I want shine!!

SXYXC

Apr 22, 2007
OK so tomorrow i have all day off. (YES!!) and i want to get my car look the best that it can w/o having to buy anything else. WHat i plan to do tomorrow is, Pull the wheels clean with Meguires Hot wheels, then clean the wheel weld with tire shine. hte start to wash my car first wash with dish soap, then clay bar with meguires clay bar, then wash with meguires wash. then polish with meguires polish. but for the finish i can't decided. I have Meguires cleaner wax, Turtle wax Ice, Zymole, and some Meguires Gold class. then i was going to go over all my plastic with tire shine, and clean the intereor with meguirs quiki detail. waht do yall think i should use for the wax?? and how do yall think it will turn out??
ohh its a black car and i want the deepest shine not nessecerily the shinest, but the deepest and nicest

• Sponsors (?)

the paint isn't too bad, there area few things that can be buffed out. but for a 10 year old paint its still pretty good,

ohh is there anyway that i can fix a spot on my front bumper where the clear coat is pealing?? its the only really bad part of the car. ther rest is just little swirls that i can almost get off by hand. but right now i don't have the money for any expensive or nice wax, otherwise i would get some poor boys, or meguirs perfesional. and a nice buffer

Not being a jerk but how can dish soap mess up your paint? I use dove dish soap because it removes wax so I can then do cleaner wax, polish, then carnuba wax. Just asking because I've never heard of dish soap being a bad thing, unless you don't want your wax stripped off your car first.
Anyways, I use the 3 step technique as explained above with a P/C and it's awsome. I know you don't have a P/C but the process is still the same. Wash, cleaner wax/Claybar, Polish, then seal with a good wax. I would suggest using that Ice wax last after the Carnuba of your choice. I always have a hard time getting it all off, black car, so I use the Ice quick detailer to get the last of the Ice liquid wax off.
Either way save up for a P/C buffer and you'll be happy. I love mine.
Good luck and show use some before and after pics.

ok so i changed up the lista little does this look good?

First step. Pull Wheels and clean the rims, the best i can.
Step 2: Clean wheel welds, and shine with Meguires tire shine
Step 3: wash car
Step 4: clay bar car with Meguires clay bar
Step 5: wash car with Meguires car wash
Step 6: dry car completly
Step 7: Wax car with cleaner wax
Step 7: Polish car with Meguires car polish
Step 8: Wax car Meguires Gold class
Step 9: touch up plastic pieces
Step 10: clean Glass
Step 11: clean intereor with Meguires Quick Detail + Vacume the carpet
Step 12: think about or if time permits put a layer of turtle wax ice on
Step 13: clean convertible boot
Step 14: take pictures

Don't remove the dish soap if you are starting all over. Use Dawn. It's great. I would suggest doing a Dawn wash, then clay. After that, I would use my Porter Cable, but if you don't have one, then try some fine swirl remover with a foam hand pad and a ton of elbow grease. After that, do a good polishing with the polish of your choice. For swirl removal and polish, I like Pinnacle products.

After that, seal it and wax it. I'm with San-Man on the Natty's Blue paste wax. It's the best carnauba wax I have ever used, and it smells yummy. You can stack the coats for an incredibly deep shine. I even threw some liquid NXT over the Natty's and it was pretty sweet. I'd stay away from the ICE though. That stuff was a bitch and a half to get off, and the shine didn't last that long.

There's nothing wrong with using dish soap either. It's just to make a fresh start. It's not going to hurt the surface at all, as long as the soap doesn't have a bunch of crazy additives in it. Once you prep your paint, it should be good for a long while, so long as you maintain it. I only dawn wash my cars once a year, if that.

There's no such thing as perfect shine in a can. You're gonna have to put some elbow grease into it for sure. Properly prepared paint doesn't even need wax to impress.

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with using Dawn to strip the wax. Numerous high-end polish manufacturers and detailing websites recommend it. Dawn is harmless, and will strip all the oils and old product on your paint. A claybar will not take off road oils and the like, only surface contaminants.

Now, it isn't meant to be used on a regular basis, but once or twice a year is fine.

After that, seal it and wax it. I'm with San-Man on the Natty's Blue paste wax. It's the best carnauba wax I have ever used, and it smells yummy. You can stack the coats for an incredibly deep shine. I even threw some liquid NXT over the Natty's and it was pretty sweet. I'd stay away from the ICE though. That stuff was a bitch and a half to get off, and the shine didn't last that long.

I agree. Natty's is, for the cost, the best carnuba out there. Sure, Pinn Souvergn may be "better," but not $65.00 a can better. You can get Natty's for like $15.00 for the can, and it lasts a long time. Best smelling wax ever too (bubble gum smell :) )

shirolex said:
There's no such thing as perfect shine in a can. You're gonna have to put some elbow grease into it for sure. Properly prepared paint doesn't even need wax to impress.

And true again. Improperly prepped paint will look like ass no matter what polish or wax you put over it. Take some time and invest in a Porter Cable DA polisher....your car will love you for it.

Why wax before polishing?

I wash the car, clay-bar, then bring out the PC and polish with a cleaner polish, then wax.

I'm new to detailing, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard anyone say the phrase "wax then polish"

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with using Dawn to strip the wax. Numerous high-end polish manufacturers and detailing websites recommend it. Dawn is harmless, and will strip all the oils and old product on your paint.

BS. I have NEVER heard of ANYONE recommending regular dish soap to wash a car. That sh1t has harsh chemicals/acids in it that will ruin the clear coat of the car.

BTW Stangless, just ignore these a$$holes. I have seen your car, and you can make that b1tch SHINE!:nice: