Idle Question - Need Advice

White Wolf

Dec 10, 2018
Las Vegas NV
I have a 2013 V6 Mustang. CAI, Long Tube Headers, 4:10 gears, Bama 91 Octane Tune

Everything was running great for the past few months.

Lately the car has been acting strange at times when I come to a light idling. Going from 1,000 rpm down to 500 or even 300 then up to 1100 rpm. Also does it at times when I get on it from around 30mph acts like a starving fuel issue then pops out of it and goes like hell.

Before you reply know that I have ran 3 cans of Seafoam thru. Driven that out for over 50 miles. Changed gas stations twice currently running Chevron Supreme 91. Tried adding NOS Octane boost. None of these things corrected the problem. My fuel filter is lifetime in tank. So I don't think thats it. I do have a sensor light on for rear O2 sensors on the long tubes. Bama tells me that light will stay on til I put extensions but should have no effect on how the car runs or tune.

I also went in and cleaned the sensors in the CAI thinking maybe it was a CAI thing. That did not change anything.

Has anyone experienced this before and do you have an answer for me. Its a minor problem but bothers me as I like my vehicles to run flawlessly. I need to get this figured out.

Thanks,
Craig
fullsizeoutput_14a6.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

Mine (a lot of other v6's too) does the 'growl' when stopping for a red light or stop sign. It doesn't bother me and has never died. I had a new throttle body put on for the customer satisfaction program a couple years ago. It still does it. I have 3 tunes and it does it with all of them. I have long tube headers with the extensions for the 02 sensors and don't have any 'check engine lights' but my tunes are several years old, so I'm not sure if the rear sensors are 'turned off' or not.

Thank you David. Nice looking mustang. The growl would not bother me but almost dieing does. Also at time when I get on it a bit around 30mph it acts fuel starved for about 3-5 seconds then kicks in and GOES. I ordered new plugs last night. Ill start with the process of elimination I guess.

Thanks, your Mustang looks nice too. Do you have a 'catch can' ? If so, feel around the fittings that screw into the can. Your problem sounds 'almost' like a vacuum leak. One of my plastic fitting had a small split. With the motor running, I could feel a little bit of air blowing. I replaced the fittings (2) with brass fittings bought from my local hardware store. I was having hesitation like you and this fixed it. Just giving you something else to think about :)

I do not have a catch can. Tonight I sprayed the heck out of my BBK 73mm Throttle body inside even the gear area with Carb Cleaner. I ruled that out. Not really any change. My big question is can you tell me where the Idle Air Control Valve is (IAC) on a 2013 V6??? I have searched and cannot find it. Thats the next thing I am taking off and apart cleaning with Carb Cleaner. Do you know where its at?

Best I can tell is, it's in the throttle body. You really should use throttle body cleaner for the throttle body and sensor cleaner for the sensors. I've read carb cleaner is too harsh and might hurt things. I've noticed some of the newer carb cleaner is safe to use on the throttle body if it says so on the can :)

Reactions: 1 user