i took the stock fox to the track last night

superspec

Aug 14, 2006
i guess i did ok considering its completely stock minus the mufflers and removed silencer. i never launched it before lastnight and i was on *****ty 5 yr old tires:notnice:

60ft 2.18
1/8 9.54 @ 73.29
1/4 14.93 @ 91.14

what do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

That's def. a respectable 60' time. Get some better tires, not neccesarily drag radials or anything, and you will notice a lot better ET's. I don't know where you are shifting but you might be able to get a little faster by experimenting with that. My bone stock GT ran a best of 14.3 on street tires with a 2.06 60' time. You and I could both be better with practice i'm sure! :nice:

i was shifting right at 5k. i didnt realize that until my 2nd pass shifting into 3rd. i was having some issue shifting into second. i swear the track had oil on it both passes when i shifted to 2nd. the first pass i blow the tires off all the way through 2nd gear. and the rear was skating around. next time i go ill def. have some good rubber.

more than some people here, but yeah a nice burn DOES help at the track.

Yes, a solid burnout is good, but roasting the tires and making a big smoke show is completely useless. Street tires are not meant to operate under high temperatures because they have to provide as much traction as possible with as little heat in them as possible for safe use in normal driving. Spinning them up for a couple seconds will put a little temperature in them that will help a little bit, but sitting there for anything more than 5 seconds is simply killing tread life...

That 60' time is really good especially for street tires. Probably a tenth quicker than I could ever pull off on stockers. Get some new tires and play with your shift points, 5k isnt bad but you might go a hint faster shifting a couple hundred RPM's lower. Seems like your top end is a little soft on power. Get a K&N, set the timing, set the TPS voltage, do a tune up and some generic things like fuel injector cleaner and what not to make sure you are flowing as much fuel and air as you can and watch a few tenths fall off that time. Also how much gas was in the tank and did you have any heavy stereo equipment in the car? I went 14.4@97 in a bone stock 2.73 geared 91 LX that only had flowmasters.

With street tires your going to have to see what individual tires want. Mine liked nothing more than 3-5 seconds to get a tiny bit of haze and they were fine. I was doing nothing but launching off idle the one and only time out, and went 2.0s all day long. Could have been 1.9s if I actually slipped the clutch and worked on it some.

Yes, a solid burnout is good, but roasting the tires and making a big smoke show is completely useless. Street tires are not meant to operate under high temperatures because they have to provide as much traction as possible with as little heat in them as possible for safe use in normal driving. Spinning them up for a couple seconds will put a little temperature in them that will help a little bit, but sitting there for anything more than 5 seconds is simply killing tread life...

That 60' time is really good especially for street tires. Probably a tenth quicker than I could ever pull off on stockers. Get some new tires and play with your shift points, 5k isnt bad but you might go a hint faster shifting a couple hundred RPM's lower. Seems like your top end is a little soft on power. Get a K&N, set the timing, set the TPS voltage, do a tune up and some generic things like fuel injector cleaner and what not to make sure you are flowing as much fuel and air as you can and watch a few tenths fall off that time. Also how much gas was in the tank and did you have any heavy stereo equipment in the car? I went 14.4@97 in a bone stock 2.73 geared 91 LX that only had flowmasters.

thats exactly what i did. i drove around the water box as best i could and did a short burn to throw off what water i picked up plus to get a touch of heat. 3 -4 sec tops. i lost most of my time when i hit 2nd gear. something about that spot in the track just wouldnt let me hook. i was actually having to pedal the car through 2nd gear. i know it wasnt because i had to much power. on the street 2nd chirps and hooks hard but lastnight the track must have had water or oil in that spot.