i STILL have vibration. harmonic balancer? PLEASE help me

fiveoho said:
the flywheel is new. it comes with a 50 ounce imbalance. no need to balance

That's true in theory. My vibration problem was caused by an unbalanced "new" flywheel out of the box. After I had it balanced my vibration was gone. The machine shop drilled out a significant amount of metal to make the flywheel balance. He also added a little metal to my pressure plate make it more balanced as well.

Have you tried putting your stock transmission mount back in? The only reason I bring it up is that I think you said that your vibration started after you put in the poly mount along with your machined flywheel, etc. Someone else posted that going back to stock fixed their vibration.

Good luck.

Barney

• Sponsors (?)

crazy how "new" parts dont always work like they should. i will put it this way : a new flywheel is SHOULD be balanced when bought and ready to install.

soon as i get some time, the stock trans mount is going back in.

thanks for good luck wishes

you and i both are having a time with this :nonono:

I know...aint this some stuff...but check this out. when this problem all started i had stock and good trans mount.

Due to having bad motor mounts i changed all to poly. I know it does have nothing to do with trans mount for a FACT.

4 techs(break tech, tune up tech, engine/driveline tech, service advisor) at ford drove my car and finally figured out that it is the FLYWHEEL and "might" be a retainer bearing wearing out(they told me they will balance the driveshaft for free??? they should anyways right?! LOL), when i am doing the clutch i am changing it all at the sametime, not too much out of pocket cash, the techs told me to get "billet steel" flywheel. they told me it lasts longer and better then stock one. they told me "No-go" on aluminum flywheel.

They are having time of their life with my car too...LOL

Hey just wanted to let you know im in the same boat.. I have a 95 cobra i took the trans out had it rebuilt stuck it in and it vibrates @ 3600rpm while sittin still took it to the shop they put a new flywheel/clutch/balancer on then changed the piolate bearing and rear main seal and changed something else also.. But it was in the shop 3 weeks and the gave it back to me still vibratein @ 3600 rpm.. The guy tried tellin me that my crank is outta balance or i broke a piston skirt but up to 3600rpm it doest miss a beat it runs nice.(so im in the process of savin for a short block) Cant wait to hear if you figure out ur prob cuz i bet mine is the same

what kind of vibration are you talking about?

I was wondering because I have a vibration at idle that wasnt there before.

sort of hard to describe. a all-over-vibration. definetly can tell its motor/tranny related.

over the past 3 weeks or so, mine has smoothed out a noticeable amount. i talked to centerforce. they mentioned when leaving the same clutch in after a flywheel swap, the clutch has to "mesh" again to the new flywheel

sort of hard to describe. a all-over-vibration. definetly can tell its motor/tranny related.

over the past 3 weeks or so, mine has smoothed out a noticeable amount. i talked to centerforce. they mentioned when leaving the same clutch in after a flywheel swap, the clutch has to "mesh" again to the new flywheel

When I saw that comment about the fw & clutch will eventually
mesh

I see it kinda like the old timers used to talk about brakes

Now ... I'm talking about brake drums and shoes.
After the drums were turned to provide a fresh surface and you
installed new shoes ... they used to say it will take a while for
those shoes to "bed' or "bed in" until your brakes work like
they really should.

I gotta think they are talking about the same thing going on
between the disk and flywheel when they use the word "mesh".

Sure ... the grip will become better because all the high spots on each
surface gets knocked down more and more until eventually each surface
is totally in contact with each other.

Never the less ... If the fw or disk is outta balance

No amount of bedding or meshing is gonna make that imbalance
go away it would seem to me.

Grady

okay update, MY CAR BLEW UP! BECAUSE OF THIS! i am kidding...:), My u-joint was bad already!!! i got my aluminum driveshaft a year ago and u-joint already went bad??? WTF!!! so i change that! vibe still there, I am putting new flywheel in, car in the shop again, I SWEAR THIS CAR IS IN THE SHOP MORE THEN I DRIVE IT!!! it's either replaceing parts or upgrading parts, i am happy when i upgrade but get angry when parts break!!! hehe

When I saw that comment about the fw & clutch will eventually
mesh

I see it kinda like the old timers used to talk about brakes

Now ... I'm talking about brake drums and shoes.
After the drums were turned to provide a fresh surface and you
installed new shoes ... they used to say it will take a while for
those shoes to "bed' or "bed in" until your brakes work like
they really should.

I gotta think they are talking about the same thing going on
between the disk and flywheel when they use the word "mesh".

Sure ... the grip will become better because all the high spots on each
surface gets knocked down more and more until eventually each surface
is totally in contact with each other.

Never the less ... If the fw or disk is outta balance

No amount of bedding or meshing is gonna make that imbalance
go away it would seem to me.

Grady

sort of like disc brakes too? change out the pads but dont turn or replace the rotor. your high or low spots may become more noticeable with the new pads because the new pads arent "meshed" to the surface of the disc?

about you mentioning that if the disk is out of balance, no amount of breakin or meshing time will correct the problem. i agree. i am beginning to think i am lucky tho and mine is correctly balanced and the "meshing" is taking place. it is smoother after some miles.

*about your post:

i did not see one single smiley face in that post. Grady, is this really you or has someone hi-jacked your account? :p

okay update, MY CAR BLEW UP! BECAUSE OF THIS! i am kidding...:), My u-joint was bad already!!! i got my aluminum driveshaft a year ago and u-joint already went bad??? WTF!!! so i change that! vibe still there, I am putting new flywheel in, car in the shop again, I SWEAR THIS CAR IS IN THE SHOP MORE THEN I DRIVE IT!!! it's either replaceing parts or upgrading parts, i am happy when i upgrade but get angry when parts break!!! hehe

good luck. let us know

from what you describe it sounds to me like it is the flywheel. it could either be out of balance, or may b the bolts are not as tight as they should be. it could not be the trans, clutch, or pressure plate. the only other thing yould be the balancer. try useing a sirometer on your car and if u send me the hz of the vibration and at what engine rpm it occurs at and i have a program installed on my computer. it is from ford. it tells u what prob u have by putting this info into the program and it gives u a line graph to tell u what it is. let me kno. of and if u dont have a sirometer u can pick one up for like 15 bucks. they are worth every cent for these type of probs.