I'd Like Some Insight And Advice On Modular Vs Non Modulars. I'm Thinking About Getting Another Car

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
I've always loved the sound of the modular motors 99-04 and the hollow tone vs a non modular. I really don't have much experience with them at all and never really inquired about them. Back in the day around early 2000's I heard that 99 and ups were harder and more costly to work on, mod, ect. I want to know if anyone here has some nice stories to tell me as far as the transition to working on them, finding mechanics who can work on them and any other tid bits. I am not talking about a motor swap. I would buy one and I have learned my lesson from back in 95 when I bought my stang as a v6 ( right out of high school with no credit and just joining the army) and having to do a swap 7 yrs later after a blown head gasket. I did learn a lot though during the whole swap and changing combos and such over the years but now I'm more apt to buying something at least mostly there with what I want to do.

I looked at some vids today on youtube for 99-04's with cams, headers, ect and it pulled up a vid of an 06 that I absolutely love the way this car sound and i surely want to mimic it in a 99-04 if I can. Should I go ahead and just get an 03-04 cobra and mod the engine some? All of these things I would have to take into consideration who can work on the dang thing. I know some guys that can work on my 95 and I can do some work myself but I'm sure the modular thing would be a different story and less space to work with also so I am considering all of these things. I do want to do a 331 with my 95 when I need engine work and so with this other car I wouldn't mind being in the 400 hp range at least. Not sure if I should mess with getting something that has an SC on it already or not. I do have a guy in Texas that can mod the modular motor for me if I don't get one already modded when purchase but I am skeptical about trusting buying one not knowing a whole lot about those engines and how to work on them, troubleshooting myself. I mean I can definitely read up on it and learn but not sure I'd want to mess with too much in depth though I will get there in time if I bought one. So I guess I'm all ears for you guys who will chime in. I posted in this section to see if any of you guys maybe went modular after having an 86-98 and can give me some good pointers. I still plan to get some answers from the other sections at a later time.

Also as far as the exhaust on the non modulars only thing that can be done as far as the sound and tone other than the cubic inches are headers, x or h pipe, the mufflers , and I may be leaving out a few things. As far as that 06 having FRPP stingers, is that something different with the newer cars that isn't available for 87-98 or efen 86-04 that makes an obvious difference in sound?

Thanks guys

06 I was talking about :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCmdoGgYNPk

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

It's a matter of how much you can do vs having to pay somebody instead.

Simply put, a mod motor is more expensive across the board. In the case of the cams, there are two ( or 4) vs one in a traditional Windsor. So, right off the bat, you have a material cost differential. The process of that swap is not easy, and certainly not for a beginner, or somebody that doesn't have a strong connection to somebody that could help reliably. I've never priced what it would cost to pay someone to do a cam swap on a DOHC engine, but I'd surely estimate it as pretty high. 8 coils, instead of one, and an expensive set of exhaust headers that ( on the 4 cam engine) can't even be seen from above.

The 2 v engine gets a stock power increase from 02 up, ( p.i. Heads) so starting from scratch, best to avoid the earlier version of the engine. And after market heads for the engine ain't cheap. ( twice as much as a commonly available set of Windsor heads)

Personally, I like the mod motor over the old school 5.0. I like the higher revving engine, and the smoother feel to the engine. I can't say I prefer the sound of one vs the other because I'm gonna put mufflers that quieten the noise level on either engine regardless, but there is a different sound to them for sure.

The 06 engine is a 3v,. I'm not sure zactly, but I'd be willing to wager the cams are even higher, i don't think that there is a head other than stock.

It's a matter of how much you can do vs having to pay somebody instead.

Simply put, a mod motor is more expensive across the board. In the case of the cams, there are two ( or 4) vs one in a traditional Windsor. So, right off the bat, you have a material cost differential. The process of that swap is not easy, and certainly not for a beginner, or somebody that doesn't have a strong connection to somebody that could help reliably. I've never priced what it would cost to pay someone to do a cam swap on a DOHC engine, but I'd surely estimate it as pretty high. 8 coils, instead of one, and an expensive set of exhaust headers that ( on the 4 cam engine) can't even be seen from above.

The 2 v engine gets a stock power increase from 02 up, ( p.i. Heads) so starting from scratch, best to avoid the earlier version of the engine. And after market heads for the engine ain't cheap. ( twice as much as a commonly available set of Windsor heads)

Personally, I like the mod motor over the old school 5.0. I like the higher revving engine, and the smoother feel to the engine. I can't say I prefer the sound of one vs the other because I'm gonna put mufflers that quieten the noise level on either engine regardless, but there is a different sound to them for sure.

The 06 engine is a 3v,. I'm not sure zactly, but I'd be willing to wager the cams are even higher, i don't think that there is a head other than stock.
well said and that's why I may be better off if I'm going to do anything, I'd might as well just get an 03-04 cobra. If I decide and have the choice to maybe check out a modded one with cams and headers or what have you and also check out a stock one, I'd decide which I'd want to go with. I'm sure even with a stock 03-04 cobra I'd be happy for the hp alone and may just decide to do the exhaust and that be it.

Ideally a 2015 Saleen black label ( $74 k with 750 Hp ) is what I really want and will get once I hit the Lotto :)
So other than that I'd probably just do a 331 in my 95 later as well as maybe the 03-04 cobra if I decide to get another