of the trans back off and inspect..........you should be able to shift it by hand if assembled right.......if you can then put the top back on and shif with the shifter, then all is good. If not you have messed up somewhere..........where, I do not know, no pic's:shrug:

Im pretty certain your problem lies in how you reassembled the shift fork rod assembly on the top cover. I think you need to dissassemble back down to where you can remove the top cover again and check a few things (probably not what you want to hear but youve had enough practice at it now!). If i had to guess Id say theres a chance the roll pin in the shift fork rod isnt in far enough or is in too far and thats catching and not allowing you to grab gears. You have to make sure the flat spot on the shift shaft rod is facing you inside the top cover. Id double check the orientation of the horseshoe and the 1/2 and 3/4 inserts on the horseshoe. With the cover off and on the bench, move the shift shaft with your hand, rotate it etc as if you were going through the gears and see if you bind up as it tries to go into the gears youd be shooting for if you were driving down the street. Make sure the shift forks are oriented properly on the shaft. The downward angled sides should both be facing the rear of the tranny. If you want to take pics and or video of the shift fork cover assembly and post them Ill look at it and see if its right. If you can move the sliders into the gears by hand you should have no problem when using the shifter handle. And be one hundred percent sure the forks are resting in the valleys of the sliders when assembled.

For anyone following the post, it WAS the roll pin. So keep that in mind if you ever tear apart your tranny yourself. The shift shaft roll pin MUST be driven below the surface of the shaft but not far enough to protrude out the bottom. Glad it worked out for you. If anyone else ever needs advice on tranny rebuilds, etc feel free to ask. Brandos probably a pro by now too! :nice:

I could pull one apart and put it back together with my eyes closed in the middle of a hurrican.

I would recommend to anyone to rebuild there t5 there self. It is a very good learning experience. It is a lot ezer than it looks at first glance. I have never tried to rebuild one myself and i just bought Hanlon M.S video and i would recommend it for rebuilding yours.

Lots of people say let tranny people rebuild tranny's but anyone can do it.

:flag::flag::flag:

You can also PM Zero or Me if you need any help.

And yes i am now a Pro:D