ignition box question

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
my friend at work was telling me today once i hook up an ignition box to my car it will totally eliminate the ECU from advancing/retarding spark and that the box does it all. is this true?
the guy is smart and knowledgable but sometimes he feeds me BS so i duno.

it doesnt make any sence to me, i ordered the summit street/strip box and its a universal box so the box doesnt have any idea of what spark advance/retard i would need.

i still think the EEC continues to function like normal just with more spark power.

let me know if i'm wrong
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

From my understanding the ECU will still control the spark advance as it normally would but the ignition box, i.e. MSD, Crane, Mallory etc will just control the discharge, intensity, etc of the spark.

The ECU advances and retards the spark based on lots of sensor inputs, ACT, ECT and the like. The ignition box doesn't get any of the inputs so I don't see how it could accurately advance and retard the spark.

So I believe that you are right and he is not.

No prob.

Did you ever get the engine miss that you were having worked out? I haven't been able to get mine squared up and was wondering if you got yours fixed and if so what fixed it.

the light duh duh duh at cruising speed?

its still there, doesnt seem as noticable i think.

it doesnt affect drivability/performance.

i am thinking either

A: the FMU is dumping too much fuel into the engine, i had to take alot of FP out of it to get it running best, like 33 psi with plug off and capped.

OR

B: the fmu is good but the factory ignition isnt providing enough spark to burn the extra fuel.

this summit box and coil may clear some things up and run better. i also may try a step colder plug also.

I have an MSD 6al, MSD coil and MSD dizzy that I am going to swap in this weekend. I already have the coil an the 6al and the dizzy ended up costing me around $270 for both so I figured it was a good deal. I'll let you know if that takes care of my prob.