If you replaced your stock H pipe read this

Defleshed

Satanic Mechanic
Nov 30, 2003
In Torment, In Hell
yeah so I bought an offroad X pipe, it is on it's way. I heard someone complaining about the passenger's side down pipe being a major bitch to unbolt. I jacked the car up earlier today out of curiousity, and i was blown away. How in the hell are you suppost to not only get to those 2 bolts up there, but get them OFF. The left side (drivers side) might be a pain in the ass, but it looks do-able. But christ, that right side... Whew. I am working with a 3/8s socket wrench, 3/8s exention, then coming off of the extension is a 3/8s ujoint, and attached to that is a 14mm socket. it looks so bizzare and i still dont know if i am going to be able to reach\unbolt. if you were able to sucessfully unbolt your H pipe with ease, or without the huge deal i am making out of this, PLEASE enlighten me as to HOW YOU DID IT! is there some tool that would make my life a lot easier? the only thing that i could think of to help the process would be "liquid wrench" to loosen it a bit before I go at it with the socket wrench. But please, offer me the knowledge of how you accomplished this.

• Sponsors (?)

Defleshed said:
yeah so I bought an offroad X pipe, it is on it's way. I heard someone complaining about the passenger's side down pipe being a major bitch to unbolt. I jacked the car up earlier today out of curiousity, and i was blown away. How in the hell are you suppost to not only get to those 2 bolts up there, but get them OFF. The left side (drivers side) might be a pain in the ass, but it looks do-able. But christ, that right side... Whew. I am working with a 3/8s socket wrench, 3/8s exention, then coming off of the extension is a 3/8s ujoint, and attached to that is a 14mm socket. it looks so bizzare and i still dont know if i am going to be able to reach\unbolt. if you were able to sucessfully unbolt your H pipe with ease, or without the huge deal i am making out of this, PLEASE enlighten me as to HOW YOU DID IT! is there some tool that would make my life a lot easier? the only thing that i could think of to help the process would be "liquid wrench" to loosen it a bit before I go at it with the socket wrench. But please, offer me the knowledge of how you accomplished this.

Its difficult, but not impossible. Putting an offroad pipe back on is a breeze. Its straightforward task tho, use the universal and a couple of long extensions, and youll get it.

grumble, i was waiting for something along the lines of

"Gee defleshed, you never heard of the mustang-remove-a-pipe tool? you press and button, and the H pipe falls right to the ground fully unbolted. they sell them at sears for 50 cents a peice."

thanks for the help though. im going to see if i cant find a bigger extension. :nice:

right, but listen. now i'm scared to take the damn thing off. i just jacked the car up in the garage, and went down there with my ujointed 6incher.... i was trying to reach the bottom bolt, and i tapped this yellow cylinder with a red wire coming out of it, and another smaller red and white wire... with that, a ton of sparks flew out... i was not shocked, but it scared the crap out of me, and it "burnt" a small hole into my socket. WTF WAS THAT? anyone else have that problem? i dont know how i was not shocked, but i wasnt. the yellow cylinder i am talking about that eletrified my equipment, is on the passengers side near the bottom bolt of where the downpipe connects to the manifold... i say yellow, but i mean copper looking. if you have any idea what that was let me know lol. my car is an 02 GT btw if you want to see what im talking about. anyway, i think the 20incher will be a perfect fit.

Get the longest extension you can. I think I used two long ones combined on it.

Putting the O/R pipe on is much easier--no pesky cats in the way! :nice:

You got a replacement metal gasket for the passenger side, right?

JCKnife said:
Get the longest extension you can. I think I used two long ones combined on it.

Putting the O/R pipe on is much easier--no pesky cats in the way! :nice:

You got a replacement metal gasket for the passenger side, right?

replacement metal gasket for hte passenger side? that better frickin come with my x pipe. is it suppost to? i bought the full assembly catted X pipe with replacement racepipes for the cats (to swap in and out, just for that 1 day out of the year when i gotta get inspected hehe)

oh yeah and jas, my starter engine tried to kill me lol

Defleshed said:
1st) Don't use a 14mm socket on anything. You shouldn't be using metric on an American car. Common mistake that barely/rarely causes any problems & Defleshed right, but listen. now i'm scared to take the damn thing off. i just jacked the car up in the garage, and went down there with my ujointed 6incher.... i was trying to reach the bottom bolt, and i tapped this yellow cylinder with a red wire coming out of it, and another smaller red and white wire... with that, a ton of sparks flew out... i was not shocked, but it scared the crap out of me, and it "burnt" a small hole into my socket. WTF WAS THAT? anyone else have that problem? i dont know how i was not shocked, but i wasnt. the yellow cylinder i am talking about that eletrified my equipment, is on the passengers side near the bottom bolt of where the downpipe connects to the manifold... i say yellow, but i mean copper looking. if you have any idea what that was let me know lol. my car is an 02 GT btw if you want to see what im talking about. anyway, i think the 20incher will be a perfect fit.
2nd) Disconnect your negative battery terminal if you're afraid of being shocked by your starter.

Defleshed said:
oh alright. i didnt know metric mattered? alright well thanks for the advice. and good call on the battery. i dont feel like becoming a roast turkey under my car.
I don't blame you; being fried hurts & messes up your hair. The metric thing is only cuz the car's American so if a metric fits a standard socket'll fit just a tad better. To test, get a hex bolt that fits decently into your 14mm or any size socket. Find whichever standard socket's near that size & put it over the bolt & you'll notice a tighter fit. Only works if it's an American-made bolt.

A 10 or 12 inch extension with ujoint and mid sized socket should do it. And there are some metric bolts on the Mustangs, I did my MRT h-pipe and Magnaflow cat-back about 8 months ago. Some of the bolts were 9/16 inch and some were 15mm. I think the h-pipe to manifold were 15mm and the h-pipe to cat-back were 9/16. I could have that backwards though.

I also used PB blaster on the manifold bolts, let it sit on there overnight. Came off pretty easy, but then my GT was only 3 months old at the time.

alright so does anyone know what the deal with what JCKnife said about 'a replacement metal gasket for the passenger side'? because he got me all worried now. my X pipe didnt come in yet (still shipping), so i dont know if i have a replacement metal gasket or not. the pipe i bought said "FULL ASSEMBLY" it's no partial, or shortie, so i dont see why the hell it wouldnt. did a replacement gasket come with your new x/h pipes? should mine?

Alot to cover here.

1) I'm with JonJon - extensions and swivels.

2) Disconnect the battery before working on the car. :nonono:

3) American auto makers have been putting metric bolts on these cars for a while, make sure you got the right socket for the bolt you're working on.