Ignition Coil Sparking?

blueink

Oct 17, 2007
HOUSTON, TX
So this mornig i go to turn on my 90 Mustang, fires up like usual, but I kept hearing a ticking noise. Turns out my ignition coil is sparking pretty loud! It just started doing it, before I go out and buy another one, anyone have any ideas. The car has a msd ignition box, new plugs, stock dizzy, frpp red wires, the loud sparking just started this morning.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure the coil wire is securely on. It sounds like you may be getting an arc from the wire conductor to the coil conductor.

if by coil wire u mean the red wire coming off the dizy that yes its on their secure. The car will run but I can see that a fat blue spark will fly from the + side of the coil eiher straight back to the strut tower or forward to the metal brace holding the coil

So something is not insulated which is causing the arc to happen. With the ignition off look where the arc was coming from and try to find any tears or breaks in insulation.

btw, be careful make sure the ignition is off, lol. MSD sparks tickle a little bit.:rlaugh:

Agreed with the insulation idea. If it's aftermarket, the epoxy might have broken down (you see this a lot with older coil packs on DIS cars). You can try to reinsulate it but I'd just get a new coil.......

So something is not insulated which is causing the arc to happen. With the ignition off look where the arc was coming from and try to find any tears or breaks in insulation.

btw, be careful make sure the ignition is off, lol. MSD sparks tickle a little bit.:rlaugh:

the arc is coming off of the msd blaster coil, from the Positive side of the coil. It either jumps back towards the strut tower OR forward to the metal bracket. It just started doing it, SO my first though was the coil bas bad, keep in mind i dont know chit bout these mustangs. I did however go throught the wires and everything was wrapped up nicely and connected. So im going to go get a new one first and go from there, since I just got the car, im not sure hold old the coild really is...