I Need Your Advice Can You Please Help

Kdoggy

Jan 9, 2015
Torrance, CA
Hi everybody my names Kyle and I am think about purchasing a 2004 mustang gt from craigslist. From the pictures in the listing this car looks like it was well taken care of, my only issue is the car has 147,000 miles on it and I have no knowledge of how long mustangs are known to run until problems start to occur and things start breaking down, I have posted the craigslist link at the bottom so you guys can check out the car for yourself's and tell me what you think, any feedback and advice I can get will be greatly appreciated thank you very much.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4838142463.html

• Sponsors (?)

Looking at the ad, it seem like a decent deal. I would ask some questions......what does "full suspension" mean? I see MM Caster/Camber plates, but what else has been done? Shocks? Springs? Panhard? Have gears been done? Does it have a chip/handheld tune?

Otherwise, the engine bay looks pretty unremarkable. Shocking to see a throttle body, but not CAI. The interior is pretty good, check the loading/ejecting of the 6 disk changer. There are lots of little billet pieces just to dress things up.

I would say it is worth it, especially if you take a little less Cash in Hand. Seeing $4000 in $50s or $100s will usually get people's attention (but always have enough hiding if you really want the car). I am doing that next week for a car. I have $1000 in $20s, $2000 in $50s, and $2500 in $100s....I will of course be offering below his asking price, and see where the vision of cash gets me. I do that buying guns all the time, cash is KING!

Reactions: 1 user
If the vehicle is well maintained the mileage alone shouldn't be a problem at all. The only thing I'd be concerned with at that mileage is the timing chains/guides, that can be a fairly big job. The vehicle appears to be in good shape exterior wise & the price is right.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking at the ad, it seem like a decent deal. I would ask some questions......what does "full suspension" mean? I see MM Caster/Camber plates, but what else has been done? Shocks? Springs? Panhard? Have gears been done? Does it have a chip/handheld tune?

Otherwise, the engine bay looks pretty unremarkable. Shocking to see a throttle body, but not CAI. The interior is pretty good, check the loading/ejecting of the 6 disk changer. There are lots of little billet pieces just to dress things up.

I would say it is worth it, especially if you take a little less Cash in Hand. Seeing $4000 in $50s or $100s will usually get people's attention (but always have enough hiding if you really want the car). I am doing that next week for a car. I have $1000 in $20s, $2000 in $50s, and $2500 in $100s....I will of course be offering below his asking price, and see where the vision of cash gets me. I do that buying guns all the time, cash is KING!
Thank you so much that was very detailed I love the idea of bringing like $4000 in hundreds or fifties that is really smart I'm so doing that, thanks again for the help.

Unfortunately the guy sold the car before I could check it out but I am looking at a 2003 mach 1 with 83000 miles on it for $7900, the car looks great inside and out but my only concern is he says the transmission is starting to slip a little bit in overdrive can anyone tell me if this is a huge sign for concern because I really like this car and I am thinking about buying. I will post the link below so you guys can check it out.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4827819381.html

For me personally the first thing that comes to mind is the Transmission slipping & on its way out with only 83k miles on the vehicle. This would lead me to believe the car has probably been driven pretty hard or even abused. Right out of the gates you know you're in it for at least a Transmission rebuild & who knows what else. I would probably stay away from this deal. Not to mention, these cars are A LOT more fun with a 5 speed. Those Automatics come with 3 forward gears & an OD gear & with the Mach 1's 7k redline it's going to feel like you're riding gears forever.

Kinda sorta......

The auto Mach 1's have the cast 6-bolt crank instead of the 5-speed 8-bolt forged crank. This reduces the RPM redline on the auto version to like 6k. It is 6800 in the 5-speed version.

If it were me, in a Mach 1......go MANUAL! The auto is giving up power!