I thought i blew my motor..anyone have that happen?

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
My car was running great today, after i re-gapped my plugs to .040 and found it was my whole bucking/power-loss issue below 2,000 rpm( i had them at .025).....it was a good day and after a nice full throttle run at full boost, all the sudden my car wouldn't idle below 2,000 and started smoking black smoke BADLY.......i was like crap.....i probably melted a piston or cracked the block, i was able to make it home using large amounts of ebrake at the stops while i gave it gas, it drove as if it was running on 4 cyls...i was pissed at the least......SO i started pulling plugs and checking compression....i couldn't find the issue until i started it up, held it at 2,000 rpm and heard a whistling....:)

Turns out one of my t-bolt clamps that holds on my MAF was bottomed out, and i thought it was tight....so it was sucking in unmetered air when the meter blew off!....it wasn't obvious because it is in my fender!:bang:

that made my day....figured i would share.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Happened to me a couple weeks ago... My blower belt frayed and cracked the bypass hose on the water pump so I had low coolant warnings, and the belt was floppping all over the place hitting everything and it sounded like detonation. Thought I messed up something pretty bad. New belt, new hose, all is well.

SO did you end up running the car at the track or no?

That reminds me of one time when my girlfriend was driving the car and she kept complaining that it ran like crap. I thought whatever, it's just the cam and she needs to get used to it. Well that night she called me and said the car will hardly run. I drive down to meet her and check it out. It turns out the MAF just came unplugged, I just laughed and plugged it back in and wondered how the hell she drove it around all day like that.

To bring this thread back from the dead........
Today my car decided to give me a heart attack again.

I was driving to work, and give it a nice wot pull in 2nd gear.....i cant physically drive to car anywhere without the pedal going to the floor at least once......Anyhow, right as i reach 4 grand the car gives a HUGE BACKFIRE....BOOM.....and them immediately shuts off.....so I'm rolling along, and i try to restart the car....nothing, DEAD.....just cranks and cranks. So, i coast to the side of the road and it wont start at all....so with sadness, i opened the hood and diden't find anything out of the ordinary, while people are driving by probably laughing......

I thought i had blown the motor....i mean what would you think? I was about to call the tow truck when i figured i would check the coil since i had just changed it out....to my surprise i found the constant power wire had slipped off the terminal.....i put it back on and BAM....it fired right up..

Ain't that the best feeling when you realize you don't have to spend all kinds of money and time!

GreenMustangGt said:
To bring this thread back from the dead........
Today my car decided to give me a heart attack again.

I was driving to work, and give it a nice wot pull in 2nd gear.....i cant physically drive to car anywhere without the pedal going to the floor at least once......Anyhow, right as i reach 4 grand the car gives a HUGE BACKFIRE....BOOM.....and them immediately shuts off.....so I'm rolling along, and i try to restart the car....nothing, DEAD.....just cranks and cranks. So, i coast to the side of the road and it wont start at all....so with sadness, i opened the hood and diden't find anything out of the ordinary, while people are driving by probably laughing......

I thought i had blown the motor....i mean what would you think? I was about to call the tow truck when i figured i would check the coil since i had just changed it out....to my surprise i found the constant power wire had slipped off the terminal.....i put it back on and BAM....it fired right up..

Ain't that the best feeling when you realize you don't have to spend all kinds of money and time!

sounds like you got lucky again. Now you need to take it to the track :nice: