Idler Pulley Importance

k00ksta

May 13, 2007
Chicago
A while ago I purchased a Serpentine Belt from autozone and they sold me the one that was for no-air conditioning. Well I was going to yank the AC but still have yet to do so so I have the belt on my car right now and the motor is running well right now even at idle so how important is the idler pulley? here is a pic of it right now

motor2.jpg

as you can see its over the top of the idler pulley their. I guess I should go and pickup the correct belt and hang on the the current one for when I finally get the AC removal kit. Just looking for some feed back thanks.

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

The idler pulley is necessary to reduce the free belt length from alternator to PS pump and prevent belt flutter at higher rpm. You can leave yours as it is temporarily as long as you keep the revs down. If you rev the engine high, there's a risk the belt could get thrown off.
When you remove the AC just get a shorter belt and run it from the PS pump around the water pump pulley (CCW), then the crank pulley (CW), tensioner pulley (CCW), alternator pulley (CW), and idler pulley (CCW).
Just remember that as a general rule, the grooved pulleys spin clockwise and the smooth pulleys spin counter-clockwise so that should help you with the belt routing.

Can I see a picture of your homemade alternator bracket?
I just use a piece of a tool box slide/lock bracket thing and drilled a hole for an extra nut and bolt and extended the belt slightly. If I recall, the parts store didn't have the right size belt. or something, so I didn't have to change the tensioner..

Attachments

• 670148-R1-012-4A_006.jpg
    670148-R1-012-4A_006.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 126