Engine Ignition coil placement

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
The new carb on my 83 has created a problem with my stock coil/bracket location... No room
I am keeping the stock Duraspark II that came on the car.. My question is can I install a newer style coil on the strut tower ( new bracket/new coil ) LIke the newer cars have, and then attach the two wires to the coil?? It would certainly make this change pretty easy.....
Found some info on this that seemed mixed.. Some said they have done it and no problems.... Other said the newer TFI coil needs full 12V and the red/resistor wire on my system will reduce it to around 10 volts..

Anyone have any experience doing this?? Thanks
DSCF1148.JPG
DSCF1147.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

I never liked the coil mounted on the intake or anywhere on the engine for that matter. I don't know if the newer efi coil is compatible, you can mount that bracket to the inner fender or shock tower, the newer efi coil would look better though.

I never liked the coil mounted on the intake or anywhere on the engine for that matter. I don't know if the newer efi coil is compatible, you can mount that bracket to the inner fender or shock tower, the newer efi coil would look better though.
Thanks for the response... My main concern is whether the newer TFI coil is a " plug and play" with my Duraspark II system?? Hoping someone on here has done the switch???????

I assume you are using that intake manifold because that is what came with the engine, or that is what you had?
I would hate to think you choose that intake on purpose...

I assume you are using that intake manifold because that is what came with the engine, or that is what you had?
I would hate to think you choose that intake on purpose...
It was the intake that came on the car in 83... I did not want to get involved with height issues as I plan on using the stock air cleaner too..
Is it a horsepower issue your comment refers to?

Last edited:
I forget, what size engine is that and where did the intake come from?
Its the original intake off of my 83.. I looked at getting a new one, but did not want to screw with a potential height/hood problem... The Summit carb looks tall but I measured it and it is exactly the same height as the original smogged up holley that was on the car since new.....
Main reason was I just didnt' need anything different.....