Idle Air Control, where is it?

Scanmaster

Aug 24, 2008
Hi folks. As you can see this is my first post, been lurking and searching for awhile now.

My recently purchased 98 Cobra (stock sans shifter and CB) with 50K miles on the clock, has an anoyingly "lazy" return to idle when shifting. Some folks call it "hanging" between shifts.
I see there is a fix for this useing the "copper pipe cap" with 9/32 hole mod, or the IAC restrictor plate mod.

My problem is (after reading posts dating back to 02) is I'm not sure where the IAC is on the 98 Cobra, and which "fix" I can use.

Can any one chim in and help me out here.

Thanks.....love the car, love the Forum.

• Sponsors (?)

It's on the pass side, behind the throttle body, on the back of the manifold.
For what it's worth, I have the same issue with my 04 Mach 1 - a high idle, especially when cold, and it hangs). I tried the IAT restrictor plate and it made it worse. The copper pipe mod doesn't apply to the 4V motor...the 'plumbing' is a lil different than the 2V.
I've been told that the only way to fix this is with a tune. I've also cleaned my IAC a couple times, and lubed it, but it's still stubborn.
Best of luck.
Chris

I just did a google image search and found this pic - I may be wrong about the location...see the attached photo.
24535d1172775156-your-mustang-stumbling-dieing-idle-iacvalve2.jpg

Thanks guys, after reading many...many old posts, I got a discription. Long plastic tube in front of plenum that connects air intake to the IAC. I placed 1/2 copper end cap with 9/32 hole, put it in the side nearest intake and....viola....seems to work. Even with my 4v, the revs drop between shifts like I like them too.
I'll keep you all posted.