I really need some help from u guys n gals. sn95 to fox computer swap

Kid Capri

Founding Member
Dec 28, 1999
I want to install the a9l proccessor in my 95 cobra. Can anyone help with some info, did a few searches under pih with no luck. I need to know what pins need to be moved, or spliced and any other info. thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

there are quite a few that will need to be switched/spliced/deleted. hopefully someone has a link to instructions.
Dont forget you'll need to put ur fan on a switch or use a fan controller. and some sort of ign box too

I made an adapter harness. I went to a junkyard, grabbed a junked computer (with the same connecter, cut off the male wiring harness connector, and got the pin out charts. Somewhere there is a pinout chart for both cars. There are only like 13 pins that need to be moved...it really is not that hard.

I've said it plenty of times and I'll say it again. Why take out your STOCK computer and replace it with another STOCK computer when more than likely you will end up with a chip or tuner in the future.

I've said it plenty of times and I'll say it again. Why take out your STOCK computer and replace it with another STOCK computer when more than likely you will end up with a chip or tuner in the future.

because the older STOCK computer may allow him to drive the car up and until he gets it tuned, if he ever does:shrug:

One main reason for the swap, I have a megasquirt that I will be using on the car. It has been set up for the fox harness because we were having issues with the thing when it was wired for the sn95 ( fuel pump and fan were running constant). I didnt do the assembly so im not sure what the problem was. I have a tweeccer but for some reason will not connect to the computer, I get the no connection message in the lower left side. The tweecer works on other peoples cars, just not mine. I was up last night looking at both the fox and the sn95 pinouts, and I am sure i figured the thing out. I like the idea of making a harness, I think that route may be the best thing for my car right now. Hey SQUEEZE&STROKE, do you have any pics of the harness you made? Thanks for the feedback guys.

The tweecer works on other peoples cars, just not mine.
Doesn't this imply that there is either something wrong with YOUR ecu or YOUR tweecer unit?

The MS didn't work with the 'proper' wiring, so you are trying an alternate configuration?

Seems like you are throwing parts at the problem, instead of figuring out what is really going on:shrug:

Just my take on it though.
Best of Luck,
jason

I agree. This myth of the fox computer being superior is just that...a myth. There are plenty of people out there now that can easily tune a 94-95 computer with no trouble at all.

I don't know about there being plenty of people, I would agree that there are a few that know how to tune the 94-95 but that will vary depending on where you live. In the event you do find someone it isn't going to be cheap. After you buy the chip and get the dyno time in you can be looking at upwards of $500 bucks or better. But thats no the best part, the best part is if you make a change to your setup (and trust me you will) you need to come back for a reburn. This makes you dependent. As far as the fox computer being a myth. The fact of the matter is the A9L computer is much more friendly to engine mods. Fox body guys don't have the problem we do when it comes to adding cams, heads intakes etc. They simply bolt the parts on and go period. That ain't no myth go ask any fox body guy. Don't get me wrong Im not against tuning for performance. But I flat out don't like chips. If you wanna stick with the stock computer I would look into a tweecer RT. Bolt on guys I would look at the A9L conversion.

The problem with the megasquirt was I didnt do the assembly. I wish I had, I just didnt have the time. Maybe it was wired fine, and maybe it was not, ill never know. The guy that made it is doing the changes on it, if it doesnt work, im gonna get another and do it myself. I know, wasting money, but I want it done right and I have to pay the price for not doing the assembly myself. with that said, I just took my tweecer in to have it check with the shop I bought it from, fingers are crossed that its ok. As for the adapter harness, I made that a couple nights ago. Took a while, but works great. The car fired up with the a9l and it sounds great. Dont get me wrong, it doesnt run great, but if the tweecer ends up fine im using it. Thanks again for all the help.

The Fox pcm retrofit has been discussed over and over here and on all the other
Stang sites for several years now :crazy:

You will see it all boil down to this :)

The older pcm is more forgiving about hot rod parts being installed and that can
be a good thing :nice:

For those who are going to get serious with modding their car, and are looking
for optimum power, older pcm or original pcm, it makes no matter what so ever :nono:

Either one ... UNTUNED ... will leave power on the table :Word:

That being said ... I saw tuning the original pcm as less money (buying another
pcm, aftermarket ignition, etc) and hassle ... so ... I went with a Tweecer and
learned how to tune my 95GT myself ;)

Grady

What is a Tweecer? I have been studying this issue lately. And i found that the PIH kit was released in 1996 to cope with the constant problems found in the 94 - 95. Nowadays, the chip and tune technology is so far ahead, all the PIH kit function can be handled by a good tuner tech. Now what in the heck is a Tweecer? other than one of those raver kids?

True, I just thought it could be taken that it was like a PMS, Diablo, Hypertech type handheld...bit of a suprise when he would open the box on that one....I was shocked enough when I opened my box and found a little box that pluged into the eec, 2 wires, another little box with a knob on it, and a sticker. I chuckled...wow $550 for this. Been hooked ever since.