I think my Fox might be a 1 of 1 car...

Quick Backstory... in 1986 or 1987, my uncle bought a Mustang. It had been special ordered by someone who canceled the order before my Uncle picked it up.

2 years later he sold it to my father, who always drove that car every single time he came to pick me up for the weekends... and drove it hard. To me, that car is a piece of my dad, so while the details are irrelevant, I am trying to track down what I can of it. It is also the inspiration for my love of Mustangs, and cars in general. It's always been my dream car.

In the late 2000's, he had some drug issues and sold it back to my uncle who had always regretted selling it.

During that time, my uncle rebuilt it and irritatingly had it repainted it Saleen Green... something I will have to rectify once I can get enough other tasks out of the way that I can focus on it and tear it completely apart for a stupidly expensive paint job and custom striping... After another 3-4 years, he sold it back to my father... Who a couple of weeks ago finally sold the car to me... with about 42,000 miles on the clock.

Sorry for all the unrelated details, but I am still super excited and had to share.

Anyway, I do know that the car is nothing else is an extremely rare vehicle, as it is a 1987 manual Mustang GT Convertible with color code 1K (Smoke) of which there were only 206 produced. The thing is, most convertibles I have seen had a red interior, whereas this one has a smoke interior which in itself I do not believe was very common. Adding to that, it does not have power door locks or windows but does have power mirrors.

While in the long run it does not really matter... I would love it if there was any way to narrow down the production numbers any further then 206. Any ideas?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1655686089208.jpg
    FB_IMG_1655686089208.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 129
  • FB_IMG_1655686097474.jpg
    FB_IMG_1655686097474.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Sponsors (?)

There was never a "Smoke" exterior or interior color on a Fox Mustang.

1K exterior paint color = Light Grey
G interior trim color = Medium Grey

If you want a lower number than 1 of 206 you'll need a 'personalized statistics report' from Marti Auto Works

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users
Like said, you'll need a personalized Marti report to really break it down lower than that. They can usually tailor it pretty well so that they do break down to a 1 of 1 so don't be surprised.

For example, my car is a common black LX but it can be broken down to a 1 of 1.
2E6A5640-6ECF-460C-AAC4-23F5E94610E8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
There was never a "Smoke" exterior or interior color on a Fox Mustang.

1K exterior paint color = Light Grey
G interior trim color = Medium Grey

If you want a lower number than 1 of 206 you'll need a 'personalized statistics report' from Marti Auto Works

Interesting. I was basing the exterior color name on an old post from 2005 showing production numbers, which was confirmed by LMR, neither of which list 'Light Grey' as an option.

To be fair, based on one of the pages at Marti Works, there were many colors that had different names given to them by different departments internally to ford, so there would technically be multiple correct answers there. I did notice no mention of either Smoke or Dove grey (the other name I have found for what appears to be the same color) in the 1987 Mustang Sales Brochure. There, it is listed as Light Grey exterior/Medium Grey Interior.

Like said, you'll need a personalized Marti report to really break it down lower than that. They can usually tailor it pretty well so that they do break down to a 1 of 1 so don't be surprised.

For example, my car is a common black LX but it can be broken down to a 1 of 1.
2E6A5640-6ECF-460C-AAC4-23F5E94610E8.jpeg

Thanks! I figured if there was any way to do it, someone here would know. I had done a ton of googling myself with no luck finding that guy. I appreciate the example image too!

Elite Report ordered, with an extra door sticker. :)

Most of those production numbers are not verified. Many of the ones that are verified are wrong. The 1987 1K GT convertible number of 206 is verified to be correct.

There are quite a few names that are wrong too, from the original source. Even some codes are wrong. Then they just get repeated. Even LMR repeated the wrong names and codes. They have a paint chart that I made dozens of code and name corrections to. Their paint chart is a mess.

Yes, Ford had different names and codes...for different model lines or models. For example, 1D on the 1986-88 Mustang was called 'Dark Grey Metallic' but on the 1986 Capri it was 'Smoke Metallic'. But everybody else calls 1D on the Mustang "Smoke" or "Smoke Poly". Another example is 8Y on the 1985-87 Mustang is called 'Dark Clove Brown Metallic' but everybody else calls it "Dark Sable". Dark Sable is a legit name...for the 1985 Tempo and Thunderbird, and the code for that name is 81, not 8Y. That's where these third party sources get it wrong, and then wrong info gets repeated.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Most of those production numbers are not verified. Many of the ones that are verified are wrong. The 1987 1K GT convertible number of 206 is verified to be correct.

There are quite a few names that are wrong too, from the original source. Even some codes are wrong. Then they just get repeated. Even LMR repeated the wrong names and codes. They have a paint chart that I made dozens of code and name corrections to. Their paint chart is a mess.

Yes, Ford had different names and codes...for different model lines or models. For example, 1D on the 1986-88 Mustang was called 'Dark Grey Metallic' but on the 1986 Capri it was 'Smoke Metallic'. But everybody else calls 1D on the Mustang "Smoke" or "Smoke Poly". Another example is 8Y on the 1985-87 Mustang is called 'Dark Clove Brown Metallic' but everybody else calls it "Dark Sable". Dark Sable is a legit name...for the 1985 Tempo and Thunderbird, and the code for that name is 81, not 8Y. That's where these third party sources get it wrong, and then wrong info gets repeated.
That makes sense and explains quite well why it seems nobody has a freaking clue what the 'correct' names are.

It's crazy that someone has the capability to break down sales numbers and pull data the way that Marti can... Even with the Ford database. But people can't seem to get something as basic as the name correct everywhere.

Thanks for all the help!