ideal head for my 331

Modular2v

Founding Member
Jun 30, 2002
oklahoma
Ok guys, i think im going to finally break down and buy some heads. . . i know all my choices but really want your guys opinions on what makes the best power for my combo. My setup is below and keep in mind the stealth is being replaced by a victor jr

• Sponsors (?)

retro50 said:
A.F.R. 185's.

X2. AFR's work well out of the box. They are a well balanced set of heads.

I have worked with Edelbrocks (6037's) and TFS TW and have found these need some port finishing (especially on the exhaust side) to approach box stock AFR's.

AFR's 185's!! I love them. If you go to their website you can find write ups on how they can get 500+ HPs out of these things. Ill see if i can find a link
Hmm they took down the link to the engine that i built mine after. I remember it had 505HP and 424 lbs of torq. Owell, they still have all kinds of good stuff on thier website though.

It all boils down to the combustion chamber, intake port and exhaust port size.

Victor Jr.- 210cc intake ports, 75cc exhaust ports, 60cc combustion chamber

AFR 185's-185cc intake ports, 69cc exhaust ports, 61cc combustion chamber

The AFR's are nice heads but you get more bang for the buck with the Victor Jr.'s. Save some money on heads to put towards a custom cam.

Modular2v said:
Would some twisted wedge heads work very well or atleast better than my ported windsor heads? Im having them offered to me for 700 dollars:shrug:

Hell yeah!

Nice deal if there complete,particularly Track Heats (no EGR and better springs,lock,retainers) but the standard Twisted Wedge are almost the same.

Mostly it will be in weigth savings,you'll probably pick up another 25hp or so,but you can also have them ported later for more power.

bluevenom867 said:
Hell yeah!

Nice deal if there complete,particularly Track Heats (no EGR and better springs,lock,retainers) but the standard Twisted Wedge are almost the same.

Mostly it will be in weigth savings,you'll probably pick up another 25hp or so,but you can also have them ported later for more power.
ahhh i didnt think about the smog ports!!!!:nonono: ill just plug them! So you really think it would be worth the cash? I know the heads will have more potential down the road with port work. I guess my biggest fear is shelling out 700 bucks and losing performance. . . if thats possible?