Idle problems

Twilight Blue

Aug 3, 2005
My motor sputters eraticly and the tachometer jumps everywhere more than the engine does. It sputters and dies, but always starts up again. But the symptoms imediatly return. I am stumped. Stumped like a douglas fir in a logger's jambori.:shrug: Electric, fuel pump, I don't know. Help?

• Sponsors (?)

To me, this sounds like a classic case of a failing ignition module. A jumpy tach and stalling and revving are usually the telltale signs. If you have a 1983-1990, it will be the grey rectangular thingy on the distributor. If you have a 1991-1993, it will be mounted on the intake. Replace that and see what it does for you.

May be the icm (ignition control module) or the coil packs if 91-93. Any CEL light? if so get the code that will help diagnose the problem. Do a search on here for ICM or coil packs, that will give you lots of info.

Glad you got it figured out. I know there are some things I can fix for myself and others I can't. When I had the problem, I had my shop diagnose it and then I turned the wrenches to replace the parts. I am curious, if you don't mind me asking, what did Ford charge for the diagnosis and parts?