Ice bags on intake manifold?

I was out at the track the other day and everyone had icebags on there 5.0 intake manifolds. I was wondering how much this even helped,... i know it cools down the manifold to have a cooler charge of air, but i was just wondering how much it really helped or if it was just waste of a buck for the ice and caused water to leak out of the bag down onto the wiring. Just curious.

• Sponsors (?)

I fought about this before and probally will again, but I see a few problems with the idea. There are too many variables, trying to drop the tempature of a hot intake about 25lbs of metal, than if your sucessful in doing that now your trying to transfer the cooling effect from the intake to the incoming air charge. First off the air coming through the intake doesn't stay long enough in the intake comparment to be able to have a reduction in its tempature. Now your so called cold air is entering the intake ports of the cylinder head which is still hot.

As I see it an intake isn't a very efficient water/air intercooler even with ice on it. I'm nop arguing the fact that cooler denser air makes more power thats quiet obvious just drive your car in the winter, the the ice on the intake is a placebo effect if you ask me. But hey what it takes to make you go faster wether its real or not, go for it. :)

ok what about the hot intake valves, the hot walls of the cylinder, the hot tubing that the air travels in before it reaches the intake. Its going from hot to cold back to hot. I get what your saying but I think its just too little to have an effect where people can see .1 off the et or say 10hp from icing.

Who cares about the "theory" behind it, IT WORKS. Proven fact. But for you book worms:

Cooler air is more dence than hot air, so more oxygen will fill the same amount of space. Even if it is heated back up when it hits the hot combustion chamber, more air got onto the combustion chamber, after that the heat is a good our friend, unless it detonates, but thats another topic.

GM uses Reverse Flow Cooling in thier LS and LT series engines for this reason. That's why they can run 10.5:1 compression on regular unleaded.

yeah I guess your right theory means nothing but than your statenment that its a proven fact makes no sense, whatever man I don't believe in fairytales and if you actually took the time to read what I wrote i said cooler more dense air makes more power, But the way your trying to do it doesn't work, you'd have better luck putting ice in your intake tract and having it cool the air blowing through it, if that was possible to do without getting water in your engine.

bmo37 said:
I fought about this before and probally will again, but I see a few problems with the idea. There are too many variables, trying to drop the tempature of a hot intake about 25lbs of metal, than if your sucessful in doing that now your trying to transfer the cooling effect from the intake to the incoming air charge. First off the air coming through the intake doesn't stay long enough in the intake comparment to be able to have a reduction in its tempature. Now your so called cold air is entering the intake ports of the cylinder head which is still hot.

As I see it an intake isn't a very efficient water/air intercooler even with ice on it. I'm nop arguing the fact that cooler denser air makes more power thats quiet obvious just drive your car in the winter, the the ice on the intake is a placebo effect if you ask me. But hey what it takes to make you go faster wether its real or not, go for it. :)
Yep I'de have to believe that more than the theory of it working. You're talking about how dense colder air is which carries more oxygen than hot - everyone knows that. The way I see it is if you have a cold air setup, your intake is sucking in that cold air which already has dense air molecules, what happens to them in the airtight system once they reach the intake and passes through it for the brief brief time it's in there? It doesn't have enough time to react really. I think also it's a placebo much like the crowd that says they "feel" more horses after installing the tornado. Does the ice trick work? I'm sure it does to a very limited extent, but there is SO MUCH metal that you have to cool to make it really worth while.

It seems like all the magazine guru's like MM&FF and 5.0 mustang ice the intake before each pass and then record better times. I get ice from McDonalds for $0.99 for a 10# bag and I use ziplock freezer bags and they do not drip or leak. I notice a difference albeit small. but to each their own if you do not want a easy tenth then don't
Travis

Well I rae heads up with about 30-40 other cars every time I go to the track, and guess what, ice on every intake. There is a difference, I see it if I ice or dont ice as well as all the guys I race with. Anyway to cool a motor will help (fans blowing on them, not starting them until you run, icing the intake) and this happens to be easy and cheap!

Dog it all you want, but I use it and so do lots of other fast cars.

I don't recall seeing any big time racers icing there intakes like, funny car, top fuel, pro-stock, efi renegade, real street, etc the list goes on. Im not doging itI just don't believe in it. Like I said before what you can do to go faster than do it.

This is kinda off-topic but my dad keeps bugging me to install a cool can for the fuel line to run through.

Supposedly you get a nice solid container put a drain plug/petcock on the bottom and then a coiled section of the metal fuel line inside and dump ice water in the can... cool fuel.

Does it help? who the hell knows.

Is the fuel in this "cold section" long enough to be cooled?

Seems like a lot of work... Anyone do this? :shrug:

Umm Real Street cars do, as well as Factory Stock cars, Pure Street etc...

As a matter of fact, I have even seen guys run with dry ice on the intake, and fuel rails.

If you dont like it, thats cool, but I run the times I run with ice, wont run them without it, so whatever, I have proof!