I want to build a 347.

warpd

Dec 27, 2005
Auburn,AL
Ok my car has 172,000 miles on it and runs alright besides leaking oil from the rear main seal. I figured its time for a rebuild and I might as well stroke it while its out.I want a 347 that will make good NA power, I might decide to spray a small shot on it later but for now I'd just like a stout NA motor that will be a daily driver. I'd like to stay with stock compression ratio or maybe even higher, I already run 93 octane. The heads I think I want to go with are AFR 185s unless someone thinks another head would be better suited. As far as intake manifolds I am open to suggestions, what intake manifold would work the best?
Also my best friend is a car tech that graduated about 6 months ago from school and he said he'd help me build it he is very knowledgeable I learned most of what I know about cars from him before he even went to school. Should I buy a pre-assembled short block like from DSS or CHP, or do you think we should do it ourselves? What would be the best stroker kit for these goals? What will I need to keep the stock compression or higher with aluminum heads? Thanks beforehand for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

IT all depends on your budget, if you dont have a budget then contack Rick (Rick91gt) and have him build you a motor and youll never regret it. If your on a tight budget, youll probably have to take the block you have, take it to a machine shop have it preped, bored out etc. Im pretty sure CHP had a special for the 347 stroker kit for like $900, not sure if its still that price. I personally would not attempt to do it myself, If you want to do some of it yourself, have Rick build you a short block, and build the rest of it yourself. I considered building a 347 out of a spare 302 i had in my garage and i just gave up because I knew i didnt have the funds, but I did alot of research on it and i know its not easy at all. Just read, type in "347" or 347 stroker in the stangnet search and just read all the posts you can go to as many websites as you can. If you want to do it really easily all it takes is money, if your on a tighter budget it will take more.

With stock (9.0:1) compression there is no reason you should have to run 93.
Unless you've advanced the timing too much. :shrug:

For a 347 street build I suggest going with a CHP stroker kit or shortblock with the 5.315" rods. The shorter rods give you more meat on the pistons in the event you do add some spray or charge it later on.

The AFR185's are a great street head and will retain good low-end torque with the stroker. I suggest getting their 61cc combustion chamber heads to aid in keeping compression down.

When you order a shortblock/stroker kit, make sure you tell them what heads you are going to run and what compression goals you're after so they can sell you the correct pistons for the application.

As far as an intake, I suggest a Holley SysteMax or an Edelbrock RPMII.

Another thing you have to consider is the bumpstick.
If emissions is a real concern, make sure you get a custom ground cam to maximize your potential and still remain smog legal.

Good luck and I recommend doing the build yourself.
No one will care more about how 'on the money' it is except you.
It's not difficult to assemble an engine, just make sure you do it properly.