If I have to pull the heads, IDEAS while they are off!

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Dallas, GA
I think I may have a blown head gasket. If I do, I will have to pull the head to replace but it isn't that simple for addicts like me, modifications must take place or I will have withdraws. (shake, foam at the mouth, convultions) So I have some ideas:

HEADS: I love the Thumpers, although AFR 165's would probally be worth cheating on them, the money tree has few branches. I have the valve spring upgrade already, but I was thinking of sending them to Thumper again for a GT40 valve upgrade, 1.84 intake valves and the ports matched to the new valve. I already discussed this with Thumper, he's concerned I might loose a little bottom end for some top end, but that doesn't bother me.

CAM: The B cam on 1.7's is alright, I wasn't that happy with the thing when I put it in over stock on 1.7's, lost a lot of bottom end and drivability for a some 4K up gains. I am thinking of either advancing it from 2* to 4* or getting a Comp Cam or a FTI cam. I am leaning towards the FTI cam heavily.

INTAKE: I have the Edelbrock Performer but I would like to do a Performer RPM upper upgrade. Either that or use the current intake upper and port it or have it extrude honed or maby just leave the intake alone.

So what do you all think???

• Sponsors (?)

Definitely do the cam. The rest, well i wouldnt bother with the valve upgrade, save that money towards future heads or go ahead and upgrade them right now. As for the intake, the Performer is enough intake even for the AFR's so just keep it. You dont really gain taht much. There was a guy who recently swapped from the Performer to the RPM and did back to back dynos and dyno'd the same number and ran the same times.

I would not dump anymore money in the stock heads, it sounds like you want to go faster. A upgrade would be better IMO. If you need a FTI cam, plan ahead and get it on order now, Ed's busy be prepared to wait a little....

I figured I'd hear that about the heads. The thing is that heads like AFR's will be about $1300-1400, and the valve upgrade would only be about $200 total. I'm thinking of going with a stroker combo. I want to do a big stroker like a 408 type, or more realistically probally a 347. When I build that I will get some real big heads, but either way, this will be some time in the future while I save and build. In the mean time I have a stock 302 bottom end, and it runs pretty good. 8.5 at 85mph at a rough track on 17" wheels isn't exactly a slug. Thumper advised against the valve upgrade when I first was considereing the heads because he said I wouldn't bennifit much from a larger valve and probally would loose low flow and torque. Then again I was stock from the TB to the oil pan and stock headers and H pipe. Things have changed, and he'll do the work for no extra cost as though I was ordering them originally and said he would do a little extra work to take advantage of my intake, exaust, and cam.

I kind of figured it would be a waste with the performer intake, it outflows the GT40/Cobra and people are putting down 400+ with those intakes.

A cam is almost definate. I never have really been happy with the B cam, and have heard so many things about custom cams, everyone with a custom cam thinks OTS cams and especailly alphebet cams are a waste and are so :banana: :spot: :hail2: especailly with the FTI cams.

you dont HAVE to go with AFR if the 1300 price is goin on in the back of your heads. Get some Trickflow Twisted Wedge heads. Those are only 1000 and make just as much power on a nicely matched setup. I got mine from Pacifica Peformance
http://www.pacificaperformance.com/index.asp?initemuid=200&fcmd=item
They offer free shipping on order over 400 i believe. Thats the route i took. They're 170cc and would still work pretty good on a 302 based stroker with the 2.02 valve size

A apreciate the info but even with TFS's thats $800 more compared to the $200 on the Thumper's, and I could take that difference and have a 351W machined out to accept a stroker, and that is my goal.

I just want a little edge to keep me happy for now. I will keep the Thumper's even after I switch to something else. I know I will eventually get another 5.0 powered vehicle. I might build a sleeper down the road, I kind of miss the days where everyone who thought they had something would try me at a light, now no one wants any.

Well seems like you pretty much had your mind made up. The way i see it, you're paying 200 + shipping dollars for a 5 maybe 10 hp increase tops. Orrrrr you could save those 200 bux and be 20% of the way towards gettin some heads you can grow into when the money tree grows a few more branches.

I wouldnt rule out some alum heads, keep your eye out on the classifieds. Because if you thik about it, 600 for the thumpers + spring upgrade + 200 for the valve upgrade ~ 900. Wow, you're in alum head money territory already. And guess which head will get you more on the resale? I know i wouldnt pay 400 bux for a set of used E7's.

Maybe this question is better posed in its own thread, but how do you folks decide what mod to put with other mods. How do you know what component will work with another and what to expect from the component from a HP standpoint. I just noticed all these comments like "well with the heads you have a valve upgrade won't do much" or "that came upgrade will work good"

Thanks,

fost9508 said:
Maybe this question is better posed in its own thread, but how do you folks decide what mod to put with other mods. How do you know what component will work with another and what to expect from the component from a HP standpoint. I just noticed all these comments like "well with the heads you have a valve upgrade won't do much" or "that came upgrade will work good"

Thanks,

experience, many have been there and done that !!

fost9508 said:

Thanks,

Some of us use info from proven combos, some use info from the net or magazines.

One thing to always keep in mind is what plans do you have for the future. Is it worth the money to buy parts twice just because you don't have the rest of the combo, sometimes yes sometimes no.

MY OWN feelings with heads is this...

If you ever plan to make good power 320RWHP+, add a power adder or build a stroker the stock head should not even be considered. It will cost to much money IMO to make a stock head work for that application (and it still will never perform like a good aftermarket head). If you have to put $900 in a stock head, for $400 more or less you can get a good alum head that will allow you room to grow and make more power, which will allow you to go faster.

Dyno numbers are fun, but in the end it really comes down to HP/TQ across the entire rpm band, and quicker ET's...after all it is all about winning the race and going faster at the track. The cam and valvetrain are a very important feature most guys overlook, if you do not have the proper valvetrain you are giving up a lot of power.....

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but if it were me and i were going so far as to take the heads and everything off, i'd just go all the way and pull the motor out while you're at it. If you don't have the cash for a rebuild, you could at least tear down the motor and degrease it, repaint it and make everything under your hood nice and tidy. If i had a garage/engine lift i'd be doing the same.